This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get the appeal of Dragon's Dogma

#31blax34dmPosted 5/19/2014 3:59:32 AM
I thought DD was ok in that it had a fantastic gameplay system but then no substance to back it up. If they had put more into the characters and writing it woulda been something special but as is I don't really get the love either.
#32SnowxNeverLeftPosted 5/19/2014 4:19:27 AM
It's an improved Dark Souls, that's the appeal.
#33gfrequencyPosted 5/19/2014 4:55:15 AM
I never understand these "I don't like X, tell me why you like X" threads. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Both are valid stances to take, because people are, believe it or not, individuals with different preferences.

Dragon's Dogma I'll make a small exception for, though, because it's one of those things I didn't like either, at first. It's not a perfect game. The graphics are bad, the voice acting is REALLY bad, the core mechanics are flawed. After you play it for a few hours, though, you come to like even the imperfections. I came to like it because it has several interesting mechanics that I'd like to see refined in future games. I like the mini-colossus climbs, the NPC companion mechanics, and the pawn-trading aspect. Combat is fun when you get the hang of it -- not as deliberate or unforgiving as Dark Souls, but not a cakewalk either.

Anyway, cant blame you if you don't like it, but for me, it was one of those games I had to give another chance before it grew on me.
---
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
#34Sanger_ZPosted 5/19/2014 4:58:15 AM
Combat and boss fights are really really good, it nailed the most important thing.
---
Play Guilty Gear, it's a good game.
"Even Edinorog thirsts for blood!" Zenia Valov
#35nickizgr8Posted 5/19/2014 4:58:16 AM
Well the combat has Shadow of the Colossus climbing mechanics which is pretty cool. Rather than fighting a big monster by stabbing it's feet for a century you can climb on it and attack it's weak spots.

I guess a big appeal is it's quite difficult at the start before you're established. As every enemies, I believe is a set level. So if you're level one and randomly exploring, if you find a fire drake it's going to be level forty and own you're face. The bad thing about that is that once you hit a level forty most enemies, because they don't level with you become pretty faceroll. I've been told that the DLC fixes this as DLC is designed for all levels of characters.

The characters are quite bland, I agree and the romance mechanic was poorly done. However I actually kinda grew attached to the pawns I had with me and the one I created. Each being unique and having a different playstyle that you couldn't control made the game very refreshing. A lot better than the normal RPG of where "this is the best pawn build and this is how you get it". I had some quite epic moments with pawns I had for ages that I doubt could be recreated with NPC's or even playable characters. Thought I would prefer to roam a massive world with 3 friends, pawns are still a good alternative.

I agree with the music kinda. I wont say it's bad as I can't specificity remember any track I really liked, or really hated. The only track I really liked was the main menu music which when it went to the rock part made me cringe so much. So that I really like but really hate that one song. When I did play I usually tried to time it just right so I'd get none of the rock part before I got into the game.
---
Brothers and Sisters are sworn enemies Like PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers, or PC Gamers and Sony Gamers, Or PC Gamers and PC Gamers, Damn PC Gamers ruined PC gaming
#36CharadeSmithPosted 5/19/2014 5:31:48 AM
Neither do I. Incredibly boring
---
Master! We are in a tight spot!
#37hak145(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 5:51:07 AM
gfrequency posted...
I never understand these "I don't like X, tell me why you like X" threads. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Both are valid stances to take, because people are, believe it or not, individuals with different preferences.

Dragon's Dogma I'll make a small exception for, though, because it's one of those things I didn't like either, at first. It's not a perfect game. The graphics are bad, the voice acting is REALLY bad, the core mechanics are flawed. After you play it for a few hours, though, you come to like even the imperfections. I came to like it because it has several interesting mechanics that I'd like to see refined in future games. I like the mini-colossus climbs, the NPC companion mechanics, and the pawn-trading aspect. Combat is fun when you get the hang of it -- not as deliberate or unforgiving as Dark Souls, but not a cakewalk either.

Anyway, cant blame you if you don't like it, but for me, it was one of those games I had to give another chance before it grew on me.

The one thing I give it credit for was trying something new with the pawn system. Then again it felt out of place.
---
Gamertag XL: CRAZYjump, PSN: CRAZIERjump
Winner: Dark Souls.....2, Honorable Mentions: Fallout 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Bioshock
#38Shy420Posted 5/19/2014 5:56:46 AM
I don't know, I like the combat, I enjoy the exploration, the story is kinda meh but most are, I love the idea of grabbing on to a creature climbing up it's back and poking them in the eye. It weird but the game is comfortable to me.

Really though to each their own.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#39HorrorSindicatePosted 5/19/2014 6:14:36 AM
tetsuya_shino posted...
What you, a faceless user on the internet, think of a game isn't going to change my own opinion of said game.

... what? Not the reaction you were hoping for? Then maybe put some effort into your writing and make your flame bait a little less obvious.

Actually, playing DD is much entertaining then trying to, but failing miserably at, getting a rise out of total strangers on a video game forum.

So maybe I should ask you a question; what is the appeal of trolling when you are clearly not good at it? Taking it further, do you yourself realize how base you are if you take enjoyment from such activities?

Isn't base in that usage similar to debauched? I'd more go with pedestrian. Such a boring hobby.
---
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
#40JenniferTatePosted 5/19/2014 6:31:55 AM
I got to make my own characters with a very flexible creator. I could climb monsters and stab in the face. There were inventive and interesting special moves for nearly every class. Shields are always fun when done right. I made friends trading pawns here in GFAQs. Exploring the land when it was new was exciting and dangerous. The Dark World was cool and gave me Link to the Past fuzzies.

I freely admit a lot of the game went to crap once leveled and geared because you could run through destroying everything. Once the sense of danger and disorientation was gone, charm was lost.

Still a great game to replay, and I'm waiting on the sequel
---
"That is just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they dont know nothing about it." - Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn