This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm about to play Demon's Souls for 1st time (my 1st Souls game)

#1Sinizta03Posted 5/5/2014 6:16:40 AM
Any tips for a total noob? Is the difficulty fair or is it cheap AI?
---
PSN : TMB903
#2PopSmorePosted 5/5/2014 6:24:27 AM
the game isnt very interesting and the difficulty pushes you away to the point that you really dont care even more so towards the games world or how the game will end. basically, it just makes you not care to play it at all unless you like being punished
#3Enix BelmontPosted 5/5/2014 6:25:09 AM
The difficulty is mostly fair.

My tips is start as a temple knight, get magic early, take your time, and I would recommend doing the worlds in some sort of order at first - 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#4Enix BelmontPosted 5/5/2014 6:28:10 AM
PopSmore posted...
the game isnt very interesting and the difficulty pushes you away to the point that you really dont care even more so towards the games world or how the game will end. basically, it just makes you not care to play it at all unless you like being punished

It's nowhere near as hard as this person makes it out to be.

The difficulty is entirely knowledge based. This game is not ninja gaiden, with its ridiculous reflexes you need at some points. It's about planning and understand how to beat enemies and such. Sometimes, that takes dying to learn a pattern, but if you take your time it's not as hard as people say at all. If you use a guide or research the crap out of the game, you'll have a MUCH MUCH easier time with it.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#5Dark_SpiretPosted 5/5/2014 6:43:01 AM
the difficulty for the series isnt even that bad, its the punishment for failing thats high. potentially losing all of your progress in currency/means to level up, having to refight all the enemies you fought before and having to now do so with half hp. The combat is fair, it just has some really high stakes.

anyways Demons souls can be considered the most polished and best of the series so enjoy.

in terms of tips id look up a guide on what stat symbols mean for leveling(the icon for strength, vitality ect.) since they dont flat out tell you any of that stuff. Dont hit any npc's in this game since most sell you stuff and if you anger them your **** out of luck for the rest of your playthrough. look up a means to what world tendency is as well since it can get pretty confusing. outside of those its generally best to go into this series with as little knowledge as possible and discover things out for your self.
---
Currently playing: Don't Starve - Just Cause 2 - Dark Souls 2
#6Bleu_SkiePosted 5/5/2014 6:46:57 AM
Enix Belmont posted...
PopSmore posted...

It's nowhere near as hard as this person makes it out to be.

The difficulty is entirely knowledge based. This game is not ninja gaiden, with its ridiculous reflexes you need at some points. It's about planning and understand how to beat enemies and such. Sometimes, that takes dying to learn a pattern, but if you take your time it's not as hard as people say at all. If you use a guide or research the crap out of the game, you'll have a MUCH MUCH easier time with it.

Guide? Research? Fshaw. Play it blind. Don't take the easy way out. Not many games out there have such a brutal learning curve. Once you get it though, it's magic.
---
I saw an anime once. Amazeballs was said...true story.
#7toadiemanPosted 5/5/2014 6:49:15 AM
FIght guys one at a time. Watch your stamina. Press R3 to lock on.
---
PSN:toadieman
#8este914Posted 5/5/2014 6:50:32 AM
PopSmore posted...

That was my impression too. Granted, I don't have infinite amount of hours to dump into playing games anymore and the learning curve / trial-and-error gameplay is not something I particularly care for (anymore, maybe in the past I would have put up with it.) Not hating on the game but as of right now, its just not for me. But if you're into that then hey, its all good.
---
~-> este914 <-~
Mind Over Matter.
#9Robert_Griffin3Posted 5/5/2014 6:54:45 AM
I'm a noob to the series and just started playing this last week. I think I'm a Wanderer. I read a little on basics but generally avoided any tips or strategy. And I'm getting my ass kicked. Took me about 25 tries to beat one guy I assumed was a mini-boss to the first world, then opened a door and got wiped out instantly by (what I'm assuming is) the real mini-boss. Apparently you're supposed to be able to beat every boss from the very beginning, so you don't need to level up or get better equipment to beat these guys.

But now I have to re-fight the first guy that gave me so much trouble just to get back. I think you just have to get good at the game mechanics and understand it. It takes some work. As for backtracking, I can breeze through all the enemies on the way to the "first" mini-boss. And you open up shortcuts that help shorten the time to get back to that spot.

The deaths don't feel cheap at all, really, except for the "real" boss who I only "fought" once. The fight consisted of me thinking "Is this guy a friendly? Hey, he's walking towards me. I'll talk to him!" And bam I got insta-killed. I still have no clue what my strategy will be for him. But the other guy I was able to get the strategy and now, when he kills me, I know exactly what I did wrong.

Good game so far, definitely tough, especially for a guy that hasn't gamed in years.
#10thekingoftownPosted 5/5/2014 7:10:08 AM
if they are walking toward you they usually aren't friendly. Friendly people usually stay in one spot.
---
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Ever Faithful Terrible Lizard