This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Audio glitches in PS1 Spyro Games?

#1glory of power metalPosted 7/20/2014 8:30:17 PM
I'm playing Spyro 3 off of a PS1 disc in my PS3 and all of the dialogue glitches out. Mouths move and nothing comes out but little syllables here and there. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it?
---
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#2MithrilMonarchPosted 7/20/2014 9:24:54 PM
Sure it isn't your disc?

I don't have my disc anymore since it's in crap shape, but the PSN version doesn't do this. The only audio glitch in the PSN version is that the audio on the title screen is delayed by about 3 seconds. And the final boss music is wrong.
---
The terms 'JRPG' and 'WRPG' are stupid.
#3glory of power metal(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 12:15:52 PM
Hm well that makes it even more confusing since afaik the PSN versions of games are 100% identical to the discs. It seems odd that an actual game element could be messed up due to a faulty disc. Maybe I'll just rebuy it on PSN.
---
#4MithrilMonarchPosted 7/21/2014 12:42:35 PM
glory of power metal posted...
Hm well that makes it even more confusing since afaik the PSN versions of games are 100% identical to the discs. It seems odd that an actual game element could be messed up due to a faulty disc. Maybe I'll just rebuy it on PSN.

It's because the PlayStation 3 relies on emulation to play the games, and emulation is not perfect. What probably happened is that the game loaded the wrong song while I was taking down the final boss, perhaps. While playing the games, you might notice minor slowdown too sometimes, which is yet another side effect of it.
---
#5glory of power metal(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 3:53:28 PM(edited)
Well regardless, if you say the PSN version works, there's no harm in trying.

EDIT: Yup, you were right, the PSN version works great. That's kinda strange though. My disc doesn't have the music glitch on the opening screen and the voices are ****ed up, but the PSN version does have the weird music delay and normal voices.
---
#6MithrilMonarchPosted 7/21/2014 4:08:41 PM
While I have a lot of PS1 games on disc, I just prefer playing those on my PS2 simply because it plays the games better, I find. Less glitches and whatnot.

The main appeal of buying PSone Classics (and even rebuying some) for me is the fact that I can play them on my PSP. It's so cool having such a great library of games in the palm of my hand wherever I go.
---
#7glory of power metal(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 6:30:50 PM
Well in my case, my PS2 has that disc read issue and doesn't recognize 75% of my PS1 discs, unfortunately.
---
#8awesomesauce13Posted 7/21/2014 7:05:47 PM
MithrilMonarch posted...

It's because the PlayStation 3 relies on emulation to play the games, and emulation is not perfect. What probably happened is that the game loaded the wrong song while I was taking down the final boss, perhaps. While playing the games, you might notice minor slowdown too sometimes, which is yet another side effect of it.

The wrong song playing for the final boss happens because that was a glitch in one of the versions of Spyro 3 (I think it was the NA greatest hits version or something like that), and that version is the one they used for PSN, so as a result every region gets that glitch on Spyro 3 from the PSN. The music is from the first homeworld, fyi
#9riddlebox89Posted 7/21/2014 7:25:47 PM
Well in my case, my PS2 has that disc read issue and doesn't recognize 75% of my PS1 discs, unfortunately.

Do you have one of the old fat PS2's or a slim? Cause for the fats, there was an easy fix I did on my old fat and my brothers when he had one that fixed disk read issues, you just take it apart, remove the plastic thing covering the disc tray and there's a little white gear, usually turning that a few clicks around fixed the issue. Not sure if the slim has the same thing cause I've never had any problems with mine that lead to me having to take it apart.

But you're probably better off just buying a cheap used PS2 off ebay or amazon since, like another guy said, the PS3 relies on emulation to run PS1 and 2 games, and emulation isn't exactly perfect.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#10MithrilMonarchPosted 7/21/2014 7:59:45 PM
awesomesauce13 posted...
MithrilMonarch posted...

The wrong song playing for the final boss happens because that was a glitch in one of the versions of Spyro 3 (I think it was the NA greatest hits version or something like that), and that version is the one they used for PSN, so as a result every region gets that glitch on Spyro 3 from the PSN. The music is from the first homeworld, fyi

Oh, really? That's strange. It's similar to how some versions of Crash 2 support analog stick movement, but we got stuck with the d-pad one. -.-
---