This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the difference, if any, between scripted events and in game cutscenes?

#1KittyMreowMrowPosted 6/12/2014 2:13:11 PM
In PS3 games?

We all know that with the PS3 gen there are far more scripted events and in game cutscenes in video games than ever before.

Scripted Events
In Game Cutscenes

Are they somewhat synonymous and what are the traits they share and differences?
#2gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 2:18:56 PM
What? Scripted events are things that are triggered ingame, an enemy ambush when you cross an imaginary line or whatever.
Cutscenes are cutscenes. In game cutscene is something you invented. Never heard a word like this. Cutscenes are always/never ingame, depends on the definition.
---
Last of Us, on the other hand, looks barely better than a PS2 game.
~icewolf74 1/11/2014 9:15:11 PM
#3bvillebroPosted 6/12/2014 2:23:55 PM
In game cutscenes are just that, cutscenes

If i could explain it in my view, scripted events are things that occur as a somewhat cinematic experience (optional) in which you have some manner of control over what your character is doing (i.e. you can move them around or give commands) but the outcome of the scenario has already been planned and cannot have any variance or deviance from the battle

Lots of games do this with interactive events/QTE sequences, or battles that you must lose or win

A scripted event would be, for example

MASSIVE FFVII SPOILERS

The final battle of FFVII, where you cannot lose. You either use omnislash to defeat sephiroth, or he attacks you. After being hit, you automatically counterattack and win the battle. The only way to lose is to hack

This is an example. The player did not actually choose to attack the boss, but they are scripted to win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haOZsAkchKI

Another example, which has a bit more freedom, but is still scripted

MAJOR METAL GEAR RISING SPOILERS

Early in the game, you fight an opponent on a train. You are scripted to lose this battle. Your character will take guard damge from the opponents attacks, which normally will not occur. You can fight him for a wide range of time (depending on your skill) but no matter what you do, you cannot win this fight.

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDAFUrjI_k

I hope this helps, and await responses from others
---
Learning something new every day
#4bvillebroPosted 6/12/2014 2:27:23 PM
Ohhh i see

Yea scripted events are just things that are programmed to happen, often based on triggers (like crossing a line etc)

A cutscene can be a scripted event.

My above post seemed to about a different concept

IDK what TC means. Everytime a new gen system arrives, they will take advantage of milestones in technology. Back then, we couldnt have as many cutscenes due to the power of our systems

Now that we do, we show it off. Its not exclusive to the PS3. The 360 and Wii had it too, and you can expect their successors to have them as well
---
Learning something new every day
#5gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 2:31:09 PM
btw: I'm amazed by the fact that TC isn't able to understand the difference between cutscene and script, but knows that both got a lot more in the last gen.
Another btw: Scripted events were even more common in the past, because it was impossible to design dynamic AI, everything was heavily scripted back then. People say that today there's more of it but it's not true.
---
#6KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 2:32:22 PM
gothmog87 posted...
Cutscenes are cutscenes. In game cutscene is something you invented.

Nope, and no it isn't. I didn't invent it.

Also, in-game cutscenes are also triggered.

bvillebro posted...
In game cutscenes are just that, cutscenes

Again, wrong.

In game cutscenes are when a scene plays out, but the game doesn't cut away to a pre-rendered CGI movie.

In game cutscenes happen, you sometimes have control over your character, sometimes not. Like when your character is frozen onscreen and you can't move, and NPCs are doing some sort of action. That is an in-game cutscene, because it doesn't cut to a movie, so that cutscene happened in game.

Two more examples would be Marcus Fenix in Gears of War talking and walking slowly, and Metal Gear Rising when Raiden is on the com, and your character can only walk very slowly. Oh and another one would be in the last of us, with all those scenes of joel and ellie. Or maybe you'd put this under scripted events, or both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutscene

A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game over which the player has no or only limited control, breaking up the gameplay and used to advance the plot, strengthen the main character's development, introduce characters, and provide background information, atmosphere, dialogue, and clues. Cutscenes often feature "on the fly" rendering, using the gameplay graphics to create scripted events. Cutscenes can also be animated, live action, or pre-rendered computer graphics streamed from a video file. Pre-made videos used in video games (either during cutscenes or during the gameplay itself) are referred to as "full motion videos" or "FMVs". Other cutscenes can simply just be text interludes with speech bubbles over the characters' faces.

anyhow, I remember when in game cutscenes were new and all the rage, but I hate them, and they're partially responsible for ruining gaming.
#7gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 2:37:54 PM(edited)
Wow, so toxic. Why do you even ask if you think you know it all?
If you think gaming is ruined you can stick to your scripted crap of the past and play that turd. I can't see any problems with that.
EDIT: Cutscene is a cutscene. If the fact that it's prerendered/ingame makes a difference to you then you got some serious problems.
AND: If you can control your character (even only slowly) then I would call it a scripted event and not a cutscene most of the time. Only exception would be AC1 which was just strange.
---
#8KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 2:40:18 PM
gothmog87 posted...
Wow, so toxic. Why do you even ask if you think you know it all?

You just said it was something I invented, when it is a real term that I did not invent. So, you are being the know it all with your useless assumptions.

gothmog87 posted...
If you think gaming is ruined you can stick to your scripted crap of the past and play that turd. I can't see any problems with that.

I cannot take you seriously if you just called classic gaming turds, when in reality, modern gaming is the turd here.

gothmog87 posted...
EDIT: Cutscene is a cutscene. If the fact that it's prerendered/ingame makes a difference to you then you got some serious problems.

There's a HUMONGOUS difference between the game switching to a FMV onscreen, to seeing characters move around onscreen (that you aren't controlling), performing a specific scene.

So no, not the same at all.
#9gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 2:45:31 PM(edited)
Okay *thumbs up*
Again: Why do you ask? You seem to have visited some lectures about in game cutscenes at your local university.

Or do you just wanted to show how much you despise modern gaming?
You special snowflake, you.
---
#10KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 2:48:24 PM
gothmog87 posted...

Again: Why do you ask? You seem to have visited some lectures about in game cutscenes at your local university.

Because this is a video game message board and I am asking a question / making a topic about video games.

Fair enough?

Why are you posting in a topic about cutscenes and scripted events?

Anyhow, the reason why I am curious is that in many ways they overlap, and in many cases may be two terms to describe the same thing.