This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways an adult can balance gaming nowadays?

#1Jx1010Posted 6/12/2014 10:32:24 AM(edited)
Are there ways an adult can balance gaming with very little time for gaming but hoping to still play some at times... or is giving up gaming the only option?
With only about a day to play per week, only couple of hours during that day.

Short PS3 games like Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid 4, Zone of the enders 2 are great because basically they are short and designed this way. Personally I find the ideal game to be designed for about 10 hours.

However PS3 games or RPGs like Persona 3, Persona 4, upcoming Persona 5, Dragons Crown, Mass Effect 3, Disgaea 4 are not that great because they take many, many hours and someone with little time to spend on them and not looking to jump into such a deep game will not find it worth it with other things going on in their lifes.

Online multiplayers are out of the question, since they require one to spend alot of time on them.
Just about every ''long'' game is just filled with copy/paste elements of a game used as ''fillers'' and I find the only purpose is to keep the gamer repeating the same process over and over again with the illusion that it is a long game.
#2este914Posted 6/12/2014 10:32:30 AM
Sometimes stay up a little later to play. Or skip work for a day to do stuff for yourself.
---
.The One ... [ este914 ] ... The Only.
Knowledge Speaks. Wisdom Listens.
#3FredericChopinPosted 6/12/2014 10:43:01 AM
T.C.,

Great topic!

I am in the same boat as you. Not ever planning on giving up gaming though. I am not sure if there is any good answer to this problem... but what I try to do is have certain days of the week where I don't even plan to turn my PS3 on, and try to get as much work done those days as possible, so to have more free time on off days. I am lucky to have a job with extremely unbalanced work hours (sometimes I might work 40+ hours over three days, and then have a few days completely off), so that helps.

Also helps if you are married to someone who is understanding of gaming as a hobby!

Even still I usually only complete 3-4 games per year, and have a backlog to show for it. I personally am looking forward to Persona 5, and might have to take a staycation when that comes out.
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!"
- Frederic Chopin, Eternal Sonata
#4RedSox342Posted 6/12/2014 10:44:22 AM
This is why I would kill myself before I make a friend or girlfriend. Too little time to do what is important for me. Even class and a job wastes a crapload of time, but friends would just make gaming impossible.
---
PSN: mrcamilo7
#5Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 10:46:03 AM
FredericChopin posted...
T.C.,

Great topic!

I am in the same boat as you. Not ever planning on giving up gaming though. I am not sure if there is any good answer to this problem... but what I try to do is have certain days of the week where I don't even plan to turn my PS3 on, and try to get as much work done those days as possible, so to have more free time on off days. I am lucky to have a job with extremely unbalanced work hours (sometimes I might work 40+ hours over three days, and then have a few days completely off), so that helps.

Also helps if you are married to someone who is understanding of gaming as a hobby!

Even still I usually only complete 3-4 games per year, and have a backlog to show for it. I personally am looking forward to Persona 5, and might have to take a staycation when that comes out.

I look forward to Persona 5 as well... however as much as I loved Persona 3, I wont be able to jump into 5 since I wont have the time.
#6Kirbopher13Posted 6/12/2014 10:47:53 AM
Where do people get this mistaken impression that online "requires large amounts of time?"
It's literally exactly opposite of that. Lets just take CoD as a simple example. You go in, play a 10-minute match, at most, and you're out.
Some games can take even less, like fighting games.
Regardless, online is generally the best way to play for someone looking for bite-sized gaming sessions.

As for making time, I don't think I could tell you. You know your schedule better than any of us.
Just go over things you have to do and things you want to do and make room for gaming if you really want to during any free hours you have.
---
Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own. - George Carlin
#7Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 10:52:29 AM
Kirbopher13 posted...
Where do people get this mistaken impression that online "requires large amounts of time?"
It's literally exactly opposite of that. Lets just take CoD as a simple example. You go in, play a 10-minute match, at most, and you're out.
Some games can take even less, like fighting games.
Regardless, online is generally the best way to play for someone looking for bite-sized gaming sessions.

As for making time, I don't think I could tell you. You know your schedule better than any of us.
Just go over things you have to do and things you want to do and make room for gaming if you really want to during any free hours you have.

Online is the most time consuming and addicting style of gameplay.
Take a First Person Shooter for example.... you need to level up to unlock weapons and items which requires hours of gameplay... which requires knowledge of gameplay because there are countless losers online with no life but to play the game every single day all day long
#8Battleship_GrayPosted 6/12/2014 10:55:03 AM
It's really not too tough for me to game and I have very few free hours in a day. Though I don't sleep much so that frees up another few hours.
---
Recent-ish art: http://i.imgur.com/9xdUz1n.jpg
#9RatB20Posted 6/12/2014 10:59:48 AM
This is made especially difficult when your girlfriend hogs the tv all the time.
I think what most people do is make a 'game room' in their home. Personally, I would rather have a 'study' for more meaningful activities.
It's always good to have a friend who enjoys gaming and go to their place to play. This means you can save cash and be a grown up, at the same time indulging in a guilty pleasure. The best of both worlds.
---
"Americans are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth."
- Revolver Ocelot
#10RedSox342Posted 6/12/2014 11:01:59 AM
RatB20 posted...
This is made especially difficult when your girlfriend hogs the tv all the time.
I think what most people do is make a 'game room' in their home. Personally, I would rather have a 'study' for more meaningful activities.
It's always good to have a friend who enjoys gaming and go to their place to play. This means you can save cash and be a grown up, at the same time indulging in a guilty pleasure. The best of both worlds.

Or you could just abandon your friends/girlfriend... that will save you an unbelievable amount of time. True freedom.
---
PSN: mrcamilo7