This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Confessions of a Final Fantasy Addict" saddest read of my life :(

#21RyuVegasPosted 3/1/2014 8:41:44 PM
Galeforce99 posted...
I’ll just leave these words from C.S. Lewis:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Love this quote so much. It's, in general, how I live my life.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP- PWAA:DD, Bioshock Infinite
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#22Solar20xxPosted 3/1/2014 8:59:14 PM
JenniferTate posted...
Can't stand to be around people who are embarrassed of what they like or who they are.

Well, regarding how people are judged these days, I'm not really surprised at people feeling embarrassed. I can definitely understand that, even though I'm not really afraid of playing my games in public (though I don't do it since many things get stolen in my area).
---
Crap, I edit a lot.
Almost NEVER take me seriously in almost anything. I'll let you know whenever I am at times.
#23TriangleHardPosted 3/1/2014 10:30:50 PM
As an older adult myself, I could understand few things.

Embarrassed to admit playing JRPG. Well I wouldn't say embarrassment is the right word. Isolated is probably the more fitting word. If there's a TV show or movie, then that's something you can casually talk about or mention to others, even if they never watched it. If they saw it, you get a small talk. If they didn't then move on to the next subject. Games on the other hand is much more difficult to bring up.

As for personal life, it IS difficult to juggle it with games. Now living alone, I could make some time to play games, but that often comes at the cost of dishes that needs to be done, or bed that's not fixed, etc. Those little things might seem like it won't take much time, but it adds up, and it's not easy to find that time.

Also I don't think my excitement for JRPGs are dead, but I haven't been absorbed into one for years. I don't think it's my loss of interest, but due to crappy quality of JRPGs and it's stories. No longer I see any depth to stories in JRPGs. They are shallow as hell with cheesy dialogues and predictable plot devices. To be quite frank, most JRPGs these days are simply not worth my time. They don't have a world that I'd like to spend my time, nor characters, nor quests.

It is mixture of many things, as life sucks your time and JRPG developers these days are talent-less idiots with no ambitiion. Also gaming industry did poor job making it more acceptable to wide audience. In order to gain respect to general public, you need to have that artistry. An ambition towards something greater. The courage to voice your own opinion and make a point. Unfortuantely, game developers are all about money. They don't have their own vision, and instead they are much busier catering towards to their fans like that ugly dude stuck in a friend zone. Unlike movie industry, gaming industry don't have the built up respect to general public, and they are just making money off of established market. Sadly, even the games that tries to be more than just a game, tends to be shallow a lot of the time, or lacks budget to make proper game to gain enough interest to matter.

Well, I dunno. I guess older you get, the more cynical you get. I think gaming industry hit the peak during PS2 era, and I'm not sure if we will ever get back to that height again.
#24IChangedMyNamePosted 3/1/2014 10:30:58 PM
I have no shame, so what I do and what I like is more or less a badge of honor I wear proudly.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#25blassterPosted 3/2/2014 1:34:05 AM
Quite an interesting subject.

Technically, adults should have more time playing game than ever, especially if you live alone, since that means no more parent telling to go to sleep for tomorrow class. As long as you can control yourself to be awake, no one really stopping you to play from night until morning.

As for social life, find other friends with same interest outside of working environment? It's not like work requires you to maintain a good relationship with your co-worker.

If you don't care enough, just maintain a professional relationship where you can get a job done, but don't have to talk to them after work if you don't want.

I do happen to have a co-worker who bring 3DS to work, so I guess I'm just lucky to have a person who I could talk to about games even at work. Like today, we discussed about how good Samurai Warriors 4 looks from the trailers and we keep going on about how the new Basara is a total trash compared to SW4.
---
Anticipating: DeSu2 BR, BBCP, MGS5, New Rorona, Eschalogy.
Playing: Warriors Orochi 3
#26gamefaqwatcherPosted 3/2/2014 3:08:48 AM
Then you should feel happy. Some people have 'saddest reads' where the read is directed at them!
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#27lild1425Posted 3/2/2014 3:17:34 AM
TriangleHard posted...
As an older adult myself, I could understand few things.

Embarrassed to admit playing JRPG. Well I wouldn't say embarrassment is the right word. Isolated is probably the more fitting word. If there's a TV show or movie, then that's something you can casually talk about or mention to others, even if they never watched it. If they saw it, you get a small talk. If they didn't then move on to the next subject. Games on the other hand is much more difficult to bring up.

As for personal life, it IS difficult to juggle it with games. Now living alone, I could make some time to play games, but that often comes at the cost of dishes that needs to be done, or bed that's not fixed, etc. Those little things might seem like it won't take much time, but it adds up, and it's not easy to find that time.

Also I don't think my excitement for JRPGs are dead, but I haven't been absorbed into one for years. I don't think it's my loss of interest, but due to crappy quality of JRPGs and it's stories. No longer I see any depth to stories in JRPGs. They are shallow as hell with cheesy dialogues and predictable plot devices. To be quite frank, most JRPGs these days are simply not worth my time. They don't have a world that I'd like to spend my time, nor characters, nor quests.

It is mixture of many things, as life sucks your time and JRPG developers these days are talent-less idiots with no ambitiion. Also gaming industry did poor job making it more acceptable to wide audience. In order to gain respect to general public, you need to have that artistry. An ambition towards something greater. The courage to voice your own opinion and make a point. Unfortuantely, game developers are all about money. They don't have their own vision, and instead they are much busier catering towards to their fans like that ugly dude stuck in a friend zone. Unlike movie industry, gaming industry don't have the built up respect to general public, and they are just making money off of established market. Sadly, even the games that tries to be more than just a game, tends to be shallow a lot of the time, or lacks budget to make proper game to gain enough interest to matter.

Well, I dunno. I guess older you get, the more cynical you get. I think gaming industry hit the peak during PS2 era, and I'm not sure if we will ever get back to that height again.

I agree with what you said especially the bold. I am now an adult and I use to love JRPGs as well. I've been noticing a common strain in that I don't think it is us that is really the problem. I think the quality of JRPGs have significantly gone down in quality. I can't enjoy them anymore because so many of them aren't all-around well made. Many have significant flaws with originality being one. Ni No Kuni looked like a promising revival until the terrible combat showed its true colors and the characters and story were bland as hell.
#28jay2101Posted 3/2/2014 4:43:20 AM
I'm an adult and I'm just glad they came out with the first three final fantasy games on PSP. Otherwise I don't really care.
#29ExperimPosted 3/2/2014 4:51:20 AM
Loser thread (except for me)!