This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did you ever play a game that was too complicated for the game to be fun?

#1nanofazz97Posted 2/26/2014 7:07:37 PM
I remember only one game that made me feel that way: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. It my first ever Metal Gear Solid (the first I ever played was the original MGS1 on the PS1 system, but MGS Peace Walker was the first MGS I ever owned), and while the story was interesting, and the visuals were impressive for a PSP game, the gameplay menu system was a complete train wreck. I remember that there was this central database where you would modify your weapon sets, add more health items, and change the gameplay settings in order to prepare for the next story mission. I also remember that the game stated that you would have more weapons available in the weapon store as you progress through the storyline. I was done with around a quarter of the game, and I still had the same two weapons that I started out with at the beginning, and I could never get any new items unless I randomly found them in the environment, all because I never knew how to use that database. It was really confusing, because the instructions on how to use it at the beginning of the game were so vague. When I reached the part of the game where I had to take down the enemy tank (which was after the part with the armored car), it felt totally impossible, because I had no new weapons or items at my disposal.

When, I played Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time, I thought that all of the menu systems were extremely convenient compared to those of Peace Walker. It was really easy to modify all the gameplay options in Metal Gear Solid 4, and is part of the reason why it received a lot of perfect 10 scores.
#2toadiemanPosted 2/26/2014 7:11:02 PM
The game is easy. Just capture guys and put in the base to make equipment.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA
#3RyuVegasPosted 2/26/2014 7:14:25 PM
Dwarf Fortress *shudders*
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP- PWAA:DD, Bioshock Infinite
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#4Mad_CauliflowerPosted 2/26/2014 7:14:33 PM
I had fun with DCS: A10C, and if you knew what was involved to simply get that plane going, let alone take off.....

yeah i'm good with complicated
---
"Didn't open the box." And what was it last time, "Didn't know what the box was?" And yet, we do keep finding each other, don't we?"
#5Hvarerann24Posted 2/26/2014 7:17:56 PM
Vagrant Story it's a RPG right and the worst one i played ever but the combat and weapon system is confusing and horrible that it is no fun to fight some of those cool enemies in the game it was also my first RPG i finished on my Vita.
#6AlcogodPosted 2/26/2014 7:28:07 PM
Kingdoms of amalur which im currently playing has a pretty complicated level up system in which you MUST choose a skill to level up AND specific class skills. This means you end up wasting the class skills just so you can have an extra level in blacksmithing for example.

Its still fun but i hate it when i level up.
---
We dont need reality
English...not european.
#7nanofazz97(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 7:40:53 PM
Alcogod posted...
Kingdoms of amalur which im currently playing has a pretty complicated level up system in which you MUST choose a skill to level up AND specific class skills. This means you end up wasting the class skills just so you can have an extra level in blacksmithing for example.

Its still fun but i hate it when i level up.

Wait a minute. So, you are saying that you have to give up your character class skills for skills that are specific for the leveling system? So, does that mean you can only carry a certain amount of skills at the same time?

The reason why I ask this is because I am interested in buying this game in the near future, but feel like I do not know enough about the RPG elements.
#8Muv-LuvPosted 2/26/2014 8:43:58 PM
Hvarerann24 posted...
Vagrant Story

---
Get hyped for The Raid 2!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6yUHHfZ04
#9hyperskate65Posted 2/26/2014 9:03:25 PM
Way of the Samurai 4.

Granted, it was my first game of the series, and I was going through a stressful period.

I just know I played it for probably 4 maybe 6 hours in a week and got seemingly nowhere and then deleted it for MGS3 HD.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#10rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/26/2014 9:03:29 PM
Resonance of Fate in particular had a combat system that was just needlessly complicated and poorly explained.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)