This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tales fans: Xillia or Symphonia first?

#1markd23Posted 4/7/2014 6:33:12 PM
Which of the two is better to play first? - Results (76 votes)
Tales of Symphonia
57.89% (44 votes)
Tales of Xillia
19.74% (15 votes)
Doesn't matter
22.37% (17 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I intend to play both games but I'm curious if it's recommended to play one before the other at all. I know they aren't related story-wise or anything but sometimes it's better to play one game in a series before another for a variety of reasons.

The only Tales game I've played is Graces f, which I found to be enjoyable but the ending sequence utterly killed it for me (post final boss scenes). Tales of Symphonia I always had my eye on and was a game I regretted not having a Gamecube as it seemed to be (and still is) rather highly regarded in the RPG crowd. Xillia seems to be better received than Graces f so I decided to buy it when it was on sale.

TL;DR -- Any recommendations as to which to play first?
---
Currently Playing: | GTA V | God of War 3 (Titan mode) | Diablo 3 |
PSN: Down_Time
#2SuigintouEVPosted 4/7/2014 8:21:57 PM(edited)
I like Xillia, but I've been working on it for like a year now without much real driving force to finish it. It's still a better game IMO than Graces.

I've beat Symphonia three times in the past, and I might finish it a fourth on PS3 before I beat Xillia. It's seriously one of my favorite games of all time.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#3ArsenicSteelPosted 4/7/2014 8:24:23 PM
Just make it easy. Start with with the oldest date possible and play it.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#4raigePosted 4/7/2014 8:30:32 PM
I say go with Symphonia first because it's older. Xillia's combat system and presentation will seem so much better and it may be pretty hard going back to Symphonia.
#5DarkFistsPosted 4/7/2014 9:53:16 PM
While I wouldn't say it'd make it hard to go back to Symphonia, it is true that the gameplay is...pretty aged. Not as aged as some games, but compared to Xillia, it's pretty much a completely different beast, so I'd go with Symphonia first.
#6MwarriorHieiPosted 4/7/2014 10:06:57 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...
Just make it easy. Start with with the oldest date possible and play it.

this. you will not enjoy the outdated systems of older titles after playing more up-to-date ones.
---
http://i.imgur.com/oBPaBAa.png
#7markd23(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2014 6:27:12 AM
Is ToS 2 worth it for the collection? I've seem a few times on here that it's not worth the extra $20 so I think I may just buy the digital ToS alone.
---
Currently Playing: | GTA V | God of War 3 (Titan mode) | Diablo 3 |
PSN: Down_Time
#8HabefietPosted 4/8/2014 6:30:05 AM
Play Symphonia first

Do not buy DotNW

If you thought Graces was fun but couldn't handle the overwhelming cheese of the story then I think you will enjoy both other games significantly more, they've got some cheese too but it's more the fun kind of cheese rather than the "kill me now" kind
#9nonexistingheroPosted 4/8/2014 7:25:54 AM
Play Tales of Symphonia... I don't recommend playing Xillia. And stay far away from Dawn of the New World. If there's another Tales game you really want to play, I recommend playing Vesperia on the 360 or the earlier games such as Phantasia, Eternia and Destiny.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10SuigintouEVPosted 4/8/2014 7:30:20 AM
markd23 posted...
Is ToS 2 worth it for the collection? I've seem a few times on here that it's not worth the extra $20 so I think I may just buy the digital ToS alone.

It'e an average title worth about fifteen bucks if i had to put a price on it. Tales of Symphonia is worth around 60 though, so you're getting ~75 dollars worth for for 40. Just get the physical copy IMO... 'ToS is one of those titles that deserves a shelf spot.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II