This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways an adult can balance gaming nowadays?

#41BrokenChaos666Posted 6/12/2014 3:30:21 PM
For myself I decided I never want children and will only be with someone I can share my hobby with on a regular basis. I also don't have an interest in going out and being social so working a day job and gaming in the evening works well for me.

It's sad to say but as an adult you kind of have to choose. Do you want a family and a social life? If yes, you'll have a lot less time to game and will have to deal with it. Get some friends you can game with so you can hit two birds with one stone there at least.
#42Furikuri_flclPosted 6/12/2014 3:35:16 PM
Quit your job.
---
Latest game(s) crossed off my backlog: Mega Man IV (Anniversary Collection).
Collection completion rate: 59.5%.
#43allergyseasonPosted 6/12/2014 3:36:41 PM
I have struggled with this question for years, and I have somewhat of a solution, if you're willing.

Retro games.

Think about it, back then, games were made much differently. For instance, if you were good enough, you could beat most Sega Genesis games in an hour or two, tops. But, they were hard as crap so you would play them just a little bit each day and eventually you got good enough to beat it over say, a 6 month period. Indie games also kind of do this.

Other than that, honestly I recommend just quitting. I know personally say I get a new game and get to play it for an hour, it's almost like torture going to work and all that because I'm dying to play it. 1 hour a day or a week just simply isn't enough for today's games that demand 100+ hours from you. Oh, phone games are pretty good for this too. You can play em when pooping.
---
It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else.
GameFAQs user since 1995.
#44bvillebroPosted 6/12/2014 3:37:07 PM
Jx1010 posted...
bvillebro posted...
Jx1010 posted...
However PS3 games or RPGs like Persona 3, Persona 4, upcoming Persona 5, Dragons Crown, Mass Effect 3, Disgaea 4 are not that great because they take many, many hours and someone with little time to spend on them and not looking to jump into such a deep game will not find it worth it with other things going on in their lifes.
My post

You took things the wrong way.
I dont mean that RPG players dont have a life, I love RPGs except for the fact they are too long. But what I meant was that with other things going on, I have to put other things as priority leaving the games for last... and an RPG being so long is just way too long to keep up with.

I can play a day and come back to it two weeks later.... I wont remember some details of where I left off in some RPGs.

Thanks for the kind reply. If i misinterpreted your post, Im sorry, though it did seem that way.

Thats why I was adamant in stating that I wasnt trying to be rude. I think its important to have a disagreement but keep things in a civil discussion

Anyway, maybe it just has to do with different tastes. E.G. i can take long breaks in between an RPG and still come back, remember things and have fun. In fact, its the only thing that, in these days, can keep an RPG like Xenogears fun (despite being my favorite RPG of all time, its one of the slowest paced)

I would just say do what I recommended above. Take a time slot out on certain nights a week that you can allocate to having fun OF ANY MEANS.

Most weeks, you will spend it playing video games. But if a week comes up where you want to go to a bar, or take your girlfriend out to dinner or whatever, you are borrowing from your fun time, and not from being busy time

In short, your video game time should be incorporated into your leisure time. If I want to take my sister out to see a movie, I dont take away from my schoolwork, my job time, or my time at the gym. I take it out of my gaming time

So it just depends on how your prioritize things I guess. If i get a really good game, im not gonna lie, but it goes high up on my "fun" priorities.
---
Learning something new every day
#45Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 3:40:04 PM
bvillebro posted...
Jx1010 posted...
bvillebro posted...
Jx1010 posted...
However PS3 games or RPGs like Persona 3, Persona 4, upcoming Persona 5, Dragons Crown, Mass Effect 3, Disgaea 4 are not that great because they take many, many hours and someone with little time to spend on them and not looking to jump into such a deep game will not find it worth it with other things going on in their lifes.
My post

You took things the wrong way.
I dont mean that RPG players dont have a life, I love RPGs except for the fact they are too long. But what I meant was that with other things going on, I have to put other things as priority leaving the games for last... and an RPG being so long is just way too long to keep up with.

I can play a day and come back to it two weeks later.... I wont remember some details of where I left off in some RPGs.

Thanks for the kind reply. If i misinterpreted your post, Im sorry, though it did seem that way.

Thats why I was adamant in stating that I wasnt trying to be rude. I think its important to have a disagreement but keep things in a civil discussion

Anyway, maybe it just has to do with different tastes. E.G. i can take long breaks in between an RPG and still come back, remember things and have fun. In fact, its the only thing that, in these days, can keep an RPG like Xenogears fun (despite being my favorite RPG of all time, its one of the slowest paced)

I would just say do what I recommended above. Take a time slot out on certain nights a week that you can allocate to having fun OF ANY MEANS.

Most weeks, you will spend it playing video games. But if a week comes up where you want to go to a bar, or take your girlfriend out to dinner or whatever, you are borrowing from your fun time, and not from being busy time

In short, your video game time should be incorporated into your leisure time. If I want to take my sister out to see a movie, I dont take away from my schoolwork, my job time, or my time at the gym. I take it out of my gaming time

So it just depends on how your prioritize things I guess. If i get a really good game, im not gonna lie, but it goes high up on my "fun" priorities.

Yes I hear ya.
Just now that Im grown up it feels like I want to do so many things that days are short.
I look forward to Persona 5 and the new Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or X, whatever its called. Maybe I'll get them.
#46Darkstorm16Posted 6/12/2014 3:45:55 PM
Now I have no problem with gaming and time, I just sacrifice time for reading
---
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Currently playing: Giana Sisters Twisted Dream (PC)/Yugioh wc 2011 (DS)
#47odcrl001Posted 6/12/2014 4:05:32 PM
Since we don't know you or your routine, and it can vary from day to day what I can tell you from a 31 year old that has been then and there is You're going to have to quit gaming.

Or you're just going to have to compromise one way or another. Buy some of those short games that you mention and play them when you can and hold yourself. Or get a 3DS and play on the go or buy some VC retro games like a person already said.
---
You think your're being funny?
...Pink bunny!
#48boodgenuminusPosted 6/12/2014 4:21:01 PM
Buy a Playstation Vita.

Seriously. That thing is f'ing awesome, you can put it in standby with the press of a button, and when you pick it back up you start playing within 5 seconds.

No long boot-up, no long loading screen, you don't have to wait through 15 splash screens just to get to the main menu, which you then have to navigate to select your save file and load up...

It just rocks.
#49jefferyjosephhPosted 6/12/2014 4:24:33 PM
Same for me so I switched to handheld gaming which is much easier to grab time anywhere......lots of car time waiting for kids etc. I'm 90% hand held now
#50calhoun1389Posted 6/12/2014 4:31:33 PM
ConsumerWarning posted...
I know the solution... and this is also a key to financial stability AND happiness...

DON'T HAVE KIDS!!

Similarly, you could not date or attend family events.

Btw, as a father of a 2 year old, this is still the stupidest excuse to not have kids. My son, while frustrating at times, hasn't cut that much into my gaming (he actually loves watching and playing with a dead PS3 controller) nor has he destabilized our financial situation.
---
The series finale to HIMYM was one of the most BS endings I've ever seen on TV.
http://backloggery.com/calhoun1389