This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older gamers are feeling disconnected from gamers today?

#1IceHuskyPosted 8/4/2014 10:49:18 AM(edited)
So I am watching a youtube video where 3 or 4 twenty-something year old kids who work for an online magazine company in the video list their top 10 Best Games Ever and the earliest games on that list are from the SNES generation and forward, completely ignoring the NES, Atari, Colecovision, etc. When it suddenly dawned on me being an older gamer: no wonder why as I have posted on here on this Website's message boards and on the PS3 board for years, that as time goes on the more and more I feel disconnected with all of you modern - younger - gamers; which also includes 20-something year old game developers and game journalists. I feel that we have different ideas on how this industry should be, but it is the older gamers who are being completely left in the dark despite having the experience of knowing what works and doesn't work with games based on being part of the hobby/industry for so long.

Being 39, I cannot help but miss those days of when gamers of my generation could agree (or disagree) upon games released in the 1980s and 1990s as they came out, which would end with a "that's cool" reply; but now days games released during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation if you don't agree on a favorite game with the rest of the crowd, you are called a "troll" or "an idiot," or something to that nature. It sucks. Oh well, what can us older gamers who long for mature conversations, like when we were younger, do, especially since there is a huge disconnect with the teens and 20-somethings of today? I only wish there was a message board for gamers 35 and older where gamers can talk to each other in a mature manner since GameFAQs is not that message board for those kind of conversations.

I don't even want to get started on how gaming is used more for a political or social platform (e.g., gay character, strong female leads, etc.) now days compared to gaming back in the 80s and 90s, when it was just about entertainment.
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#2Death_BornPosted 8/4/2014 10:51:32 AM
I'm sure there's SOME forum that specializes in that kind of stuff. Probably not GameFAQs though, this site tends to skew towards the pre-teen to young adult demographic.

IMO, there's never such a thing as "only about entertainment". I don't think diversity in games should ever be forced in if it compromises their entertainment value, but there are plenty of ways of increasing diversity and audience of games that doesn't make them any less fun. The only reason games were the way they were is due to some marketers, not because diversity makes games bad.
#3Stanger5150Posted 8/4/2014 10:55:06 AM
I'm an older gamer, and I see what you mean. I see it as a benefit though. A benefit that many young gamers will never get. I have the same appreciation for 2600 and NES games as I always have, and I still play them. I also play just as many modern games as any younger gamer, so I have many more games to choose from than most gamers do.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#4IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 11:07:18 AM(edited)
Stanger5150 posted...
I'm an older gamer, and I see what you mean. I see it as a benefit though. A benefit that many young gamers will never get. I have the same appreciation for 2600 and NES games as I always have, and I still play them. I also play just as many modern games as any younger gamer, so I have many more games to choose from than most gamers do.

HA....good point. Being old enough to have an appreciation for the older consoles is so much better than limiting yourself to just the newer stuff like so many of the younger gamers do today; then again with the popularity of retro gaming youtube channels and the prices on Ebay for retro gaming goods, I do believe retro gaming is making a come back; which says a lot about the state the gaming industry is in today.

Also, believe it or not, this website's message board didn't used to be as bad as it is today. People were somewhat still amicable towards each other, which changed around the PS2/Xbox generation.
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#5SmoshCuchPosted 8/4/2014 11:09:40 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with age.

You're comparing a conversation among friends to talking with anonymous strangers who can say anything they want with no real consequences. Of course you'll have a better conversation with your friends. I'm sure teens & twenty-somethings have better, more mature conversations with their friends than they have on message boards also.

And would you actually put anything from the Atari era in your top ten? I'm the same age as you, and I certainly wouldn't. That doesn't necessarily have to do with age either. I doubt I'd put anything pre-PS1 in my top ten, personally.
#6MaouSadoPosted 8/4/2014 11:10:19 AM
Like I did with anime, I disconnected MYSELF.

Because holy hell. What the **** happened to people.
#7Dark_EpathyPosted 8/4/2014 11:25:48 AM(edited)
Well, yeah. I'm in my early twenties and have never touched a single Atari game in my life. Actually, that may not be true--I have this old controller with some built-in games that are probably from the Atari or other consoles of its ilk. There's Pitfall on there, Frogger, Space Invaders, etc. Apart from those, the oldest thing I believe I've played is Kung Fu on the NES, and that was only very briefly. The N64 was really my first true console that I owned and used to play games.

That said, I've never felt much connection with any other fans of video games, unless we appreciated and enjoyed the same genres. The selection of games available is so diverse that it's obvious people would have different ideas and expectations for the industry. Personally, I'm all for the rising trend of cinematic games. It doesn't negate the more traditional titles that are still on the market, and it continually pushes the storytelling capabilities of the medium. Of course, not everyone shares that opinion.

I mean, whatever. Times change. If people are rude or combative, that probably has to do with much more than just their age, though. Keep in mind that a lot of people on this site and on the Internet in general are antisocial to some degree. It starts from there and gets worse.
---
"No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for." -- Joel, The Last of Us
#8Ryan SiPosted 8/4/2014 11:45:21 AM
Please dude, the only difference now is that there is an easy way for anyone to express themselves. Back then, there was no internet.

I'm 27, my first system was an NES. Have I ever had any desire to go back and play games from the 1970s/early 1980s...no.

You're just getting older. You're right in that there is a disconnect, but it's not a negative one put on younger gamers. It simply is what it is. Life, times change.
#9AlphaOmegaSidPosted 8/4/2014 11:46:31 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10a_riot04Posted 8/4/2014 12:08:57 PM
Don't think about it too much pops. Having someone to talk about your hobbies is nice and all. But at the end of the day, you have your hobbies to enjoy it. Try CGR forums if you're looking for fellow retro gaming enthusiasts.