This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the three most important games in history?

#1DevilTears604Posted 4/4/2014 6:08:16 PM
By "important," I mean taking history into account and how the game industry itself changed and shifted because of it. Not necessarily your favorite games, but the ones that had the most impact on the game industry.

I'd say:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.
#2Thor61Posted 4/4/2014 6:13:29 PM
Wolfenstein 3D
Street Fighter 2
Quake
#3shawnmckPosted 4/4/2014 6:23:53 PM
Resident Evil
While it didn't start the survival-horror industry, it definitely defined it and made it mainstream.

GTA3
Re-defined open-world sandbox type games and made them popular.

Wolfenstein
The grandaddy of all first-person shooters.
All FPS games owe their existence to this game.

And I would also add ...
Thief, because it started the stealth craze.
And Mario Bros (NES). because it helped usher in video-games as a respectable hobby. We have consoles because of it.

BTW
Don't remember the very first famous RPG game, other than it was a PC game. Without it, we wouldn't have the diverse library of RPG's.
Basically go back too when a genre was created and find the specific game that either started it or established it, and it would be one of the most important games in history. Each genre has one.
So its kinda unfair to limit it to just 3.
#4doboksoonPosted 4/4/2014 6:28:11 PM
Demons Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2

gaming wouldn't be where it is today without those 3 industry-defining games.
---
psn: doboksoon
FFXIII is the best interactive movie/jrpg hybrid this gen.
#5nouseravailablePosted 4/4/2014 6:35:28 PM(edited)
Tetris
Myst
Zork

there others like final fantasy II, alone in the dark and mario 64 but ill stick with those.

---
NP: Im not sure...
3DS: 0619-3048-6154 (add me for friend safari)
#6HabefietPosted 4/4/2014 6:35:11 PM
Pong--Birth
ET--Death
Super Mario Bros--Resurrection

The ****ing end

Answers for things that spawned single genres or whatever are wrong if we're going for top three most important games of all time

Modern Warfare wouldn't even be the game you'd want to use to make the case for FPS's or whatever, if you wanted the game that popularized online gaming on consoles as a concept it'd be Halo wouldn't it

Although really you'd want to say Doom

Anyway

ET wasn't directly and singularly responsible for the crash of course so you could probably axe that at which point there is no clear third, there's just the top two being Pong and SMB and nothing else really matters compared to those two besides maybe some of the pre-Pong stuff
#7nouseravailablePosted 4/4/2014 6:38:45 PM(edited)
Habefiet posted...
Modern Warfare wouldn't even be the game you'd want to use to make the case for FPS's or whatever, if you wanted the game that popularized online gaming on consoles as a concept it'd be Halo wouldn't it

I think itd be Half-Life (tfc) or Quake II. It was actualy a bunch of games that came out arround that time (including Halo to a certain extent... but later). I agree that isnt Mw...
---
NP: Im not sure...
3DS: 0619-3048-6154 (add me for friend safari)
#8merqabahPosted 4/4/2014 6:40:33 PM
shawnmck posted...

And I would also add ...
Thief, because it started the stealth craze.

that wasnt thief, that was metal gear/solid, it even came out a whole month before thief in the US.
---
PSA: Their/there/they're are not the same, nor then/than and should of does not exist it's should have
#9LamacePosted 4/4/2014 6:42:54 PM
1. Pong
2. Super Mario Bros
3. Akalabeth: World of Doom
#10georgethecow4Posted 4/4/2014 6:46:52 PM
1. Pong
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Super Mario 64
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew