This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Developer, just stop it with the QTE's.

#1temoorashrafPosted 7/8/2014 11:08:59 AM(edited)
QTE's as a concept aren't all that bad, but they are horribly applied. Especially when they're difficult. When I lose in a game I want it to feel like I died because I made a mistake. But QTE's that come out of nowhere just ruin it. When I'm watching a cutscene I want to leave the controller and enjoy it. When I just beat a boss I want to enjoy what I just did, not get assaulted by a QTE and die because of it.
Bayonetta might be one of the worst cases. It's an awesome game and the combat is responsive and fair, but I hate all those cheap deaths due to QTE's and some cheap sections. When I defeated the final boss I was so happy because that was one of the few bosses I had beaten without dying, but then there was some weird minigame and it didn't explain what I had to do and I died 8 times.
It's alright when they're implemented in games like Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. I play those games for the story and QTE's are a good way to focus completely on the story.
---
Jester's gonna spank your butt, spank you on the butt
#2shamfuruPosted 7/8/2014 10:45:40 AM
In LoS2 you can turn the QTEs off.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#3este914Posted 7/8/2014 11:03:11 AM
temoorashraf posted...
When I lose in a game I want it to be because I made a mistake.

You did make a mistake though. You failed at the QTE.
---
.The One ... [ este914 ] ... The Only.
Knowledge Speaks. Wisdom Listens.
#4temoorashraf(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 11:11:21 AM
este914 posted...
temoorashraf posted...

That's not a fair death now is it.
You spend all this time to become better at the game, and when you do and start wrecking enemies, you die because you couldn't press the button in 2 seconds. Trial and error is fine in games, but most games just aren't meant for it. In stealth games, it's okay, but not in a character action game.
---
Jester's gonna spank your butt, spank you on the butt
#5yenmaster1Posted 7/8/2014 11:34:12 AM
In action games, when you fail a QTE, it should only set you back a little, for example, the boss getting back some life and you have to fight him/her/it a little to re-start the QTE. Death by QTE is cheap because you cannot apply any of the regular game mechanics you spend hours to master to succeed.
#6KittyMreowMrowPosted 7/8/2014 11:34:26 AM
este914 posted...
temoorashraf posted...

I cannot count the amount of times that I have died even when inputting the correct QTE sequence in the allotted time.
---
http://dailyatheistquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/russell.jpg
If you are nihilist and 100% proud of it put this in your sig. Or not, whatev.
#7Mad_CauliflowerPosted 7/8/2014 11:37:09 AM
KittyMreowMrow posted...
este914 posted...
temoorashraf posted...

I cannot count the amount of times that I have died even when inputting the correct QTE sequence in the allotted time.

except you clearly didn't input the correct QTE sequence in the allotted time. Since you, you know, didn't succeed
---
Those mostly foul, cry foul the most
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out
#8majin nemesisPosted 7/8/2014 11:40:14 AM
Mad_Cauliflower posted...
KittyMreowMrow posted...
este914 posted...
temoorashraf posted...

except you clearly didn't input the correct QTE sequence in the allotted time. Since you, you know, didn't succeed

this
---
"I love mankind it's people i can't stand"-Linus van Pelt,Peanuts
#9KittyMreowMrowPosted 7/8/2014 11:40:20 AM
Except I did, and it has happened many times. I'm always like, "WTF YOU STUPID QTE GAME, I INPUT THE BUTTONS CORRECTLY AND IN TIME, SO WHY THE F DID I DIE?!!!!!!!!!!!". It's one of the most frustrating things in games.

I just wish developers focused on real gameplay, but I guess video game developers have forgotten how to create gameplay in their games.
---
http://dailyatheistquote.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/russell.jpg
If you are nihilist and 100% proud of it put this in your sig. Or not, whatev.
#10Mad_CauliflowerPosted 7/8/2014 11:41:36 AM
KittyMreowMrow posted...
Except I did, and it has happened many times. I'm always like, "WTF YOU STUPID QTE GAME, I INPUT THE BUTTONS CORRECTLY AND IN TIME, SO WHY THE F DID I DIE?!!!!!!!!!!!". It's one of the most frustrating things in games.

I just wish developers focused on real gameplay, but I guess video game developers have forgotten how to create gameplay in their games.

Except you clearly didn't.

Entering the correct QTE sequence in the time given to do so, results in success.

Are you seriously claiming to have done it, despite clearly not doing it? Are you subscribed to DSPgaming, by chance?
---
Those mostly foul, cry foul the most
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out