This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As much as I loved this generation, I regret spending all this money this gen

#1BBQMooseheadPosted 2/20/2014 12:06:16 PM(edited)
Reason I ask? Well because over the past 7-8 years in the 360/PS4 gen of console gaming, I've spent easily 10-15K on console gaming. Games whether its renting or buying, accesories, online memberships, buying newer updated console models etc. Yes, one could look at that money and immediately notice that, that would buy you a nicer car! Or how about a very nice 12 months living elsewhere and exploring a new culture. Or better yet, in the bank. If I could go back in time today and have the choice to have all that extra money back in the sacraficie of giving up the last gen consoles experience, sadly I would. Do I regret it? As many great memories and games Ive had over the past 8 years, most definitely yes.

I was a diehard gamer for about 5 years where I would buy a $60 game once a week, sometimes two games a week. It may not seem like a lot at first, but over time it adds up trust me. I will admit, I went through a phase where I was heavily addicted to video games. Speaking from my experience, it is one of the most rotten most depressing undescribable feelings in the world. There were many MANY dark weekends and days that I would spend hours on end playing video games. Thankfully, I was able to get myself out of it, but thinking back, I felt it took a lot longer than it should have taken. I can gaurentee that I would never let myself get into this state ever again.

Well I am in my mid 30s now and have noticed over the past 3 years that my priorities in life have changed and my interest in console gaming has significantly dropped. My game time, my interest, motivation, curiousity has slowly been on a decline over the years. Not saying that Im not into video games anymore, but some times people hit a certain part in their life when they have to evaluate their life and what to invest time into short and long term, what their goals are etc. The big question is, the long term benefits and pay offs.

For example, over the past two years, Ive much more physically active and spend a lot of time in the gym now. The biggest reason for this? Simply put, the long term payoff. You feel better mentally and physically, and also look better mentally and physically. I cant say that video games has anything even remotely close to this kind of payoff long term. Thats why I truely believe now that console gaming is best as a side hobby, not a main one.

There was a point last year where i sat down and thought long and hard over the past 8 years and said .... I didnt realize how much money i spent on gaming over the past 8 years. And what was the payoff or benefit that I had today? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It didnt make me a better person, or a person with more skills and personal assets that can play a positive role in my life. It didnt give me skills that I could branch off in other areas of life, like work, or self confidence. It didnt make me a better person.

Is anyone else in my shoes? Left console gaming or dont plan on buying a next gen console because either your interests dropped and you have new ones? Or maybe you dont like the direction the industry has been headed. Lets face it, console gaming is an expensive hobby to enjoy. I also do not like the direction the industry has been going with games of prices going up (Canada at least), ridiculous DLC prices, developers gouging us for every nickel and dime.

I will admit, when people ask my what my hobbies are, console gaming is one of them but over the years I would never tell anyone that (especially employers) cause I do still believe that a lot of people look down on people in their mid 30s (like me), who still plays games. As judgemental as that may be, its true.

Lets face it, the quality of games over the years has significantly dropped over the years. Ive learned the hard way. I know friends who I havent talked to in forever because yes, they moved on to other hobbies in life.
#2toadiemanPosted 2/20/2014 11:52:51 AM
I don't think I've come close to spending $15k on games in my whole life. Good for you for cutting back though.
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#31319_13055Posted 2/20/2014 11:58:26 AM
Big deal I have spent approximately 20k in just under 4 years on gaming, 100% of my income after rent goes on gaming.

P.S Food is included in my rent.
#4TerotrousPosted 2/20/2014 11:58:57 AM
BBQMoosehead posted...
I cant say that video games has anything even remotely close to this kind of payoff long term. Thats why I truely believe now that console gaming is best as a side hobby, not a main one.

Gaming relieves stress, and stress is extremely bad for your health. Many people severely undervalue relaxation time from a health perspective.

It's true that there are other hobbies, including some that are more constructive than gaming. I encourage people to pursue creative endeavors as I feel that this deepens you as a person, but no one can be creative all the time. You need downtime to recharge your creative energies or you'll just burn out.

I didnt realize how much money i spent on gaming over the past 8 years. And what was the payoff or benefit that I had today? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It didnt make me a better person, or a person with more skills and personal assets that can play a positive role in my life. It didnt give me skills that I could branch off in other areas of life, like work, or self confidence. It didnt make me a better person.

I doubt you got nothing out of it. Never played any games with your friends or family? Never played any games that inspired you in one way or another? Didn't learn anything about what makes for a compelling experience from playing good games?

For me personally, there's no question that some of what I learned about pacing from playing video games has helped me to become a better writer.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#5ReportMeTyreePosted 2/20/2014 11:59:30 AM
....ok?
---
PSN & XBL: TYruler50. Im backkkkkk! Hermeses!
no more space dockers.
#6BBQMoosehead(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 11:59:59 AM
toadieman posted...
I don't think I've come close to spending $15k on games in my whole life. Good for you for cutting back though.

Its not hard. 8 years of XBL memb (even at the discounted price of $40 I always bought at), equals to $320 over the years.
#7LogicLikerPosted 2/20/2014 12:05:45 PM(edited)
Lucky this generation really sucked and no games could get me addicted like the ones from the PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/early 2000-PC era

I didn't have to quit or try .. the industry became so bad and so greedy, it was easy to find other things more enjoyable.

There are plenty of studies out there that support the idea that video games strengthen your ability to learn, retain, and execute information. So all that time and money wasn't a 100% purely lost investment.
#8archizzyPosted 2/20/2014 12:06:52 PM
Hobbies in many forms generally aren't for the benefit of bettering yourself or some type of end benefit/payoff. They are simply entertainment/fun. As long as it doesn't come off as a sacrifice to other things in your life there is nothing wrong with that.

Even if you want to view it in a beneficial way there is positive effects if it relaxes you, relieves stress, brings joy, and gives your brain a workout with hand/eye coordination. In no way am I saying it is a substitute for working out and staying fit but mental health wise it can have benefits as a hobby.

Lastly if you break down the math it's not the shocking number you seem to think. Even at the higher end stated $15,000 if we figure that over 7 years that is $2142 per year or $178 a month or $5.86 a day. Even cheaper if we didn't take the high end figures. This is "worst case scenario"

You stated you had a lot of enjoyment. Countless hours of fun, for under $6 a day. To me gaming is a cheap hobby compared to the hours of entertainment gained.

This is your opinion, and can't be "wrong", many times people change priorities or interests over time. But I don't think regret should necessarily come into play. Again it's fine your personal interests are changing but I wouldn't lament on it, which you can't change anyway.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#9fastfoodkillsPosted 2/20/2014 12:07:21 PM
Most things we do in life are basically wasting time, like people working until they are 60 or 65? Some boring job they hate? Its a wasted life , at least for those hours at work...

But most people dont go after their dreams... Or know how to let money work for them so they can travel....

Its sad.

But its still luxury problems compared to the third world.

You are not supposed to regret what happened, you are supposed to look forward.. But maybe your post can help some of the younger users on here who still think gaming is a skill.
---
Fast Food Kills More People than Smoking and Alcohol
#10PrettyBoyMarthPosted 2/20/2014 12:24:55 PM
If you enjoyed playing those games then it wasnt a waste of money/time.

Like buying anything else you just need to be smart with your money. Buying 1 or 2 60 dollar games a week is not being smart.
---
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 505