This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any good horror games without tank controls?

#11riddlebox89Posted 6/7/2014 4:30:39 PM
SockNight posted...
All the great horror games use tank controls.

This statement is false, there are plenty of great horror games that don't have s*** tank controls.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#12wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2014 4:32:17 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
SockNight posted...
All the great horror games use tank controls.

This statement is false, there are plenty of great horror games that don't have s*** tank controls.

Such as...?
---
Richard Gere is starting a rock band called... Metal Gere..!?
#13hindd92Posted 6/7/2014 8:11:31 PM(edited)
I find it funny when people use "tank" to describe that control scheme; when you are actually controlling your character through his perspective; thus, up on the D-Pad/analog stick always goes forward, down makes him walk back, etc. Also, the so-called "revolutionary" and almighty Resident Evil 4 also uses that scheme, the difference is that the camera is fixed on Leon's back; even Resident Of Dut... I mean, Resident Evil 5, uses it.

But anyway, Silent Hill 2 and 3 both have the option to use 2D controls, where you control your character depending on the camera's location; so, say you are in a straight corridor, looking at the character's back, up will go forward, but down will automatically make him face down and head to that direction, instead of walking back. Fatal Frame 2 and 3 (don't know about the first one) are set to that scheme by default, but you can use the 3D scheme ("tank" scheme).

I understand that many people find it difficult to use it, but just to share my experiences, I've played many games with that control scheme since I was around 9, and never had a drop of trouble with it.
#14wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 5:55:53 AM
hindd92 posted...
I find it funny when people use "tank" to describe that control scheme; when you are actually controlling your character through his perspective; thus, up on the D-Pad/analog stick always goes forward, down makes him walk back, etc. Also, the so-called "revolutionary" and almighty Resident Evil 4 also uses that scheme, the difference is that the camera is fixed on Leon's back; even Resident Of Dut... I mean, Resident Evil 5, uses it.

But anyway, Silent Hill 2 and 3 both have the option to use 2D controls, where you control your character depending on the camera's location; so, say you are in a straight corridor, looking at the character's back, up will go forward, but down will automatically make him face down and head to that direction, instead of walking back. Fatal Frame 2 and 3 (don't know about the first one) are set to that scheme by default, but you can use the 3D scheme ("tank" scheme).

I understand that many people find it difficult to use it, but just to share my experiences, I've played many games with that control scheme since I was around 9, and never had a drop of trouble with it.

You've never had trouble because you grew up playing with those controls. I never played Resident Evil when I was younger (and still haven't). I had a hard enough time back then making the transition from d-pad to analog sticks.
---
Richard Gere is starting a rock band called... Metal Gere..!?
#15Deja-EntenduPosted 6/8/2014 6:19:04 AM
Tank controls really aren't as cumbersome as people make them out to be. Fatal Frame uses 2D controls, and that game by far is the most difficult to play game I've ever seen. Those controls suuuuuuck.

Anyway, Condemned (if you have a 360/mildly competent PC) and it's sequel are good. More so the first one. It's first person
Silent Hill 2/3/4/Downpour (although 3 is a direct sequel to 1)
Lone Survivor
Deadly Premonition (if you can even count this)
RE6/Revelations

That's all I can think of atm that doesn't have tank controls/has the option to change schemes
---
bettr than u deal w/ it
Tune of the week: Archangel- Burial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7hBUL9kk1Y
#16hindd92Posted 6/8/2014 8:44:22 AM
The "problem" with 2D controls, at least in Fatal Frame 2 and 3, is that, most times you are holding the analog stick towards one direction, and if you let go, the sensitivity will make the character suddenly change direction (like, the analog may swiftly move to one spot while resetting to the center). With 3D controls, that will never happen, because you hold up to go forward, and "veer" your character by tilting the analog slightly to the sides (while holding up).

Also, the 3D scheme is even easier in Fatal Frame, since holding the Run button automacially makes the character run forward, so all you have to do is tilt the analog stick to the direction you want to turn.

As with anything in life, all it takes is practice. Not willing to learn a control scheme will make you skip some of the best video games ever made (in my opinion).
#17Sanger_ZPosted 6/8/2014 8:48:54 AM
I can play with tank controls fine, but they're still so slow that it makes it difficult to even turn when you need to, so I still hate them.

Something like Megaman Legends would have worked much better.
---
Play Guilty Gear, it's a good game.
"Even Edinorog thirsts for blood!" Zenia Valov