This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does a video game character's voice actor have to be a big deal?

#1cheatermasterPosted 6/20/2014 4:34:14 PM
I don't mean to ask something. It's just I usually see people have problems with some character's voice actor. For example, look at some jrpg games. There a lot of people or at the least some people get all pissed off because some jrpg characters' voice actor was awful. Like apparently most people are really unhappy at the voice acting for some jrpg I've never heard called Chaos Wars (not that I've ever heard of it).

I can't think of any non jrpg games where people don't like a character's VA. I think maybe some people didn't like some of the voice acting in Elder Scrolls Skyrim (...I think). So does the voice acting of a character have to be very good? I mean why do they all have to be good and not be so awful it annoys people to death just by hearing them talk? Personally, while I admit I get annoyed at one or two bad voice acting, but generally speaking I don't really care because I learned to get used to it eventually.
#2gzorze_00Posted 6/20/2014 4:40:05 PM
When a character is important, his voice can make the difference between annoying and cool.
The problem w/ Skyrim's voices is the repetition.
---
PSN ID: gzorze_00_
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Solid 4.
#3SalvadorzamoPosted 6/20/2014 4:40:47 PM
Vanille's voice from FF13 drove me crazy.
---
PSN: Salvadorzamo
#4JanayBerryPosted 6/20/2014 4:42:19 PM
Not really!

As long as they don't talk like they are reading like robots, it's cool woth me.
---
PSN / NNID: Jim_Berry / Jim_Berry
FFXIV: ARR - http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3089119/
#5edicius6Posted 6/20/2014 4:46:00 PM(edited)
It's not that jarring for me. But personally, REALLY bad voice acting makes me uncomfortable.

Vanille's voice from FFXIII. Or Lymle from Star Ocean Last Hope. Or pretty much all of Arc Rise Fantasia.
#6awesomesauce13Posted 6/20/2014 4:59:35 PM
A really bad voice actor can ruin a character, but I don't really care that much. On the other hand, having a well-known voice actor in a game also kinda ruins it. I feel like Resonance of Fate and Nier, while the main characters were still awesome, would have been slightly better if they weren't Nathan Drake
#7cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 4:59:48 PM
Seriously? A character's voice acting HAS to be good, no matter what and whether anyone likes it or not? Can't people just learn to get used to even the most terrible voice acting? Cause like I said, sure I get annoyed at one or two. But generally I don't care because I learn to get used to them, no matter how awful. So everyone is saying all voice acting HAVE to be amazing no matter what?
#8OracleGunnerPosted 6/20/2014 5:04:43 PM
cheatermaster posted...
Seriously? A character's voice acting HAS to be good, no matter what and whether anyone likes it or not? Can't people just learn to get used to even the most terrible voice acting? Cause like I said, sure I get annoyed at one or two. But generally I don't care because I learn to get used to them, no matter how awful. So everyone is saying all voice acting HAVE to be amazing no matter what?

Not necessarily. Vanille is horrible anyway so she could be voiced by *insert famous and preferred VA here* and some people would still hate her. For me is if it fits. For example: Banagher's English VA in DWG3, I can't stand him, it's too deep for the character and really doesn't fit him. FF VA would have been better IMO.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:3
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#9Run_2_the_HillsPosted 6/20/2014 5:05:07 PM
it doesnt bug me much, but a good VA can really set the tone.
#10cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 5:09:23 PM
Wait. It's because a voice actor has to fit a character? I don't get it, what difference does that make? I don't think I understand how a voice actor has to fit a character.