This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I have never played a Tales game

#11RJP_XPosted 3/18/2014 9:26:24 AM
Just Symphonia, if were going for PS3 exclusives. If not, get Abyss as well if possible. Graces and Xillia were a chore to go through, and not the best opening for someone new to Tales games.
---
"That's pimpish, pass the Mack 10 to my apprentice
While I get a pen and pad to print this" -Roc Marciano
#12kaiser ryuPosted 3/18/2014 9:27:53 AM
Without knowing your tastes beyond "getting a PS3 soon" I can't say this with much confidence. All the same I'd say Xillia and Symphonia are fantastic starting points. Symphonia has a deceptively cliched beginning but I'd say overall has the better story and characters in the long run. Xillia is a great all-rounder with, I'd say, better gameplay than Symphonia.

The real answer is get Abyss because its my favorite and then get all sad that Vesperia for the PS3 was never brought to NA.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06 : 3DS FC 0189-8575-3761
#13OmegaBladesPosted 3/18/2014 9:29:23 AM
psfanatix18 posted...
I have never played it as well. Whats so good about it? It's just another RPG isnt it?

It allows multiplayer for battles. Which made college a blast. The battle system is very nice with the only thing I can think that was similar was the star ocean series of games.
---
Steam, PSN, XBL & Nintendo ID: OmegaBlades
3DS: 1032-1408-2462
#14TerotrousPosted 3/18/2014 10:21:30 AM(edited)
Not Graces F. It is the best Tales game on PS3, but it is also the most complicated. If you are not already familiar with the Tales battle system, the added complexity in this game will overwhelm you.

I would recommend starting with Xillia. It has some issues but is still a decent introduction to the basic gameplay of the series.

Symphonia is also possible but it is heavily dated, both in graphics and in its battle system. I would only get this game if you also want to play Abyss and Innocence R, which use a similar (but significantly better) battle system.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#15kingdrake2Posted 3/18/2014 10:55:00 AM
beware with xillia, you will spend a ton of time going for the platinum :(.
---
PSN trophy amount atm: 381 bronze, 129 silver, 62 gold, 11 platinum
currently playing: devil may cry (on hiatus). tales of xillia, payday 2
#16SuigintouEVPosted 3/18/2014 4:21:50 PM(edited)
Protofreak posted...
I am getting a ps3 very soon and I have never played any of the Tales games. I would like to give it a shot though. What should I pick up as an introduction to the series?

Symphonia HD, and don't worry about people who talk about battle systems. The core of the Tales series is that they are JRPGs, not that they are action games. Symphonia is the best JRPG of the bunch in English. Vesperia is second best but the PS3 version isn't english, which puts Xillia at 2nd.

Graces F has a cool, unique battle system but is also the second worst game in the series and game's history.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#17KojaxFXPosted 3/22/2014 8:11:09 AM
I never have played any tales games except for Xilla. Xilla was very enjoyable.
---
Currently playing: GTA V like every other gamer lol
#18IzecPosted 3/22/2014 11:12:43 AM
Xillia is the best of the four for beginners.

Graces F has the most complex battle system, Symphonia has a ton of missable content and irritating puzzles at times, and DotNW isn't worth playing to begin with unless you're addicted to Tales. Xillia's a much simpler game to just play along through and it's plot is the second best out of the four (after Symphonia).
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#19Pop_SecretPosted 3/22/2014 11:17:39 AM
Xillia is one of the very worst Tales games, with only Dawn of the New World being worse than it. You are far better off playing almost anything else. Go with Symphonia, Abyss or Graces F.