This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ways an adult can balance gaming nowadays?

#51SaffronGhostPosted 6/12/2014 4:35:30 PM
Jx1010 posted...

Online multiplayers are out of the question, since they require one to spend alot of time on them.

lolwut, this is the exact opposite of the truth.
#52vega2505Posted 6/12/2014 4:42:51 PM
If you want to game more than you have to remove the things from your life that are preventing this...either sleep, work, socializing or family...you can't have everything.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#53retep_onePosted 6/12/2014 5:14:19 PM
what i do is during work days i play 2-3 hrs. during rest days maybe set aside a day to do other stuff like going out, then the 2nd rest day to play abt 4-5 hrs (usually the day before the week starts again).

dont play fighting games competitively anymore and just play for fun. for rpg's i do grinding for workdays or do the short sidequests. during restdays that's when i get to the storyline
---
PSN: Spectre0415
spectre status recognized......
#54RPG maniac87Posted 6/12/2014 5:21:32 PM(edited)
I have way more time to game than ever before. If you want more time to game, don't use up your free time with stuff you don't care about.

vega2505 posted...
If you want to game more than you have to remove the things from your life that are preventing this...either sleep, work, socializing or family...you can't have everything.

You can't remove sleep and work (unless you're loaded), but everything else is optional.
---
a fool and a tool -RyuVegas
#55Axess68Posted 6/12/2014 5:20:10 PM
I have a lot of time now that my kids are grown up and out on their own. Plus, I'm no longer married.... which is a HUGE PLUS!

Don't get married. Just don't. There is absolutely NO reason for it.
#56Kage_AM2Posted 6/12/2014 5:25:19 PM
Fighting game pros in Japan work 13 hours a day and play at the arcade in their spare time. If you love games you'll play them, simple as that.
#57master_chief_82Posted 6/12/2014 5:59:25 PM
I'm a 32 year old gamer with a 2 year old and I understand not having as much time to game. The best thing for me is to just focus on one game at a time and not have a backlog of games, unless of course there's some really good sales like psn has been having. You can also save money that way because by the time you're finished, prices will drop. Also accept there's just some games you'll never play but that's really ok; a game is just a game.
#58master_chief_82Posted 6/12/2014 6:01:35 PM
Axess68 posted...
I have a lot of time now that my kids are grown up and out on their own. Plus, I'm no longer married.... which is a HUGE PLUS!

I lol'd, fortunately my wife and I know the key to a successful marriage is to have our own space.
#59Xian042Posted 6/12/2014 6:11:24 PM
I'm an older gamer with a full time job, a wife, and a baby on the way. I have a friend older than me who also is involved with school activities in the evenings and he still finds time to game. So its possible. Yes you have to sacrifice certain games because you just won't have the time for them. RPG's are rough, especially open world RPG's like Skyrim that can distract you with side quests or exploring, it can be impossible to find the time to actually finish the game.

MMO's are out for me. I will never ever play WoW again, its a fantastic game but a very cruel time sink. You can spend 3 hours farming and not even realize it. When your time is limited, instant gratification becomes more important.

I recently been getting into online shooters because the action is instant and fast. Yes you can get caught up in unlocking more weapons and perks but you don't HAVE to do that. with a little practice you can hold your own with a basic loadout. The more you play the more you can unlock and without mindless farming you are able to improve you game by playing the actual game without being sidetracking into farming or crafting or some other mundane tedious task.

Other than that I been getting into a lot of indie games. FTL is fantastic, its HARD, but each game only lasts about 20 minutes and I get better with each playthough.

It would be great to be 22, single, and live at home forever, but some day you'll have to put your big boy pants on and live like humans. But don't worry, if gaming is truly your passion, there will always be time for it.
---
Ouch! What do you do?
#60Axess68Posted 6/12/2014 6:27:11 PM
master_chief_82 posted...
Axess68 posted...

I lol'd, fortunately my wife and I know the key to a successful marriage is to have our own space.

That and decent In-laws that don't try to control your marriage -- like mine did. I was a tech support rep who worked from home so I could take care of my 2 girls. My ex in-laws felt I wasn't a man because I didn't work in a factory 12 hours a day like they did. So, they gave me a lot of trouble. Holidays were such a blast! (/sarcasm)