This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After playing the Dreamcast recently, the PS3 and 360 seems so cold and shallow

#31HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 10:18:22 AM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
SlyCooper23 posted...
I still firmly believe if the Dreamcast was released a few years earlier, it would've absolutely dominated. Sega not having a lot of funds + the PS2 absolutely killed it.

An extremely unrealistic scenario though.

PS2 destroyed the Dreamcast *mostly* because the PS2 played DVDs.
---
PSN: RutgersStudent XBL: Jessica Jung xo
Currently Own: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Dreamcast
#32Mad_CauliflowerPosted 8/6/2014 10:23:09 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
SlyCooper23 posted...
I still firmly believe if the Dreamcast was released a few years earlier, it would've absolutely dominated. Sega not having a lot of funds + the PS2 absolutely killed it.

Lack of studio support, actually. DVDs helped the PS2, but the PS2 would've killed the Dreamcast if it was cartridge based. It had so much hype and desire for it, that it won before it was released.
---
Those mostly foul, cry foul the most
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out
#33HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 11:22:11 AM
I thought it had a lot of support, especially from Capcom. Not only that, but third-party classics like Tony Hawk, 2k Sports, SNK, etc
---
PSN: RutgersStudent XBL: Jessica Jung xo
Currently Own: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Dreamcast
#34importvitaPosted 8/6/2014 12:08:29 PM
If you take into account the entire Dremcast library, I would argue that it has an overall better lineup than the PS3/360. Now obviously we live in the FPS era and those of you who would just DIE without your Far Cry, Battlefield, COD, etc. will disagree with me. However, the Dreamcast had an excellent lineup 2 years into existence. At this rate it might take the PS4/Xbone 4 years to catch up to the quality that the Dreamcast had in 2 years.
---
I was modded for posting a link to GameStop requiring fingerprints for all trade-ins. Reason given: Off Topic
The Mods here are the worst I've ever seen. Ever.
#35SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/6/2014 5:37:22 PM
HaloODSTD posted...
SlyCooper23 posted...

Dreamcast would have been absurdly expensive it it had been released 2 years prior, not to mention Saturn would have only been out for 3 years at the time.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#36SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/6/2014 5:39:43 PM
importvita posted...
If you take into account the entire Dremcast library, I would argue that it has an overall better lineup than the PS3/360. Now obviously we live in the FPS era and those of you who would just DIE without your Far Cry, Battlefield, COD, etc. will disagree with me. However, the Dreamcast had an excellent lineup 2 years into existence. At this rate it might take the PS4/Xbone 4 years to catch up to the quality that the Dreamcast had in 2 years.

I'm a massive DC fan, and that first part is just absurd.
---
#37Great_Pudding_3Posted 8/6/2014 7:35:12 PM(edited)
I love my Dreamcast. It's currently hooked up right next to my ps3. Loving some DOA2 right now.

But yeah. It's nostalgia.

In a gun-at-head situation I'd take DOA5U pretty much every time.
---
PS4: MelancholicZen
NNID: Quake Guy
#38Gaara_fanPosted 8/6/2014 7:37:00 PM
HaloODSTD posted...
SlyCooper23 posted...

Dreamcast would have been absurdly expensive it it had been released 2 years prior, not to mention Saturn would have only been out for 3 years at the time.

Sega itself killed Dreamcast without a proper marketing. It wasn't PS2 fault at all.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno
#39SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/6/2014 7:51:27 PM(edited)
Gaara_fan151 posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
SlyCooper23 posted...

Sega itself killed Dreamcast without a proper marketing. It wasn't PS2 fault at all.

That's completely ludicrous, unless you meant to say Saturn instead of Dreamcast. Dreamcast was marketted. It was adequately marketted. Sony's marketing campaign for PS2 was a just a juggernaut.
---
#40Gaara_fanPosted 8/6/2014 7:49:29 PM
Can I say both suffered from marketing issues? DC also suffered from lack of 3rd support.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno