This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Days of 2D Castlevania are gone" please read article first

#1docman864Posted 2/23/2014 3:38:42 AM(edited)
David Cox goes on to explain why in the following article

http://nintendoeverything.com/lords-of-shadow-producer-believes-the-days-of-2d-castlevania-games-are-gone/

2D Castlevania games are fun, but I seriously hate the fact that these games are overshadowed by other popular titles. It really sucks IMO. I also can't help to feel the same for the 2D Metroid series. Maybe David Cox and Konami should have let Koji IGA handle Mirrors of Fate.
---
"Interactive movie = Video game" --- TheNewWave
Beyond: Two Souls is GOTY of 2013
#2bloodcoastPosted 2/23/2014 3:46:44 AM
I bet if they let the right people make a real 2D Castlevania game, it'll sell millions easily.
#3DarkSymbiotePosted 2/23/2014 4:13:19 AM
You can't expect the name of Castlevania to be grand again with a direction like this.
---
My Fable Anniversary Review:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/X360/717914-fable-anniversary/reviews/review-157246
#4JenniferTatePosted 2/23/2014 4:21:44 AM
I agree with his assessment, but don't like it.
---
"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer." - Scott Stratten
#5656stoogePosted 2/23/2014 4:23:31 AM
Why does Castlevania need to be a multi million dollar AAA IP though?

Why can't they continue making smaller, cheaper 2d titles and releasing them on PSN and XBL?

It seems like every second AAA title is failing nowadays and killing off the IP and dev team behind it, and yet they keep trying to sell us more expensive titles that aren't anything like what fans are asking for.

Castlevania has(had) a fanbase. Surely the best thing to do is to figure out how to please that fanbase while turning a profit. Not how to use an existing, popular IP and try and change it to appeal to the masses and draw in CoD sales.
#6docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 4:32:58 AM
it's hard to make profit with smaller titles. seems like Konami has been struggling quite a bit with the series thanks to lack of support from consumers.
---
"Interactive movie = Video game" --- TheNewWave
Beyond: Two Souls is GOTY of 2013
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 2/23/2014 5:02:11 AM
656stooge posted...
Castlevania has(had) a fanbase. Surely the best thing to do is to figure out how to please that fanbase while turning a profit. Not how to use an existing, popular IP and try and change it to appeal to the masses and draw in CoD sales.

I think it's the problem with executives in general. Star Trek has a fanbase but the new ones are basically generic sci-fi.

docman864 posted...
it's hard to make profit with smaller titles. seems like Konami has been struggling quite a bit with the series thanks to lack of support from consumers.

Konami has been struggling in general. Without Kojima they would be irrelevant today. Heck, without Kojima the first Lords of Shadow would have been worse.
---
My Fable Anniversary Review:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/X360/717914-fable-anniversary/reviews/review-157246
#8Dead-DragonPosted 2/23/2014 5:10:44 AM(edited)
I'm not a big fan of how they assume that 2D cannot sell. There's no AAA 2D action games on the market so how in the **** do they know it won't appeal to a large audience? Because a bunch of indie / arcade games don't sell millions? Well no ****. Because the titles exclusive to specific handhelds and the ones that came out 15 years ago didn't sell millions? The market overall for gaming is much larger nowadays, and handheld exclusives c'mon nobody can expect those to sell millions. Not to mention the development cost can be much lower.

It's clear that 2D can sell well thanks the Street Fighter 4, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, etc.

I'm just glad this is the last Mercury Steam castlevania because they suck, that much is certain.

It's likely Castlevania will always be a ripoff of other series', and barring some awesome unrealistic nonexistent 2D action game to come out in the near future, I hope they rip off Dark Souls next. And not God of War, the worst 3D action game on the market yet somehow the most financially successful.
#9LordMordethPosted 2/23/2014 5:08:25 AM
I wouldn't mind another Symphony of the Night like Castlevania that was actually done well, had decent visuals and wasn't a blatant cash grab.

But it'll never happen apparently so guess Lords of Shadow 3 is the best we can honestly hope for at this point.
---
If the above post offended you, chances are you needed to be offended.
#10Raven_CyarmPosted 2/23/2014 5:15:01 AM
bloodcoast posted...
I bet if they let the right people make a real 2D Castlevania game, it'll sell millions easily.

Hellooooooooooo Captain Delusional!
---
Daniel B-R-Y-A-N. There's NO T.
He's not related to Kobe.