This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game design decisions you wish would disappear

#1StogieKilmerPosted 7/23/2014 2:03:39 AM
I'll start.

Boss fights with minions sprinkling in. I absolutely lose my sense of fun when I have to restart a boss fight because of a few minions.
---
PSN: CaptHanJovi
Cult of the Flash Bang (Alpha Protocol board), Cult of the Flare Gun (Far Cry 3 board)
#2BillysanPosted 7/23/2014 2:07:00 AM
Gameplay filler added just to make a game longer.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 3DS FC:4914-2847-6766
#3Dial_A_JokePosted 7/23/2014 2:12:47 AM
Having to mash a button to open a door/treasure chest.

Having long, tedious parts and having the main character acknowledge the fact that it's tedious. I mean if you know its tedious, why put it in the game?

Rag doll physics on dead enemies. It always looks so stupid when their arms and legs go in random directions and spas out for no apparent reason.
---
How's that for a slice of fried gold? Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD review:
http://goodnewsoke.wordpress.com/
#4StogieKilmer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 2:12:49 AM
Billysan posted...
Gameplay filler added just to make a game longer.

Like fetch quests?
---
Cult of the Flash Bang (Alpha Protocol board), Cult of the Flare Gun (Far Cry 3 board)
#5StogieKilmer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 2:25:46 AM
Dial_A_Joke posted...
Rag doll physics on dead enemies. It always looks so stupid when their arms and legs go in random directions and spas out for no apparent reason.

I've seen people rip games apart for NOT having ragdoll. I don't get it.
---
#6bigtiggie23Posted 7/23/2014 2:31:33 AM
Useless treasure chests in RPGs. Dragon Quest is the worst at this. 2/3 of the way through the game when the average piece of equipment costs at least 20,000 gold and there are chests that actually contain 50 gold. Or even better when later dungeons have leather shirts, the weakest armor in the game, in its chests. I know this is pretty specific but why do this?
---
GameFAQs, where most people act like know-it-alls. Until you actually expect them to know something, then they have no idea.
#7IceHuskyPosted 7/23/2014 3:23:02 AM
Open World games. I don't really care for them. I like a game that has a constant story being told.
---
Current Consoles: Xbox One, PS3, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo Gold X
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#8Arctic_Wolf510Posted 7/23/2014 3:35:23 AM
Having to look for a save point in RPGs.
#9AlltraPosted 7/23/2014 3:48:04 AM
Randomness. Anything that involves randomness or an RNG should be extremely limited.

Instead of relying on an RNG, I'd rather they incorporated actual game play. Want a specific item drop? Kill an enemy a specific way to get the item. Or do something like Suikoden or Wild Arms 3 do, have a skill with low accuracy that guarantees a drop or steal if you hit the enemy, but certain status effects (Like Sleep) raise the accuracy to 100%, or a low attack power that guarantees a drop if it delivers a killing blow.

Incorporating game play instead of relying on a time consuming mechanic for the sake of some players that get a sense of satisfaction from mindlessly grinding would make gaming so much better.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10II-Jaymo-IIPosted 7/23/2014 4:02:34 AM
Annoying screen effects that disrupt your vision when your close to death.