This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Developer, just stop it with the QTE's.

#51PerthboyPosted 7/8/2014 9:08:36 PM
temoorashraf posted...
QTE's as a concept aren't all that bad, but they are horribly applied. Especially when they're difficult. When I lose in a game I want it to feel like I died because I made a mistake. But QTE's that come out of nowhere just ruin it. When I'm watching a cutscene I want to leave the controller and enjoy it. When I just beat a boss I want to enjoy what I just did, not get assaulted by a QTE and die because of it.
Bayonetta might be one of the worst cases. It's an awesome game and the combat is responsive and fair, but I hate all those cheap deaths due to QTE's and some cheap sections. When I defeated the final boss I was so happy because that was one of the few bosses I had beaten without dying, but then there was some weird minigame and it didn't explain what I had to do and I died 8 times.
It's alright when they're implemented in games like Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. I play those games for the story and QTE's are a good way to focus completely on the story.

In regards to Bayonetta's last boss, there was a large lipstick target icon painted on the Sun and they prepared you with the head shot qte the stage before.
---
Perthboy
Mine is I-------------------this----------------------I big.
#52darkslayer001Posted 7/8/2014 9:50:13 PM
yenmaster1 posted...
In action games, when you fail a QTE, it should only set you back a little, for example, the boss getting back some life and you have to fight him/her/it a little to re-start the QTE. Death by QTE is cheap because you cannot apply any of the regular game mechanics you spend hours to master to succeed.

has any bosses actually implemented that?
#53PerthboyPosted 7/8/2014 10:07:45 PM
Ken's Rage does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1eWEIMTj4s
---
Perthboy
Mine is I-------------------this----------------------I big.
#54Neonwarrior1243Posted 7/8/2014 10:37:51 PM
darkslayer001 posted...
yenmaster1 posted...
In action games, when you fail a QTE, it should only set you back a little, for example, the boss getting back some life and you have to fight him/her/it a little to re-start the QTE. Death by QTE is cheap because you cannot apply any of the regular game mechanics you spend hours to master to succeed.

has any bosses actually implemented that?

Which one? Knight's Contract has both.
#55temoorashraf(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 3:12:27 AM
Perthboy posted...
temoorashraf posted...
QTE's as a concept aren't all that bad, but they are horribly applied. Especially when they're difficult. When I lose in a game I want it to feel like I died because I made a mistake. But QTE's that come out of nowhere just ruin it. When I'm watching a cutscene I want to leave the controller and enjoy it. When I just beat a boss I want to enjoy what I just did, not get assaulted by a QTE and die because of it.
Bayonetta might be one of the worst cases. It's an awesome game and the combat is responsive and fair, but I hate all those cheap deaths due to QTE's and some cheap sections. When I defeated the final boss I was so happy because that was one of the few bosses I had beaten without dying, but then there was some weird minigame and it didn't explain what I had to do and I died 8 times.
It's alright when they're implemented in games like Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. I play those games for the story and QTE's are a good way to focus completely on the story.

In regards to Bayonetta's last boss, there was a large lipstick target icon painted on the Sun and they prepared you with the head shot qte the stage before.

Really?
I didn't notice that. In my defence, there should have been a clearer hint as to what to do. When I played it, I didn't have an HD TV, so that was way too subtle a hint. The section was extremely punishing, so the least they could do was add some text to explain it.
Also, I had been playing the game for a long time and my brain felt like goo and I my eyes were hurting, so I could have missed that pretty easily.
---
Jester's gonna spank your butt, spank you on the butt