This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to Final Fantasy here

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. New to Final Fantasy here
1 year ago#1
Hi. I was wondering which game from the series would all of you recommend for a first time player. I'm somewhat familiar with Square RPGs since I've played a few Dragon Quest games in the past. I just don't know where to start. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
3DS Friend Code: 2895 - 6673 - 0314 NNID: Vin_Megadiesel
1 year ago#2
FF 13, best in the series
Xbox has the worst fanboys in all of gaming
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
1 year ago#3
You might as well start with 7, it's one of the most highly acclaimed RPGs ever for a reason and it still holds up pretty well. Even though the FF games vary a lot it should still give you a decent idea of whether you'll want to play the others, and if nothing else it's a historically important game that everyone should play just for the sake of context.
--- - My backloggery - My novel, updates weekly
1 year ago#4
The thing about FINAL FANTASY is everyone has their own opinions. many despise VIII and adore VII, many hate VII and love IX. It's a never ending fanboy battle royale and i am generally under the impression that people make these topics because they know we will fight over anything.. But what the hell, i'll bite.

IV, VI, VII, IX, and X are the top ones in many opinions. You cant really go wrong with any of them. III, V, VIII, and XII are all really good too. Final Fantasy Tactics is a great game, if you are into that kind of game. I personally enjoyed XIII but it is far and away the worst Final Fantasy in many many many opinions. I'm sure there are avid fans out there but they are for sure in the minority. Hell, im an avid VIII fan, i know what it's like..

If i were to tell you three must buy FFs, and if you don't like any of them then FF is not for you.. i would say VII, IX, and Tactics. If graphics are not a big deal to you, and you enjoyed VII and IX enough to want to play more then i know you will enjoy IV, VI, VIII, and X. XII is a fairly different experience.. I loved it, many didn't it.

Again, ALL OPINIONS. I'm pretty open minded, I love almost every FF.. and the ones i don't love, i at least like. Even Lightning Returns...........
Not changing signature until FALLOUT 4 is announced! ~6/10/2013
1 year ago#5
Mindwipe77 posted...
FF 13, best in the series

Lol ok ignore that. Its the most easiest and stripped down in the series.

If you have a nds, smart phone or tablet get ffiv and ffvi.

Those are probably the best to start at. This way once you get to Ffvii and like it you have he excuse of its not your first. Ffvii is awesome. Lot of people don't like it just because it's the most popular. But it's popular for a reason.

Then ffviii. Ffviii is my personal favorite but it is very underrated. The rest are eh to be honest. A lot of peep love ffix. Why I don't know. I only liked the ending of the game. It has most satisfying ending in the whole series. But that's about it. Character designs are awefull. Main protagonist is very forgetful. Hell vivi (the black mage) steals the scenes all the time. But other then that Its not really good.

Ffx is just awefull. Losey voice acting t the point you wish it was mute or at least have japanese voices available. Blitz ball mini game is horrendous. First closed world ff. For the maps are very small giving you the feeling like your in one huge dungeon and never outside. Funny thing is the buildings you explore are larger then the outside maps. Storyline though is good. Just another horrible main protagonist.

Ffxii I never got far. The,voice acting in this one is even worse then ffx somehow. And the other thing is it felt and looked like a star wars knockoff. I hated the gambit system. Could never set it up to my style of play so I took control of all the characters. But can't comment on story since I couldn't bear the script nor the voice acting.
1 year ago#6
Oh just for reference I have access to most of the games (from my brother's collections) so buying isn't an issue here.
3DS Friend Code: 2895 - 6673 - 0314 NNID: Vin_Megadiesel
1 year ago#7
Best from the nes and snes are iv and vi.
Vii is the best from ps1. Viii and ix are also good just not quite as good.
X and xii are both good; x has a better story but xii's combat system is a little better, x-2 has good combat system but terrible story
Xiii has the best graphics and one of the best soundtracks (iv has the best imo), xiii-2 & lightning returns both suck
1 year ago#8
4, 6, 7, 9 and 10 are all fine places to start.

5 is one of my favorites too, but it might be a bit tough for a noobie.
3DS FC: 0817-3836-3544 - PSN: Expa0
1 year ago#9
I would suggest you start at #1, skip 2, and continue on until you hit 11. If you start at a later FF, the earlier ones can seem bad in comparison. Also for what it's worth, 1-6 also alternated between jobs and no jobs. Not sure why but it changes the gameplay enough to make each one feel quite different in comparison to the last one, even though it's still turn-based.
I see you talking, but all I hear is syphilis! -Stocking Anarchy
1 year ago#10
IMO you should start with any of the Squaresoft-developed 3D ones (FF7 through FFX).
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. New to Final Fantasy here

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived