This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a fair trade in value for a new game?

#1Xplode-Posted 3/10/2014 9:40:02 PM
So, another thread got me to thinking about this. In the past, Gamestop would purchase a used game for less than half of the new price if traded back in within the first few months.. Only to sell it that same day for 4 dollars cheaper than the new price. This is terrible in my opinion. How much do YOU feel is a fair price for a used game when trading it in?

Oh, and yes. I know I have the choice to not trade it in to gamestop. This is just a fun debate to really see if I am alone in thinking that a used game is worth more upon trade in. Maybe Gamestop could lower the price of used games then to compensate it? (Games that are still considered recent releases still are what I am referring to.) I would be very interested to hear what former employees think as well on this matter.

Oh, and let's keep this civil? Thanks.
---
Oakland Raiders: Raider Nation!
#2Chuck4lifePosted 3/10/2014 9:42:50 PM
This is just another reason why GameStop is a shoddy company. Their entire trade in policy sucks. "Power to the players"? I don't think so. To answer your question... Used games receive around 25 bux in the first few months. They should be sold for 35 to be fair in my opinion.
---
It's that 49er strength that sets its fans apart from the rest!
#3MelenatorPosted 3/10/2014 9:53:04 PM
The answer is stop using Gamestop. Go to the internet and sell.
#4tuna-eggPosted 3/10/2014 11:42:05 PM
Sorry for piggybacking on TC's thread, but it puzzles me WHO buys used game for only $5 less than MSRP of a new copy? I know that if I were presented the choice, I would always go for the new copy (I perceive it to have more 'value'). Buying a used game for such a tiny discount seems like counter-intuitive to me.

Frankly, it boggles my mind but there must be people who buy at these rip-off prices, otherwise the used game stores won't be continuing the practice.
#5darkness1018Posted 3/11/2014 12:29:32 AM
If a game is fairly new & there are trade in deals/promos going on + the PUR discount some new PS4/XB1 games can get as much as $40 credit. Not too bad for not having to go through the trouble of selling &/or shipping. For example yesterday i got $37.80 for Thief (PS4) & $21 for Killzone Mercenary (Vita,only paid $20 for it anyway online). Was able to get South Park (PS3) without spending any out of pocket $. With the $ i wouldve spent buying SP i was able to preorder Amazing Spiderman 2 (PS4) instead.

Last week my friend traded his copy of Thief (PS4), KZ: SF (PS4) & 2 or 3 PS3 games. He was able to fully pay off MGSV: GZ (PS4) & inFamous SS (PS4). Thats why i trade my games at GS. Also, i rarely trade anyway, only when its a game i know im never going back to ever.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3, PS4 & PS Vita) 3DS XL FC 0490-6058-6459 NNID: Nightwing2918
Systems I own: PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL
#6flame030191Posted 3/11/2014 1:23:07 AM
I traded Thief (PS4 copy) in last night and put it towards my X1 Titanfall pre-order and they gave me $42 and some change to put on there.

Some people can claim GStop is a ripoff, but a $42 return on a game I paid $60 and got my enjoyment from isn't bad, I essentially paid $18 to play the game as much as I was going to.
---
PSN ID: armyflame X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame
X1/PS4/PS3/360 gamer. Proud to be a God of War fan. http://imgur.com/APaWnBD
#7darkness1018Posted 3/11/2014 3:58:14 AM
@flame040191

That was also a great trade in deal for Thief, a few bucks more then I got but still worth. If you look out for bonus trade deals & promos GS is not a bad place to trade at all.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3, PS4 & PS Vita) 3DS XL FC 0490-6058-6459 NNID: Nightwing2918
Systems I own: PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL
#8Legend053180Posted 3/11/2014 4:38:38 AM
Used new games for 54.99? Not usually unless I have PUR current (extra 10%) and they happen to run a B2G1 special.

But their prices for older stuff can't be beat. I found Red Faction Guerilla for $5. I'm always seeing Fallout 3 for about $3. Crysis 2, Dead Space 2 - $9.

And I know a lot of folks have blithering idiots at their local Gamestop but I don't. My GS employees are really good to chit chat about their favorite games. They're still required to ask me all those annoying questions though.