This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing which games or kinds of games qualifies you as a "hipster" gamer?

#71darkslayer001Posted 7/13/2014 12:10:29 AM
epictetus1216 posted...
KittyMreowMrow posted...
The Last of Us
Call of Duty
DmC
Final Fantasy XIII
Enslaved
Journey
Ass Creed
Flower

Flower and Journey are the only 2 games that qualify on this list. The other are too mainstream, which is contemptible to a hipster.

DmC can be arguable. for a lack of a better term the 'hivemind' considers it simply a poor HnS while a few find it fun...
#72GamenamebullyPosted 7/13/2014 7:03:54 AM
I dislike the "hipster" labeling. It doesn't matter if you like something popular like Grand Theft Auto and Assassins Creed or if you like something lesser popular like Nier or Disgaea. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Regardless of popularity.
---
The Only Sane Gamer.
PSN Name: Gamenamebully Steam: BernkastelWitch
#73Bleu_SkiePosted 7/13/2014 12:30:34 PM
When I think of a hipster, I think of Samberg in "I threw it on the ground". I just do.
---
I see you talking, but all I hear is syphilis! -Stocking Anarchy
#74harold317Posted 7/18/2014 7:28:03 AM
Music games.
#75MR_SorenPosted 7/18/2014 7:54:22 AM
epictetus1216 posted...
Somebody who's too much of a snob to play a AAA title. They only play niche games that have a cult following, probably with a poor rating because they're cooler and know better. Also, arcade games like Braid and Limbo made by cutting edge developers on a low budget. Also games that show artistic freedom snubbed by major publishers who don't know any better...

Huh... maybe I'm a gaming hipster. Never thought it about it that way. I'm not "too much of a snob" to play AAA games, but I haven't cared much for the ones I've tried.

Oh wait, no, I'm not a hipster, I just like what I like.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#76luigi13579Posted 7/18/2014 10:17:40 AM
Questionmarktarius posted...
The correct answer is "Gamecube games", and I have no idea why.

Heh, I must be a massive hipster then.

3-4 out of my top 10 games are GameCube games (Metroid Prime 1 & 2, F-Zero GX and *maybe* Tales of Symphonia depending on how I'm feeling), I own more GameCube games than PS2 games (although the gap is constantly shrinking as I pick up more of the PS2 games I missed out on, plus I acknowledge that the PS2 is far better overall) and I'm constantly replaying GameCube games (I'm replaying Skies of Arcadia Legends right now and will probably replay REmake next).
#77HarryBotter14Posted 7/21/2014 6:01:34 AM
freakofnature30 posted...
Hipster is so mainstream that not being a hipster is hipster.

Happy I could clarify.

So if you're a hipster, then you're not a hipster.
And if you aren't a hipster, then you are?

SO DO HIPSTERS EXIST??? *inception*
It's conspiracy time!
---
I just realized i'm exactly one year on Gamefaqs.
http://i.imgur.com/eq4OEVG.png
#78DevilTears604Posted 7/21/2014 6:06:52 AM
If you're not a "hipster," you're a "conformist."
If you're not a "conformist," you're a "hipster."

What does it matter? Just play what you like to play and don't worry about how other people feel about it.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.
#79gothmog87Posted 7/21/2014 6:10:20 AM
On gamefaqs you're a hipster if you like a game with an average rating above 70% or if there aren't any little girls in stockings in it.
---
Last of Us, on the other hand, looks barely better than a PS2 game.
~icewolf74 1/11/2014 9:15:11 PM
#80QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/21/2014 8:44:29 AM
luigi13579 posted...
Questionmarktarius posted...
The correct answer is "Gamecube games", and I have no idea why.

Heh, I must be a massive hipster then.

If you bought them, or at least a significant portion, when Gamecube was still current, then no.

If, however, you ebay'd a gamecube within the last year or so, and wander around pawnshops and thriftstores for gamecube games, then maybe.