This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older gamers are feeling disconnected from gamers today?

#21IceHusky(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:30:10 PM(edited)
SmoshCuch posted...
I like talking about video games, but getting attacked all of the time by all of the immature users on this site is very disheartening, including in this very own thread.

Where in this thread has anyone attacked you?

The obvious troll posted after you, and everyone in this thread has been perfectly polite. Heck, at least half have agreed with you, and those that disagreed just disagreed about why. I honestly don't see any attacks in this thread.

Please dude, the only difference now is that there is an easy way for anyone to express themselves. Back then, there was no internet.

I'm 27, my first system was an NES. Have I ever had any desire to go back and play games from the 1970s/early 1980s...no.

You're just getting older. You're right in that there is a disconnect, but it's not a negative one put on younger gamers. It simply is what it is. Life, times change.

I was speaking regarding this. There is much better ways to convey your thoughts than having to sound rude. He might not have been attacking or insulting, per se, but he sure did not come across as replying with a friendly tone either.
---
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
#22QuestionmarktariusPosted 8/4/2014 1:34:34 PM
The only real advantage to being an "old gamer" is apparently the ability to play early PS1 games without chronic eyebleeding.
#23SmoshCuchPosted 8/4/2014 1:47:10 PM(edited)
Please dude, the only difference now is that there is an easy way for anyone to express themselves. Back then, there was no internet.

I know, I made the same point in my first post.

It didn't even occur to me that those posts would be considered rude. Really, all he did was disagree. And let's face it, we are getting older. I'm the same age as you, and I didn't take any offense to that. Mind you, I'm not saying this place can't be a hive of scum & villainy at times. But really, this thread isn't one of those times, IMO.

EDIT: See? The guy above me is so much worse than the one you quoted. LOL. (Way to go GameFAQs, just when I say this thread hasn't started sucking yet, you prove me wrong.)
#24SneakiestNegPosted 8/4/2014 1:47:30 PM
One thing I like about Kotaku is that the community is older. People talk about PS1 jrpgs all the time.
#25SunbladeX-1Posted 8/4/2014 1:48:10 PM
Well Ice Husky, I'm 18 and I still play any kind of game regardless when it came out. I actually enjoy games from both new and old generation.
#26methroomfacePosted 8/4/2014 2:19:05 PM
I find myself really liking Backloggery for communicating with people who have similar game interests. It doesn't have the message board structure, or near the traffic that GameFAQs has, but I have had plenty of pleasant conversations there. It's relatively easy to find people who share interests based on their library / what they are currently playing.
---
http://backloggery.com/mushroomface
#27Chosen_one_41Posted 8/4/2014 2:25:20 PM
I'm a young gamer and I feel disconnected from current gamers. Can't we all just play what we like and not complain about every single little thing. The worst has to be people who complain that the industry makes games outside of their favorite genres. There just seems to be a weird attitude with current gamers where they think "the industry should cater to me and me only". Another thing I don't get is how I keep seeing people tell other people to "grow up" out of there current gaming habits. Like, for example, they would see being a fan of linear FPSs is immature to them as opposed to just a preference that another gamer would have.
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#28SamirOGPosted 8/4/2014 2:45:20 PM
IceHusky posted...
So I am watching a youtube video where 3 or 4 twenty-something year old kids who work for an online magazine company in the video list their top 10 Best Games Ever and the earliest games on that list are from the SNES generation and forward, completely ignoring the NES, Atari, Colecovision, etc. When it suddenly dawned on me being an older gamer: no wonder why as I have posted on here on this Website's message boards and on the PS3 board for years, that as time goes on the more and more I feel disconnected with all of you modern - younger - gamers; which also includes 20-something year old game developers and game journalists. I feel that we have different ideas on how this industry should be, but it is the older gamers who are being completely left in the dark despite having the experience of knowing what works and doesn't work with games based on being part of the hobby/industry for so long.

Being 39, I cannot help but miss those days of when gamers of my generation could agree (or disagree) upon games released in the 1980s and 1990s as they came out, which would end with a "that's cool" reply; but now days games released during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation if you don't agree on a favorite game with the rest of the crowd, you are called a "troll" or "an idiot," or something to that nature. It sucks. Oh well, what can us older gamers who long for mature conversations, like when we were younger, do, especially since there is a huge disconnect with the teens and 20-somethings of today? I only wish there was a message board for gamers 35 and older where gamers can talk to each other in a mature manner since GameFAQs is not that message board for those kind of conversations.

I don't even want to get started on how gaming is used more for a political or social platform (e.g., gay character, strong female leads, etc.) now days compared to gaming back in the 80s and 90s, when it was just about entertainment.

No, the difference is:

Friends & internet. If you had internet back then and would discuss, people sure would call you weird if you didnt agree that Pong deserved GOTY 1974
#29Battleship_GrayPosted 8/4/2014 3:05:05 PM
I feel like a lot of younger gamers (not all) online complain a an awful lot, don't recognizes how far gaming has come had have a deep-seated selfish steak.
---
Recent-ish art: http://i.imgur.com/XSWsE29.png http://i.imgur.com/lf3QxZs.png http://i.imgur.com/YVXw5u5.png
#30krucifixhorrorPosted 8/4/2014 3:45:21 PM
I just dont like the direction games are going in. Older games were complete with the ability to unlock things with gameplay. Now its about nickel-and-diming people for the same things.