This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How should i go about playing the mass effect trilogy?

#11theshovellerPosted 4/16/2014 5:13:56 AM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Justice98405 posted...
One character, through each game in order, play them and just enjoy them, they're amazing games. Don't spoil things, don't read FAQs, just play 'em.

And Mass Effect 3 IS a great game, I WAS disappointed in the ending and the last 30 minutes overall of the game, but EVERYTHING leading up to that last 30 minutes was awesome. So it's still a fantastic game overall.

Pretty much this. Anyone who says that the entirety of ME3 is bad is just being completely foolish. It's a great game, but the ending really is that bad, and I know for me it put me off Mass Effect for a long while; I didn't think I'd ever want to replay the games and it made me sad to think about. But I did eventually go back and play through the trilogy again, and the ending was easier to take the second time around, though that also probably had to do with the Extended Ending, which wasn't out the first time I played it.

Also don't skimp on the DLC.

I feel mostly the same. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it, either. It was lacking and felt rushed. I didn't beat the game a second time until after the extended cut and Leviathan DLCs were out, at which point I liked the ending - it gave me what I wanted, which was basically an epilogue. A recap of where everyone is because of my actions.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#12razid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2014 7:24:17 AM
Thanks guys, are there any must have dlc that the trilogy box set doesn't have? Other than the extended ending for 3, I know about that one

I'm talking about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6EDSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397658250&sr=8-1&keywords=mass+effect
---
Take care of yourself
#13este914Posted 4/16/2014 7:33:24 AM
Im thinking of doing the same. But can I go thru a run where I'm in battle most of the time? Or is this game not really a TPS like that? Is there a specific class I would need to choose? Advice?
---
~-> este914 <-~
Mind Over Matter.
#14Justice98405Posted 4/16/2014 7:40:52 AM
"But can I go thru a run where I'm in battle most of the time? Or is this game not really a TPS like that? Is there a specific class I would need to choose? Advice?"

You can skip through most dialogue, but then you are missing out on some of the best parts of the Mass Effect series, the lore, characters, dialogue and story. These games ARE RPG's, with TPS elements in them, don't let anyone else convince you otherwise.

You can play a pure Soldier class, all about weapons. There's also the tech class, and the adept (Mass Effect's version of magic) and then there's a class for each two-class 'combo', so there's a part Soldier, part Tech, so on and so on.

So yea, you could do a Soldier and skip through conversations, but again, you'd be missing the best parts of the game. If you want a TPS, fine, get one, but these games are RPG's first.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#15ZignoffPosted 4/16/2014 7:42:40 AM
Your choices mean don't mean dick anyway, and have no real bearing, you'll get the same 3 choices, that hardly change anything in the end anyway, which is pretty much the problem with everything the game stood for....

I'd say just play the first one and only it, but then you don't get the much better ME2 crew, seriously if I could replace one thing in ME1, it would be the crew (Except for Wrex, I like grunt, but he doesn't hold a candle to wrex) and being able romance Tali, cause everything else is superior in the first one.

I'd never played the others if so.
---
Here comes a New Web Comic for gamers, BY a gamer, Critique is welcomed as long as you are positive about it.
http://hatetheplayer.thewebcomic.com/
#16Hucast9Posted 4/16/2014 7:54:00 AM
Play them in order. Start the first one as a Soldier. Once you get the assault rifle trophy / achievement, quit the game, start over, and pick Adept class. Adept gives you much more abilities to use than the boring Soldier class. Once you get that trophy you can use an assault rifle on Adept with is the best choice as a bonus. I haven't found much of a reason to use any other class in ME 1.

ME 2 and 3 class differences can be light a night and day difference. Sentinel is a good choice. Sentinel is a tank/like class with extra shields. Vanguard is an up close class that needs a shotgun while using the Charge ability. Ofcourse, there's the Adept again which is a Biotic class. You'll want to chain Singularity with Warp or Throw a lot on Adept. You might want to play on Insanity difficulty starting with ME 2. It's much too easy on anything less than Insanity.

Buy Bringing down the Sky dlc for ME1 and all the campaign dlcs for ME 2 and 3.
#17UhMericanPosted 4/16/2014 10:29:35 AM
razid posted...
Thanks guys, are there any must have dlc that the trilogy box set doesn't have? Other than the extended ending for 3, I know about that one

I'm talking about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6EDSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397658250&sr=8-1&keywords=mass+effect

Honestly if you're enjoying the series I'd say all the DLC for ME3 is worthwhile (minus the skins or weapon packs), but Citadel is a must own.
#18BlueJester007Posted 4/16/2014 10:38:47 AM
Chr0noid posted...
I want you take your copy of Mass Effect 3, throw it into a garbage can, pile a bunch of clothes on top of it, douse the whole thing with kerosene, light a match, toss it in there and let the flames run wild. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Just pretend this game does not exist. Mass Effect ended after 2. Run TC. Run, and never look back.

This, but throw in Mass Effect 2 as well unless you really want to experience the first game with an updated combat engine.
---
Searching for meaning is like searching for a rhyme-scheme in a cook book.
-Tim Minchin
#19theshovellerPosted 4/16/2014 11:56:34 AM
UhMerican posted...
razid posted...

I'm talking about this:

Honestly if you're enjoying the series I'd say all the DLC for ME3 is worthwhile (minus the skins or weapon packs), but Citadel is a must own.

Eh, I honestly thought Citadel and Omega weren't "needed" but they're nice to have. They're sorta like side things for ME3, but don't drastically change much beyond an EMS score and making you, the player, explore some characters more.

ME2, I'd say get Shadow Broker and Arrival DLCs, think they weren't included with the PS3 release. The events in those directly tie to main events in ME3.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#20akuma634Posted 4/16/2014 12:08:30 PM
For the first time, just make a character, and get him/her through each game. After that try different things like classes, gender, and choices. There aren't a ton of choices to make, it's typically you do what's morally right or do something for the greater good. No matter what, you're always the good guy, it's just would you rather play like Jean-Luc Picard or Dirty Harry.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\