This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Article: Gamers Have 'More Social Lives' than Non-Gamers.

#21Gamer4ever77Posted 6/6/2014 1:25:09 PM
Social lives as in using their mics online.

That's the only way I can see logic.
---
Minnesota Vikings 2014 0-0
#22GunmaN1905Posted 6/6/2014 1:34:54 PM(edited)
Idk, I'll take myself for exmaple.
People that don't know me well would never tell that I'm a gamer and I have like only 2-3 friends that are actually gamers.
Maybe that's why I'm a "hardcore" (although I despise that term) gamer, I just want something to do that has nothing in common with anything else in my life. For example I've dumped over 1k hours in gaming for sure in the past year, which is like 3hours a day, but it never reflects on my social life.
I'd say that I've substituted some other things for gaming and because of that I have a good social life.
I watch like 2 movies a month and less than 1 hour of TV a day in average if you exclude sports. And watching sports games often ends in socializing.
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
#23FredericChopinPosted 6/6/2014 2:37:35 PM
Varron posted...
FredericChopin posted...
Just my two cents here,

I am 37 years old, married, and work full time.
I have always enjoyed solitary activities - running and video games are my favorite two hobbies...
so I guess that makes me an introvert.

I find running and video games far more enjoyable than having a "social life" with other adults.
And proud of it!!

Running and video games are also my top 2 favorite hobbies. :D

I discovered a nice way to combine these two - I have several tunes from video games in my ipod, found this makes long distance running even more enjoyable - nothing like listening to "The Opened Way" from SoTC or some other epic song during the late stages of a run!

I'm going to start a topic thread here, best video game songs to work out/run to.

Varron, do you just run for fun, or do you compete in races?
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!"
- Frederic Chopin, Eternal Sonata
#24_PerfectionistPosted 6/6/2014 3:13:24 PM
I definitely think this study has more to do with CoD gamers. (casual)
And to be honest, a lot of people I know who are casual gamers have a booming social life. And I don't mean your average social life.
---
"Don't regret the past, just learn from it."
#25VarronPosted 6/7/2014 12:56:43 PM
FredericChopin posted...
Varron posted...
FredericChopin posted...
Just my two cents here,

I have always enjoyed solitary activities - running and video games are my favorite two hobbies...

I find running and video games far more enjoyable than having a "social life" with other adults.
And proud of it!!

I discovered a nice way to combine these two - I have several tunes from video games in my ipod, found this makes long distance running even more enjoyable - nothing like listening to "The Opened Way" from SoTC or some other epic song during the late stages of a run!

I'm going to start a topic thread here, best video game songs to work out/run to.

I run for the benefits and I also find it really enjoyable. I do half-marathons every summer too.
---
PSN: Snippuh
#26thedeerzordPosted 6/7/2014 12:58:11 PM
Most non-gamers that I know are usually busy with school so they don't have time for games and all that.
---
Mr. President...in the name of the Legion Empire. I hereby remove your from your position of power. No longer will you be in the way of Freedom and Democacy!
#27FredericChopinPosted 6/7/2014 5:23:01 PM
Varron posted...
FredericChopin posted...
Varron posted...
FredericChopin posted...
Just my two cents here,

And proud of it!!

I run for the benefits and I also find it really enjoyable. I do half-marathons every summer too.

Half marathon, that is the longest difference I have ever run. I think running is a great hobby to complement video games - nothing like going out for a long run and then afterwards settling in for a few hours of gaming while the endorphins are still there.

Getting back to this article, most everyone I know "games" in one form or another - lots of people play games on their smart phones, alot of guys I know have consoles just for COD and Madden, etc. So it would seem the question is, how did the article define gamers exactly.
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!"
- Frederic Chopin, Eternal Sonata
#28MelenatorPosted 6/7/2014 5:32:18 PM
I party and all that cap but once I'm alone or at home I go full nerd.
---
PSN:MynameiswaytoolongtoreadAreyousstilltryingtoreadthis?
#29jay2101Posted 6/7/2014 6:11:20 PM
I'm pretty anti-social, but I've been a gamer for awhile.
#30WarhawkPosted 6/7/2014 9:13:46 PM
raige posted...
IceHusky posted...
raige posted...
I'm quite sure they're using the definition of gamer in the sense that it is just someone who plays games. For example, someone who plays angry birds or a game of solitaire on their cell phone during the ride to work would be considered a gamer.

But are they?

I guess I am an alcoholic because I drink maybe a beer once a year. >_>

You're making the wrong comparison. Being an alcoholic is a specific condition in which a person is addicted to alcohol. It's more like calling someone a killer. If you've killed only once, are you a killer?

There are people out there that would say that he is one even if he only drinks it once a year.
---
FAQ Renegade | FAQs: 22 | Reviews: 80
Untitled | http://www.facebook.com/WarhawkFAQs