This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rec me a semi-recent game that offers a somewhat unique experience

#1logans_run_82Posted 6/12/2014 12:54:55 PM
i mean i get that after 30 - 40 years of videogames coming out that just about the majority of good ideas would be covered in some form or another.

so the lack of new ideas seen in upcoming releases isn't too shocking.

but lately i've been becoming one of those 'is gaming dying?' people only not so outspoken about it.

I've powered through a bunch of games recently and in the opening sequences of many of them where they introduce the gameplay mechanics it just seems like a rehash of something that was introduced years ago. Especially when it comes to level up systems and upgrading things in just about every videogame.

maybe i just need to take a break.

or revert back to sole older games from past generations that I've missed.
---
http://i.imgur.com/pSGCJHe.jpg
#2Skull007o_OPosted 6/12/2014 12:57:33 PM
Remember Me, maybe?

Okami HD?

Those katamari games?

Catherine?
---
FFX-3 teaser:
http://abload.de/img/kciksbombttsvx.gif
#3KojaxFXPosted 6/12/2014 12:58:04 PM
I feel ya. And honestly maybe just try to focus on a great story that might help you find something. I always recommend the Arkham games to people, or red Dead redepmtion.
---
Video games are awesome :D
#4You_Need_A_LifePosted 6/12/2014 1:00:42 PM
The Prince of Persia games are unique, and always fun. Even the 2008 stand-alone title.
#5gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 1:01:41 PM
Probably something like Mirror's Edge too, even though I didn't particularly liked it.
But you really should stop for a while. What do you expect after 20-30 years of gaming. It's not like it's possible to always invent new things. Some things are just common because they proved to be reliable parts of the game so we will probably keep them for a long time.
---
Last of Us, on the other hand, looks barely better than a PS2 game.
~icewolf74 1/11/2014 9:15:11 PM
#6Thor61Posted 6/12/2014 1:04:23 PM
I get that. It's hard to find a balance between unique ideas and fun gameplay. Sometimes the ideas become too gimicky and the gameplay suffers.
#74sakuraHa0Posted 6/12/2014 1:17:51 PM
Invite friends to play games(local coop if possible) with you. It will bring new joy with you.

Sometimes we forget that video game is another form of entertainment(like movies).
If you laugh or feel entertained then video game has fulfilled its job.

If playing video games does make you feel entertained maybe it is time to switch to another hobby.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#8A-CourtPosted 6/12/2014 1:20:24 PM
I imagine it would be really challenging to make new improvements over the pretty good mechanics that we have.

That is why a lot of changes they do make feel "gimmicky" or like change for the sake of change.

But if they stop trying then we will never get improvements. (Insert COD joke here)

So I will continue to try new gimmicky changes hoping to try the one that changes the game.
---
To be the Man, You have to beat the Man! WOOooooo!
It's called Wrestling, not "Fighting with Hedge clippers"
#9chaosdragon919Posted 6/12/2014 2:46:21 PM
Skull007o_O posted...
Remember Me, maybe?

Okami HD?

Those katamari games?

Catherine?

Literally came in here just to recommend Catherine.
---
Needs more books.
#10majin nemesisPosted 6/12/2014 2:51:02 PM
Ico
Shadow of the colossus
Limbo
---
"I love mankind it's people i can't stand"-Linus van Pelt,Peanuts