This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am buying a phat PS3 model 60GB with BC. How reliable?

#31Evil_SandwichPosted 7/22/2014 1:52:44 AM
garbage because YLOD
---
"I've licked 2 womens feet I dont have a foot fetish but I do get caught up in the moment." ~ Nasty_Nitro
#32hyperskate65Posted 7/22/2014 1:53:20 AM
If you already own a ps3 you should just buy a ps2.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#33GamerRafPosted 7/22/2014 2:02:59 AM
It'll YLOD eventually if not by the thermal paste but by the Motherboard being fried because it only dies when it gets hot all the time. I just went with the Slim which is more reliable.
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
Parappa VA scammer diss song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDU20PNNHY
#34ElDudorinoPosted 7/22/2014 3:45:28 AM
Johnny Blaque posted...
I think some of y'all are over estimating the fail rate of the fat ps3. You guys make it sound like its first/second generation 360 fail rates when that isn't true.

The YLOD is caused by a design flaw and it is rather inevitable, so I agree with the other posters. We used to see a lot of posters on this board say "Stop abusing your consoles - I've been taking good care of mine and it's running strong!" only to see their system die a few weeks later.

There was a census taken by Kotaku with like 30,000 PS3 owners back in I think March 2009 and at that time the overall failure rate across all models was like 14%. There wasn't sufficient data to narrow it down to the launch models only but logically the oldest models were more likely to have died and the models somebody just bought the week before would probably still be okay, so a good guess at that time may have been 20% or more for the launch models. 2009 and 2010 also brought a rash of reports of the YLOD, and they've still trickled in since then even as the older models become less common.

I don't know what the failure rate on them is now but if somebody showed me data indicating that it's above 50% I would not be surprised.
#35MarineMendozaPosted 7/22/2014 7:06:01 AM
I have a February 07 production sticker 60GB that crapped out on me November 2012. Had it repaired and ran it just enough to transfer all my save files and put it away. It's a collectible now because I don't want to chance it.
#36Axess68Posted 7/22/2014 7:26:55 AM
There are system failures with the Xbone and PS4 as well. I wonder what the numbers on those are. I was dead set on getting a "next gen" system until I saw the lack of games at launch, and then E3 where everything is set to come out in 2015.

So, waiting until 2015 or so to pick up a PS4 seems like a pretty good idea.

On Topic, yeah the TC could just go on Amazon and pick up a used PS2 Slim, Memory Cards, and the component cable for pretty cheap. That would probably be the best way to go, honestly. I have a couple PS2 Slims (1 for backup), and a PS2 fat as well. I love 'em. That was the best console of recent memory, imo.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.
#372nd_strikerPosted 7/22/2014 8:07:18 AM
mine lasted 7 years before ylod. if you dont have ps2 games just get a slim
---
"SPIT...IT...OUT!!!"
#38MadDewgPosted 7/22/2014 8:18:42 AM
I'm on 60GB PS3 #3 atm (my first 1 YLOD'd after 5 years of use, the 2nd one sony sent me YLOD in like, 15 minutes =/ The third 1 they sent me is still working, but I back up my data like after every play session to both a usb stick and ps plus). As mush as I enjoy the PS2 BC, if I can go back in time to like, 2009, I would tell myself to not buy a 60 GB and just get a slim to avoid future head aches, lol.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg NNID:xMadDoggx According to some GameFaqs posters, I am both a weaboo and an average western gamer at the same time. WTF =(
#39huyiPosted 7/22/2014 8:28:41 AM
Biocide69 posted...
I had one, lasted three years. Got the YLOD, sent it to a computer shop (owned by my wife's uncle) he was never able to get it working again.

pretty much this, i wasted 120 to get it repaired and it only lasted 2 weeks before it died again, it's not not worth the money to repair it over and over.
---
UK Female Gamer
AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD7750 8GB RAM 2TB HDD You don't have to buy it, it's optional m'kay.
#40Neoreloaded313Posted 7/22/2014 8:44:42 AM
My launch day PS3 still works fine and it got heavy use the entire time. My most reliable Sony console so far.