This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the difference, if any, between scripted events and in game cutscenes?

#11gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 2:55:22 PM(edited)
So you ask where the difference is and when people give you an answer to it you flame them and say there isn't one and modern gaming blows.
---
Last of Us, on the other hand, looks barely better than a PS2 game.
~icewolf74 1/11/2014 9:15:11 PM
#12KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 3:02:13 PM
gothmog87 posted...
So you ask where the difference is and when people give you an answer to it you flame them and say there isn't one and modern gaming blows.

Calling you a "know it all" is flaming you?

Also, no, not at all.

I am confused about in-game cutscenes and scripted events. They're either very similar or the same, or overlap. I made this topic because I want to learn the distinction between the two. I've been wondering for a long time, but never asked about it.
#13gothmog87Posted 6/12/2014 3:04:25 PM
So, what did you learn out of this troll topic? I'm highly interested in your conclusion
---
Last of Us, on the other hand, looks barely better than a PS2 game.
~icewolf74 1/11/2014 9:15:11 PM
#14KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 3:07:37 PM
gothmog87 posted...
So, what did you learn out of this troll topic? I'm highly interested in your conclusion

It's a troll topic because you entered it?

How is it trolling to ask what the difference is between in-game cutscenes and scripted events?

You don't make any logical sense.

Also, you said it was flaming for me to call you a "know it all". WTF are you serious?
#15akuma634Posted 6/12/2014 4:32:27 PM
With scripted events, you're still in full control. The Half-Life series is a great example. That was where the idea was introduced back in 1998. In the first Half-Life the only cut scene I can remember is the ending. In the sequel, the only scenes were the opening and the ending. Everything else has you in control and you can always move around no matter what, and you have scripted events that happen like all hell breaking loose in the first game.

I wish more games took that approach to story telling as opposed to keeping gameplay and story segregated. In the average action game, it's like you run around beating all the enemies and then a cut scene is triggered to move the story across and then you beat more enemies until the next cut scene.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#16KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:36:07 PM
akuma634 posted...
With scripted events, you're still in full control. The Half-Life series is a great example. That was where the idea was introduced back in 1998. In the first Half-Life the only cut scene I can remember is the ending. In the sequel, the only scenes were the opening and the ending. Everything else has you in control and you can always move around no matter what, and you have scripted events that happen like all hell breaking loose in the first game.

I wish more games took that approach to story telling as opposed to keeping gameplay and story segregated. In the average action game, it's like you run around beating all the enemies and then a cut scene is triggered to move the story across and then you beat more enemies until the next cut scene.

Oh thank you, that explained much, perhaps not all though.

What about games with scenes where you only partially control your character? Like your character moves, but very slowly, or where you move slowly but can't turn or move where you want to? Scripted event?

So, an in game cutscene is where you see the game as it is when you play it, but your character moves according to what's going on with that scene, and you don't control it?

That clears up a lot if that is the case.
#17gzorze_00Posted 6/12/2014 4:36:11 PM
Well, you usually can't skip scripted events like you can w/ the cutscenes.
---
PSN ID: gzorze_00_
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Solid 4.
#18A_Nonny_MoosePosted 6/12/2014 4:39:06 PM
I generally think of a cutscene as those times when the game stops for a few minutes so the characters can talk and progress the story. These can be prerendered video files, or rendered in real time. Cutscenes rendered in real time using the in-game engine are what I would call in-game cutscenes.

Whereas, in the context of this topic, I assume that when you say in game cutscene you mean those times during a scripted event where you temporarily lose control. Like the plane crash in Uncharted 3. There's no transitions into traditional cutscenes, it's all one long scripted event, but there are times when you're not in control. Those would "in game cutscenes". Right?

Basically if you have any control over anything I wouldn't call it a cutscene.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#19KittyMreowMrow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 4:43:42 PM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
I generally think of a cutscene as those times when the game stops for a few minutes so the characters can talk and progress the story. These can be prerendered video files, or rendered in real time. Cutscenes rendered in real time using the in-game engine are what I would call in-game cutscenes.

Whereas, in the context of this topic, I assume that when you say in game cutscene you mean those times during a scripted event where you temporarily lose control. Like the plane crash in Uncharted 3. There's no transitions into traditional cutscenes, it's all one long scripted event, but there are times when you're not in control. Those would "in game cutscenes". Right?

Basically if you have any control over anything I wouldn't call it a cutscene.

Yes, precisely to all, I believe.
#20Axess68Posted 6/12/2014 5:07:03 PM
I like the Assassin's Creed series. But, the only thing I DON'T like about it is the fact that they STEER you through the story by blocking off sections of the game so that you will progress in the game the way THEY want you to. To me, that's not really playing a game, that is playing out someone else's somewhat-scripted storyline. I would like to be able to play the game the way I WANT to play, not the way the devs want me to play. I don't need to be led around by the nose by a programmer/writer/coder. I think I can figure it out for myself. I don't need the training wheels.

Also, I was originally thinking of buying Bayonetta. But, I don't think I will now. I watched a walkthrough on YouTube and the whole first half-hour of the game is CUTSCENE! I buy a game to play it! If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie!