This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older gamers are feeling disconnected from gamers today?

#121shawnmckPosted 8/5/2014 1:15:44 PM
I'm 44 myself, and I get what you are saying TC...
Back then gamers were encouraged to have diverse tastes, but today you are ridiculed for liking or not liking what is popular.
But I think I know where it stems from, which is from society as a whole...people are expected to act & behave like sheep, and not think for themselves anymore.
There are simply way too many entitled gamers now that act like their opinions are somehow fact, and if you don't agree with them then you are somehow the problem.
Its childish, arrogant, and damn annoying.
But its a form of entitlement that is fostered by certain aspects of society.
#122TerotrousPosted 8/5/2014 1:28:13 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
It'd be a place where different age groups could actually contribute their being different age groups, since part of it is the "nostalgia test" of the "Give a new player a game you loved ten, fifteen years ago and if they love it there's actually something to it" variety. Of course that is almost certainly the biggest mine in the whole thing, but its a conversation.

I have already conducted some of these experiments with my nephews. Bomberman is just as addictive as its ever been. Biker Mice From Mars was also something that they were instantly captivated by even though it's too hard for them right now. Interestingly, SMB1 still really seems to hold their interest, despite ostensibly being super dated. I think we've underrated SMB1 a bit over the years, despite its simplicity it's still very tightly designed.

I can't really test them out on RPGs and Strategy games yet because they're too young to properly understand them, they're just barely starting out on Pokemon, though the youngest enjoys Tales of Graces F.

I have never played Gauntlet or Gradius in any form yet, I have Life Force on the Virtual Console and that seems to be in a very similar vein, both being Konami. With Gauntlet I have no clue where to start!

Gauntlet Dark Legacy is probably the best introduction to Gauntlet. As for Gradius, the best introduction to Gradius is actually probably Life Force. I would recommend Gradius 5, but Gradius 5 is so difficult that if you don't know what you're doing you won't get far, and Life Force has totally identical game mechanics to Gradius, it's just somewhat better than the early Gradius games. There are collections of Gradius, Life Force, and the third sister series Parodius on PSP, and they're ported quite well.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#123IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 1:56:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#124IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 1:59:21 PM
Axess68 posted...
FuzzyJello and Terotrous, I know some games that people these days would probably like :

SNES:
Super Castlevania IV (The Chandeleir sequences are nice platforming)
Actraiser 1
Soulblazer
Legend of Dragoon
Gradius and/or Raiden (Shmups)

Genesis:
Gauntlet IV (the only one with Dragons!)
...and some others that were included in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. A lot of people bought the collection.

They REALLY need to do a SNES one, but Nintendo would rather nickel and dime people on their virtual console marketplace.

It's no surprise that a game series like Fallout found its way into the PS3/360 gen. The older games hold up well.

(Sorry I couldn't come up with a bigger list, but I'm having a senior moment! ;-) )

It just sucks that SNES games are so expensive. I really want that Soul Blazer cart, but I don't want to pay 60+ dollars for it even though it is a kick ass game. Ironically, I am about ready to drop $160 on a Mega Man X3 cart since I own the first two already and want to complete the set. I just wish SNES games were cheaper.

Fortunately, I have most of the classics on the SNES and have pretty much moved onto my Sega Genesis collection since there are a few more classic titles I would like to get that I haven't bought yet and are still pretty cheap. Although I am always willing to add more SNES games if I run into them and they are cheap and I am interested in adding them into my collection. :P
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
RIP Dad: 1943 - 2004
#125Axess68Posted 8/5/2014 2:30:00 PM
Terotrous: Yeah, I DID mean Illusion of Gaia. Like I said, senior moment. :-/ As far as Gauntlet Dark Legacy goes, it doesn't really seem like a Gauntlet game to me. Certainly it had some of the elements, but not really the look. Something with the same layout, but with better than 8 or 16 bit visuals would probably be a happy medium. Like when they redid some of the Ultima games some years back and gave them better sprites, etc.

IceHusky, I had a blast with Soulblazer. Rebuilding the town through completing the dungeons is something that was pretty new at that time and very innovative, at least to me. It made the game more than just creature killing and loot grabbing.

I'm pretty disillusioned with the direction Nintendo has gone. They used to be THE place for really cool games that were diverse enough to appeal to all types. Now, they focus on (and eternally milk) their own little cutesy franchises ad nauseum. How many Marios do we need? Zeldas? And on and on. It got tiresome with the first Wii. Nintendo, IMO, has their heads so far up their posteriors these days, that they no longer see neither reality nor daylight.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.
#126TerotrousPosted 8/5/2014 4:56:12 PM
Axess68 posted...
Terotrous: Yeah, I DID mean Illusion of Gaia. Like I said, senior moment. :-/ As far as Gauntlet Dark Legacy goes, it doesn't really seem like a Gauntlet game to me. Certainly it had some of the elements, but not really the look. Something with the same layout, but with better than 8 or 16 bit visuals would probably be a happy medium. Like when they redid some of the Ultima games some years back and gave them better sprites, etc.

The new Gauntlet basically seems to be this.

IceHusky, I had a blast with Soulblazer. Rebuilding the town through completing the dungeons is something that was pretty new at that time and very innovative, at least to me. It made the game more than just creature killing and loot grabbing.

It's decent for what it is, and most SNES games have a kind of refreshing simplicity to them, but Terranigma really does the same concept much better.

I'm pretty disillusioned with the direction Nintendo has gone. They used to be THE place for really cool games that were diverse enough to appeal to all types. Now, they focus on (and eternally milk) their own little cutesy franchises ad nauseum. How many Marios do we need? Zeldas? And on and on. It got tiresome with the first Wii. Nintendo, IMO, has their heads so far up their posteriors these days, that they no longer see neither reality nor daylight.

Honestly this has only been true for the last few years or so. On Wii, Nintendo tried a lot of new things. Obviously the Wii itself was one, its controller was something no one had ever seen before, and there had never been a game like Wii Sports. Beyond this, though, we also saw new entries in franchises that had either been gone for a really long time, or complete reinventions of existing properties, like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment 2, Excitebots, and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The problem is clearly that when Nintendo has their back to the wall, their answer is always "Mario Mario Mario", and that's not what people want from them. Like you said, people go to Nintendo to get that variety that you don't get from the rest of the industry. Luckily it seems like they're starting to realize this, or maybe they just got all that Mario out of their system already, because their offerings for next year seem a lot more varied.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#127IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 6:28:20 PM
Axess68 posted...

Oh yeah, I've played Soul Blazer back in the day and recently through emu, in fact. So I am well aware what the game is about and why I want it for my collection. It's a wonderful...and I mean WONDERFUL...game. :D

i hear you about Nintendo. I really like the Zelda games, but other than that, there is no other IP that really interests me that Nintendo produces. I am only half-hearted interested in the Mario games, as well as the Metroid games. I would buy the new Nintendo consoles, as I haven't really been interested in them and usually sell them off, but I cannot justify owning another console if I am only buying them for the occasional Zelda game or other 1st Party title that come out. Maybe I will buy a Wii U someday, but I am not really in a hurry for it. I don't really care for the gamepad, especially when compared to their past controllers like the NES or SNES controller; my last two favorite Nintendo controllers.
---
#128FrugonePosted 8/5/2014 8:13:38 PM
Are the games 60 FPS and 1080p? if not I'm not buying.
#129Axess68Posted 8/5/2014 9:02:25 PM
Frugone posted...

Then, avoid the Xbone and the PS4 because very, very few games on those systems can do that. Most likely, we won't see 1080p/60fps on the new systems on a regular basis until at least the last third of their lives - if at all.
---
Axess2084 on PSN and Xbox Live. Gaming for almost 40 years now.
#130IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:09:47 PM
Axess68 posted...
Frugone posted...

Then, avoid the Xbone and the PS4 because very, very few games on those systems can do that. Most likely, we won't see 1080p/60fps on the new systems on a regular basis until at least the last third of their lives - if at all.

HA! He's probably the same person who believes that Wii U isn't a next-gen console because of OMGZ...GRRAPHICS!!!

Man, these young kids today and their graphics. That's what was so great growing up with games from the Atari 2600 and on up, we are able to appreciate games even with lower end graphics. Heck...I even have a soft spot for Sega CD FMV graphics, graininess and all. :D
---