This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does a video game character's voice actor have to be a big deal?

#11OracleGunnerPosted 6/20/2014 6:12:55 PM
cheatermaster posted...
Wait. It's because a voice actor has to fit a character? I don't get it, what difference does that make? I don't think I understand how a voice actor has to fit a character.

If a character is a 16 year old; but the VA uses the voice of a 30 year old, it doesn't fit. If a VA sounds happy during a scene where the character he or she plays is shown to be sad, it doesn't fit.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle That Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:3
The Official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#12Kirbopher13Posted 6/20/2014 6:26:11 PM
awesomesauce13 posted...
A really bad voice actor can ruin a character, but I don't really care that much. On the other hand, having a well-known voice actor in a game also kinda ruins it. I feel like Resonance of Fate and Nier, while the main characters were still awesome, would have been slightly better if they weren't Nathan Drake

...are you deaf? Not only is Jameson Price not Nolan North, but they sound nothing alike.
---
Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own. - George Carlin
#13CBratePosted 6/20/2014 7:59:55 PM
The biggest problem with voice acting is you only notice it when it's done badly.
#14karate_chopPosted 6/20/2014 8:06:20 PM
I think people just get accustomed to certain characters voices. Take, Michael Ironside/Sam Fisher and David Hayter/Solid Snake. When people don't hear the voice they've come to love, they panic, rant, cry etc. Everybody wants change, but nobody wants to accept it
---
PSN: Karate-chop
Art: http://www.Karate-chop.deviantart.com Band: http://www.throngofshoggoths.com
#150xd3adfacePosted 6/20/2014 9:27:41 PM
CBrate posted...
The biggest problem with voice acting is you only notice it when it's done badly.
#16gotohadesPosted 6/20/2014 9:49:08 PM(edited)
I normally don't say that its terribly necessary, but really good voice acting and really bad voice acting are noticeable. In my opinion you see a lot of people complain about the VA in JRPGs because its more difficult to put a voice to a more animated character like that. A prime example of this is the Tales series of games. I don't feel that there is a middle ground with those voices. People either hate them or love them and I think it all comes down to the fact that its hard to imagine what these types of characters are supposed to sound like. Compare that to a game like The Last of Us (one of my personal faves) which is meant to be somewhat realistic and it suddenly becomes easier to imagine a modern voice behind those kinds of characters. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson did an absolutely amazing job as VA in TLoU and for anyone who plays a variety of games it definitely shows. Of course there are some games that just have terrible VA and no amount of explanation will save them. I think someone mentioned Arc Rise Fantasia and as far as just plain bad VA goes that ones pretty up there for me as well. It's only saving grace was its gameplay and its awesome soundtrack.
---
"To roll poorly once may be regarded as misfortune. To roll poorly TWICE looks like carelessness."
3DS Friend Code: Micah 4682-8451-8168