This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older gamers are feeling disconnected from gamers today?

#101Tsukasa1891Posted 8/5/2014 6:10:24 AM
BOZK posted...
dun be haturz. call of duty is best game ever existed

My bowels call me to take a duty just about every day, doesn't mean I should enjoy it.
---
Topic still active from 2003.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/564341-real-bout-fatal-fury-2/10970719
#102MR_SorenPosted 8/5/2014 6:28:47 AM(edited)
Disconnect? I suppose. I don't care at all about most of the stuff that is being hyped up nowdays. Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, etc. Most of the games I really enjoy are less known and/or unappreciated by most people.

I also feel like the types of games I like are growing more scarce, and it is sometimes frustrating to see people ridiculing or ignoring a game I really enjoyed because it means that game is likely doing poorly and developers may avoid making similar titles in the future.

Still, there are some semi-mainstream games I really appreciate like Dark Souls and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Likewise, some lesser known games that I enjoyed were financially successful such as Catherine, Deathsmiles, and Persona 4 Arena.

Ultimately, I don't mind a disconnect as long as there are still games that I enjoy. I don't need to worry about what everybody else likes.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#103FuzzyJelloPosted 8/5/2014 6:33:10 AM
Unbridled9 posted...
Not to sound snarky, but why are you surprised?

Seriously.

Movies have been out for a long time, yet I feel certain that a lot of people who watch, possibly even adore, movies have never seen things like King Kong or Casablanca. It's not just because of a 'disconnect' either, but the ever-increasing library of games. If you are a new gamer and decided to play EVERY game that was an 8 or higher in score ever, it would probably be several years before you got to the PS2 or Wii era's, and that's a pretty heavy restriction. Lowering it to a 6-7 would just make it near-impossible to 'fully' catch up.

Oh, absolutely. There's just not a enough time and at this point tracking downing all the interesting games over 30 years of machines takes a good deal of research.

cheezeknight posted...
Not trying to derail this topic, but some of the posters in this topic have bigger issues than disconnect with gamers...
The world is changing for the better. Lack of acceptance makes you seem ignorant. Open your minds. This is not 1950.

And at the same time, there are certainly disciplines from the 50's that a lot of us could stand to learn, particularly, unsurprisingly enough, many people who are a part of the gamer set. But that's neither here nor there.
#104Froyo101Posted 8/5/2014 7:09:01 AM
Questionmarktarius posted...
The only real advantage to being an "old gamer" is apparently the ability to play early PS1 games without chronic eyebleeding.

I'm 14 and I still play psone games. Could the graphics be better? Yeah. But it's the gameplay that matters.
---
If a game is truly fun, you should be able to enjoy it even if it doesn't have stat tracking, achievements, good graphics, or a ranking system.
#105Tsukasa1891Posted 8/5/2014 7:18:51 AM
Axess68 posted...
Well, while I wouldn't go that far, I would have to agree with you in spirit. There is a big difference from the world I was raised in during the 1970's and the world of today. Over the years, schools and other state agencies have learned that kids are commodities and pretty much walking dollar signs.

They have taught the kids that their parents are the enemies and should be reported to the police should they even look at them wrong. I have seen this time and time again. Lots of kids in my little town turned on their parents and ended up in "placement". It happened alot when my daughter was in middle school and it had been happening before. The parent would set rules, the kids were taught parents are bad enemies, and the state would put the kid in "placement" (Foster Care) and collect a big paycheck. Look it up if you think I'm lying. In 2008, then President Bush signed into law that the state agencies who take children from their homes get a $300,000 reward for their office. So, now it's a big business. Research what I say, fact check my word, and you will find I'm telling the truth. Google : "Child Abuse Industry" and you will find many horror stories from parents as well as a full explanation of the industry and how it profits.

When I was growing up, I was taught to respect my elders. Kids these days are being taught that Elders are obstacles in their way.

I'm looking at that now, quite a long read ahead. But some of the stories of people never getting their kids back reminds me of the same thing my mom went through when her kids got taken away. Though in this case it was justifiable for my brothers to be taken away. My mom and her husband were both addicted to drugs and would spend all their money they could on it. They realized what they were doing was wrong and turned them self in. I went to live with my dad, while my brothers went to foster homes. They were told that if they get clean they would get their kids back since they turned them selfs in, of course that was a lie and every time there were supposed to get them back, there was always some BS excuse.
---
#106Axess68Posted 8/5/2014 7:46:41 AM
Tsukasa1891, I'm sorry to hear that. Some people get hooked on drugs or booze and everyone around them pays the price for it along with themselves. Tiffany, the teen singer from the 80's, had a war with her mother since her mother was an alcoholic and drank away Tiffany's money because she had control of it with her being a minor. Macauley Kulkin's dad was a nutcase and controlled his career which is why macauley became hooked on drugs and getting in trouble.

But, even sadder, the parents in a lot of those stories you will see on that search were not drug addicts, child abusers, etc. They just got swept up in a new cottage industry that destroys families.

To the person who posted about a "difference of opinion": I can see that, yes. But, I don't know how anyone can get on board with getting fleeced and ripped off by game companies these days. A lot of people won't. Look at the fiasco that surrounded Sim City 4. People didn't accept EA's monkeying with something they have been fans of for years. So, not everyone accepts what publishing corps do with their chosen franchise.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.
#107TerotrousPosted 8/5/2014 8:09:06 AM
IceHusky posted...
the earliest games on that list are from the SNES generation and forward, completely ignoring the NES, Atari, Colecovision, etc.

NES still generally has fairly good representation on GF, at least on any Nintendo-focused boards. It is true that the 1st and 2nd gens have basically vanished from gaming. I think a lot of this has to do with the transition in game progression mechanics from the 2nd to 3rd gen. Before the NES, high scores were everything, then it changed so that completing the game's story was the focus. To modern gamers those early games seem pointless because score has ceased to be a relevant mechanic in most modern games (though some mobile games are bringing it back). It also seems like the communities for the 1st and 2nd generation systems just haven't been as active at keeping their scene alive.

Being 39, I cannot help but miss those days of when gamers of my generation could agree (or disagree) upon games released in the 1980s and 1990s as they came out, which would end with a "that's cool" reply; but now days games released during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation if you don't agree on a favorite game with the rest of the crowd, you are called a "troll" or "an idiot," or something to that nature.

You must have somehow missed the SNES vs Genesis war. You can still get called an idiot for your opinion on SNES vs Genesis even now.

IceHusky posted...
By the way, I've tried many times quitting this site the past few years and I always return. Probably since there is no other gaming board on the internet that has as much traffic as GameFAQs does.

Gamefaqs is like the Wal-Mart of gaming sites. Everyone hates the way they run the company but the content and price keeps you coming back.

Aya Brea posted...
Another thing is being spoilt for choice now. There are more games coming out than say the 90s. And being financially (relatively) well off I could buy any and all games I want. Having so many choices makes it hard fore to choose which to play and I feel less patient with them. When I get slightly bored of a game I just switch over to the next one. In the old days I would have stuck it out.

This is why I now have 1000 unbeaten games lol.

On the plus side even if gaming collapses upon itself I'm set for a long time.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#108TerotrousPosted 8/5/2014 8:09:13 AM
FuzzyJello posted...
Played a few rounds of Balloon Fight and Rampart (Thank you Tero for point that one out) with a friend for the first time with a friend about a month ago and it was wonderful. Balloon Fight released eight years before I was born; Rampart fewer years before. I suspect multiple SNES game would make my personal top 10, should I ever really consider such a list, and every candidate was at least a decade old when I first played it.

It's funny how you just assume I'll be here. I do think there are a number of old games that have good or interesting game mechanics that have never really been followed up upon for whatever reason. Rampart is definitely one of those games, it's one of very few Strategy / Puzzle hybrids ever released. I would also definitely count games like Bubble Bobble, Aerobiz, Biker Mice From Mars, Shadowrun, and Chiki Chiki Boys in that same category. These tend to be the games I'm must excited to discover through the GAB Project, they prove that you can always still learn new things about gaming.

The Wii was the end of an era in so many ways.

It really was. I doubt we'll ever see a system with as much variety as the Wii again. They're becoming very fragmented now, and all of the innovative games are disappearing. I wonder if we'll ever see any more games like Elebits / Kororinpa / De Blob / Shaun White Road Trip / Dawn of Discovery / Excitebots / Afrika / Half-Minute Hero / Retro Game Challenge / etc again.

suprsolider posted...
The PS3/360/Wii generation wasn't good, not by a long shot. Compared to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube days it's night and day. Greed ruined that this generation with DLC, ondisc DLC, games being cut apart to be sold more later...

It was still a good generation. While it's true that there are some games that were basically ruined by those practices, it's only a very small percentage of all games released between the 5 systems of that era. We may not have had a PS2 this generation, but instead we had 5 different systems that all offer some good things, and collectively there's probably about as much as there was last gen if not a little more.

I do worry about the future, though. It's fairly clear that there simply isn't a system this gen that's positioned where the Wii was, and as such a lot of the sorts of games that the Wii received have simply vanished. I find that highly regrettable, because there's a lot of good games from last generation that could use sequels and they probably won't ever get them.

Chosen_one_41 posted...
Reading this topic has made me completely give up in trying to relate to gamers. I can't relate to any gamers it seems. I like all generations, I like all genres. I enjoy popular games, I enjoy widely hated games. I've never had an issue with DLC, microtransactions, pre-order or whatever. I enjoy playing around in games for fun and I also enjoy punishing difficulty. I enjoy immersive single player experiences and I enjoy multiplayer gaming. I just don't fit into any one category of gamer.

This somewhat describes me as well, though modern gaming is making me increasingly pessimistic. The market just doesn't seem to be moving in a good direction now that only the biggest of blockbusters can make a profit on dedicated gaming machines. We've pushed creativity towards the fringes of gaming, which is dangerous for the long-term growth of the industry. There has to be some kind of balance, like movies have managed to find.
---
#109TerotrousPosted 8/5/2014 8:12:05 AM
suprsolider posted...
Greed has ruined Hollywood, music, comics and now is ruining gaming as well.

I actually think Hollywood is in a much better state than gaming. I'm not exactly sure how it happens, but Hollywood seems much better at greenlighting a variety of projects than game publishers. You have your big pictures like The Hobbit and Guardians of the Galaxy, but there's also much smaller and more innovative stuff like Boyhood, the Grand Budapest Hotel, and 12 Years a Slave releasing constantly. If gaming could manage to strike that same balance I think I'd be very happy with it.

FuzzyJello posted...
Oh, absolutely. There's just not a enough time and at this point tracking downing all the interesting games over 30 years of machines takes a good deal of research

Actually, I was thinking about this last night when I first saw this topic. I think there would be a great deal of merit in making a short list of games from each system that still offer something interesting even to modern audiences. It would require a very objective and discerning eye, because you wouldn't want to fill it up with games that were good for their time but have been significantly bettered since then, but if properly constructed I think it would be very helpful. Part of why I've had difficulty getting in to something like 2600 is because such a list doesn't exist. Most of the 2600 games that come quickly to mind are really dated compared to their modern counterparts (Pitfall is a great example), but I have no doubt that there are some pretty unique games there.
---
#110Tsukasa1891Posted 8/5/2014 9:04:57 AM
Axess68 posted...
Tsukasa1891, I'm sorry to hear that. Some people get hooked on drugs or booze and everyone around them pays the price for it along with themselves. Tiffany, the teen singer from the 80's, had a war with her mother since her mother was an alcoholic and drank away Tiffany's money because she had control of it with her being a minor. Macauley Kulkin's dad was a nutcase and controlled his career which is why macauley became hooked on drugs and getting in trouble.

But, even sadder, the parents in a lot of those stories you will see on that search were not drug addicts, child abusers, etc. They just got swept up in a new cottage industry that destroys families.

To the person who posted about a "difference of opinion": I can see that, yes. But, I don't know how anyone can get on board with getting fleeced and ripped off by game companies these days. A lot of people won't. Look at the fiasco that surrounded Sim City 4. People didn't accept EA's monkeying with something they have been fans of for years. So, not everyone accepts what publishing corps do with their chosen franchise.

Yeah it sucked, but that was 20 years ago, so we're all grown up now and gotten over it. It's not hard to believe people getting their kids taken away when they had no reason to. Up to about 5 years ago they were watching my sister like vultures just waiting for any excuse to take her kids away all because they got head lice a couple times. Fortunately it never happened though.
---