This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Older gamers are feeling disconnected from gamers today?

#31Furikuri_flclPosted 8/4/2014 3:57:59 PM
I'm an antisocial wad, so I feel disconnected from everyone. Even people that share what I like, I can't stand any of them.
---
Latest game(s) crossed off my backlog: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.
Collection completion rate: 60.9%.
#32WhyitEarpPosted 8/4/2014 4:11:31 PM
As an older gamer I do feel a disconnect. Mainly because I don't like the direction games are headed
#33Fou LuPosted 8/4/2014 4:27:06 PM
No, you're just one of those people that fall victim to nostalgia. I'm in my 30s, and I will not play older games anymore because they're boring. I played them when I was a kid, they're worn out now and I enjoy the hell out of our current generation of games. All my favorite games come from the PS2 onwards generation of games.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#34Ryuji YamazakiPosted 8/4/2014 4:30:05 PM
I'm 34, and like a lot of you around my age you grew up in an era where games were considered "nerdy". You either got along well with other gamers or were ostracized by people who just didn't understand. On one hand, I'm happy that gaming is a lot more accepted these days, but on the other I hate how what's most popular now is pretty uninspired and uncreative (in my opinion, anyway).

I work at a place where young people come and go pretty frequently (pizza delivery). Like a lot of young people now, they self-identify as "gamers", but any conversation about games inevitably plays out like this:

Person: "Aw, dude. you're into games? I LOVE Call of Duty and Halo man! What are you into?"

Me: "I really like fighting games, Resident Evil, Metal Gear... stuff like that."

Person: *blank stare*
#35RPG maniac87Posted 8/4/2014 4:33:22 PM
I wouldn't confuse people not putting early gen games in their top 10 with not having played/grown up with them.
---
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. -Anais Nin
#36therickmu25Posted 8/4/2014 4:42:45 PM
Ryan Si posted...
Please dude, the only difference now is that there is an easy way for anyone to express themselves. Back then, there was no internet.

I'm 27, my first system was an NES. Have I ever had any desire to go back and play games from the 1970s/early 1980s...no.

You're just getting older. You're right in that there is a disconnect, but it's not a negative one put on younger gamers. It simply is what it is. Life, times change.

I'm 27 too
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#37Aya BreaPosted 8/4/2014 4:46:53 PM
39 is hot!

I started with the NES but it's not until the 16 bit gen that I discovered my true calling in RPGs. I have tried playing many 8 bit games during the "rom era" but I just feel like they're too antiquated hard to get into. Unfortunately I just don't love that era very much, despite grown up on that era. I'm ok with 16 bit era (mostly through roms or other releases as I don't own any 16 bit physical consoles anymore) but for physical collection purposes I start from the 32 bit era. The Saturn is the oldest console I own.

My other half tease me for playing "pixelated retro games" and I respond with "the classics never get old". Sometimes I deliberately put on the most pixelated game on my 55' LED TV and watch the reaction lol. (BTW, Grandia PS1 looks like puke on modern TVs).

I did enjoy Gamefaqs when it first started, when it was updated twice a week and had a red logo and white background. I remember when forums came out (it was in "beta" for like 3 years) and signed up for it on the first week. Remember when they used to have a chatroom here? And you'd be rubbing shoulders with Kao Megura and CJayC. (But then I heard it turned into cyber sex room and they had to shut it down). Those were the good times. People just talked about games they liked.
---
Pokemon Y 0619 4338 9000 IGN Henri Miidonna Growlithe Ninetales Larvesta
My RPG blog http://bttgrind.blogspot.com.au
#38ZebuFrenzyPosted 8/4/2014 4:53:22 PM
I can understand how you feel. I'm an old-school gamer myself, starting my gaming hobby in the late 80's. I remember a bit of the Master System as well, playing Dead Angle with my cousin.

It used to be about the entertainment of a game; nowadays, it can be as fun as can be, but too many younger gamers will complain if it doesn't look good enough. Most of the time, today's gaming industry is concentrating on one particular genre: first-person shooters. I won't say they're terrible, but they are all too common. What ever happened to point-and-click titles like Shadowgate and Maniac Mansion? Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe the general public didn't find them to be too entertaining, maybe game designers claimed they weren't popular enough. Either way, it stinks.
#39VycoulPosted 8/4/2014 4:55:58 PM
IceHusky posted...
Being 39, I cannot help but miss those days of when gamers of my generation could agree (or disagree) upon games released in the 1980s and 1990s as they came out, which would end with a "that's cool" reply; but now days games released during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation if you don't agree on a favorite game with the rest of the crowd, you are called a "troll" or "an idiot," or something to that nature. It sucks.

Do you ever hear this happen in real life face to face conversations? I never have.
The internet brings out the jerk in everyone. You would have seen the exact same things being said in the 80's on internet forums if they had been around.
---
More addictive than cocaine laced potato chips:
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/randomitem.php?p=1
#40VellBellPosted 8/4/2014 5:09:13 PM
I'm a gamer in my 30's too. I sort of feel a disconnect but that's more an aversion to random Internet stupidity. I haven't found an online forum (though that would be nice!), but I do get to discuss games with the people I know. It also helps that I have a gaming sibling who loves to discuss games and trends, current or past.
---
I play what I want.