This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming as addictive as heroin? How many hours did your PS3 steal from you?

#31brolynickPosted 7/9/2014 9:36:08 AM
TC, if anything you are the addict here. There's no one on this site more addicted to making topics about sales than you. You also seem to be addicted to replying to yourself using alts. Maybe you should do something about your own addiction before making topics like these.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#32gotalamboPosted 7/9/2014 2:11:39 PM
Mad_Cauliflower posted...
gotalambo posted...
Mad_Cauliflower posted...
Heroin doesn't steal time, per se, it steals lives.

Do you know Kim Dotcom? He is a famous ex-con/hacker and gamer who is in the leaderboards for many games. He was playing 15 or 20 hours a day.

Result? They took all his money. His wife left him. He is facing jailtime. He is massively obese.

All from gaming? Who knows. But it sure played a huge part.

All heroin addicts screw up their lives some how. Even that guy that killed himself over Everquest, isn't a good example of gaming being a negative influence.

one is genuinely stupid, the other when not on heroine (which provides the most euphoric and amazing feeling in the world) can barely accept being alive without it, because anything other than heroin is pain.

Just because heroin is bad, does not mean gaming is good. And usually people start gaming at much younger ages when they do not have a lot of self-control yet.
---
Only very little people get mad at gaming topics... Get mad because you did not earn a million dollars this month yet...
#33TicapapelPosted 7/9/2014 2:50:00 PM
Funny how lots of people love frustrating games which requires lots of grinding and repetition, and then are worried that he/she spent 100 hours doing nothing in life. Go figure out.

[not saying it was TC case]
#34HighwayPilotPosted 7/9/2014 2:53:22 PM
It stole nothing, I put the time in willingly. I'd say watching TV is more of a time stealer with many shows even thinner in content than the weakest of games.
#35gotalamboPosted 7/9/2014 2:57:35 PM
Ticapapel posted...
Funny how lots of people love frustrating games which requires lots of grinding and repetition, and then are worried that he/she spent 100 hours doing nothing in life. Go figure out.

This was changed by the industry a lot, wasnt it? Games are not frustrating anymore nowadays they are easy so even children can complete them. And the point of games being so easy is so that people will always need to buy more games to get excited again.

Its also very rare now that people replay their games, its mostly about consuming games now, not about mastering games. Because if you master a game you dont have time to buy more games so the industry does not want this.

And our gaming brains might have changed/evolved too... towards wanting more and more experiences from many games. Over having to struggle and grind in only one game.

Thats why everyone /most people now have huge backlogs its even too many games to play.

But maybe its changing again, Dark Souls II is still #1 message board.... And thats an old school game
---
Only very little people get mad at gaming topics... Get mad because you did not earn a million dollars this month yet...
#36BurgerTime79Posted 7/9/2014 2:58:02 PM
Why are we giving this much time debating a BS article written for The Sun as if it's legitimate? Might as well take something from The Onion or Weekly World News seriously.
---
Classic Gaming Expo _ Sept 12-14 Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas
#37gotalamboPosted 7/9/2014 3:02:40 PM
BurgerTime79 posted...
Why are we giving this much time debating a BS article written for The Sun as if it's legitimate? Might as well take something from The Onion or Weekly World News seriously.

Because its not that easy. I personally got interested in it because i heard this heroin argument before, i think related to smoking. It said smokers are just as addicted as heroin users. The consequences of course are much worse but its the same "mechanic" in the brain. But i can ask you a easier question that I also was thinking about: Do you think having all games available to play, makes somebody happy?

Or would - lets say 3 or 4 great games, be the better situation?

For example back in the day people had maybe a Mario, Castlevania and Zelda game.

Now they have like 200 games from plus, 50 from sales, 100s of demos available....

Which gamer is better off, has an advantage? Profits more for his own life?
---
#38BurgerTime79Posted 7/9/2014 3:10:46 PM
It's an anti video game article with false or twisted information. Stop feeding into scare tactics.
---
Classic Gaming Expo _ Sept 12-14 Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas
#39TicapapelPosted 7/9/2014 3:26:04 PM(edited)
gotalambo posted...
Ticapapel posted...

This was changed by the industry a lot, wasnt it? Games are not frustrating anymore nowadays they are easy so even children can complete them. And the point of games being so easy is so that people will always need to buy more games to get excited again.

Its also very rare now that people replay their games, its mostly about consuming games now, not about mastering games. Because if you master a game you dont have time to buy more games so the industry does not want this.

And our gaming brains might have changed/evolved too... towards wanting more and more experiences from many games. Over having to struggle and grind in only one game.

Thats why everyone /most people now have huge backlogs its even too many games to play.

But maybe its changing again, Dark Souls II is still #1 message board.... And thats an old school game

I wouldn't say it has changed that much... if a game is easy, everyone bashes it and asks for the next one be harder. At least that's what happens here in Gamefaqs, as you pointed out. One example is Pokémon: every once in a while someone says the series became too easy and it should be harder.

Repetitive gaming is still a thing, though. I never really get it why people like multiplayer-only games, they feel so empty for me :/ Everyone is always asking for online and multiplayer (again, Pokémon is an example), but most times it doesn't bring anything new, it's just the same gameplay over and over. The only difference is that you're playing with different people - for me, it doesn't mean much in the overall experience.
#40AlexTheNextOnePosted 7/9/2014 3:16:44 PM
I'm not going to defend my choices when we're talking about playing video games vs. productive activities, like learning carpentry, or a language, or volunteering at a homeless shelter, or travelling around the world, etc., but at least video gaming, in my mind, is a better option than an equal amount of hours dumped into watching horrible television, or garbage blockbuster movies.