This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a jrpg.

#1PinkestFloyd07Posted 4/12/2014 10:33:40 PM
I have been recently trying to get into the jrpg genre, i never really had patience for those types of games, but now im ready, but still stubborn about what i want, im looking for freedom/open world, side quests, rewarding combat, good characters, unique weapons/magic, and interesting art/atmosphere.

Ive always seen the Tales series around, are they anything like what i want?

Recent ones ive played are Nino Kuni(loved it) FF13(hated it) FF13-2(it was ok) Pokemon (Gold/Silver were my favorite)

I dont know if i would count games like Dragons Dogma, Monster Hunter and Souls series in this genre but if so ive already played those all.

I just really want to get into a good long deep rpg with a good sense of freedom/exploration and adventure, i also love being able to catch monsters and use them in battle(Pokemon, XIII-2, and Nino Kuni)
#2PinkestFloyd07(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 10:46:03 PM
forgot to mention im already playing through FF X hd and FF X-2 hd.
#3Jx1010Posted 4/12/2014 10:58:45 PM
Open world?
Instead of asking for the same thing u been playing in WRPGs... Why not take ur time
to try something different that is not open world.

Best JRPGs on PS3 are:
Valkyria Chronicles
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4

If u dont like any of those, the thats it.
#4thisranksPosted 4/12/2014 11:06:21 PM
I think i now know why some people say the regionally challenged are trying too hard at times.

Before the regionally challenged came along i would have said the entitled and those individuals with ridiculous expectations were the lowest of the low. Funny how their convenient ignorance of certain games and the re-defining of others looks sadly pathetic to normal gamers.

Ah, i'll just chalk this topic up as another in along list of *how not to be a gamer* topics.
---
Delusions are as necessary to happiness as realities.
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, Yui Kotogawa, Kaori Kanzaki, and Himari Noihara FTW
#5PinkestFloyd07(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2014 11:07:26 PM
i played Persona 3 and 4, forgot to mention those as well, i really enjoyed 4, 3 was ok but i played it after 4 so i didnt enjoy it as much as i could have if i played it first.
#6DavidWHNPosted 4/12/2014 11:56:21 PM
Definitely give the Tales series a try, personally enjoy that series more than FF. They have an interesting battle system and tend to be full with sidequests you can do. They also have a New Game+ with an interesting Grade shop at the end. You can start with Symphonia if you want. I also recommend you play Abyss at some point to, it's a great game. Tales of Xilla is okay, but I don't think it's the best in the series. I actually prefer Graces F over that one. Anyway, that's my two cents.
---
People are funny.
#7boxingtonPosted 4/13/2014 12:04:50 AM
while it's not a JRPG, the gameplay of South Park: The Stick of Truth is heavily inspired by the Paper Mario games.

anyway, it's really fun, and chock full of content. it's on the short side, but it might help ease you more into the while turn-based thing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/5publC3.gif
#8Alastor-10Posted 4/13/2014 1:14:24 AM
Tales of Graces F while not the strongest of the series is probably the best of its kind on ps3.
Solid combat, open colourful world and a lot of things to collect/find to keep you busy./
I'm with ranks in that xillia isn;t as good. Made by differant team.
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
#9bloodcoastPosted 4/13/2014 1:16:45 AM
Atelier series? That stuff is as non-linear as you can get.
#10OhGoodPosted 4/13/2014 1:39:18 AM
If you have a 3DS ignore all your other choices and get Bravely Default.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant