This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is the Last of Us a good game? Really, now

#1Terzian313Posted 8/15/2014 10:00:38 AM
I gave it a quick play when it came out. I remember being really anxious while playing it, like I think I was on vacation somewhere and may have not gotten immersed.

But I just remember nothing outstanding at all. The only thing i even remember about the gameplay was dat feel of smashing enemies with a 2x4

And if that's what you're looking for, play Hitman Absolution the chinese new year level... in the middle of a crowd with the sledgehammer (so good)

Really though, I really feel like the crowd thats going wild over the game are just crazy over the story or art direction which certainly does not make a game a game. That's why movies exist

So is TLOU a good game or a good movie? Should I rent it again today?
---
GT: Crimson 1ce - PSN: Felloxx - Steam: is for PC amateurs
#2Mad_CauliflowerPosted 8/15/2014 10:01:54 AM
fire it up, get to a "gameplay" segment and put the controller down and grab some popcorn.

Lemme know how that movie goes for you.
---
Those mostly foul, cry foul the most
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out
#3Terzian313(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 10:04:04 AM
So people don't get confused and off topic, let me clarify.

Can anyone list gameplay features that's outstanding?

Secrets?
Cool weapons?
Optional boss/content?
Ammo conservation/weapon mods?
Fun collectibles?
Best combat/stealth of the genre?

What is it?
---
#4dudupupuPosted 8/15/2014 10:05:43 AM
It's a good experience, but there's nothing all that special about it.

It achieves the realism it's going for and that the masses seek, but at the end of the day, realism pales in comparison to what can be accomplished by a creative world.

I think the achievements it has under its belt led to 10/10s, but I don't think for a second they're deserved.

As you mentioned, games like Hitman, Tomb Raider or even Uncharted 2 are WAY better in terms of gameplay.

As far as story, The Walking Dead did it WAY better.

I don't see the 10/10 appeal, but to each his own I suppose.
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928
#5Terzian313(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 10:05:59 AM
Mad_Cauliflower posted...
fire it up, get to a "gameplay" segment and put the controller down and grab some popcorn.

Lemme know how that movie goes for you.

Why did you put gameplay in quotations and why did you use the word "segment"? Makes it sound like there isn't much gameplay (as I remember. I only played for a few hours IIRC)
---
#6Terzian313(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 10:19:04 AM(edited)
Wow, guess I just completely just shut down this topic.

/topic

Gosh I wish there was a quality new game to play. Can't believe all these movie fans got corralled into my hobby and ruined the market

"GOTY"
Remastering a year old game...

/sigh

back to the year 2000 to play Legend of Dragoon I guess

Note to all TLOU fans: Sell your video games and go buy more movies plz,

EDIT: LOL at video below. Even the review is a 40min long movie!
---
#7RadioOutriderPosted 8/15/2014 10:22:50 AM(edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFhRFWSmFGg

Edit: Oh wow. If I had read the last post before mine, I wouldn't have bothered. TC is either a troll, or ignorant. Move along folks.

Regardless, it's still a great and thoughtful review, and worth a watch.
#8AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/15/2014 10:20:37 AM
My_Unit to the rescuuuuuuuuuuuue!
#9anonymous46773Posted 8/15/2014 10:22:45 AM
Cool weapons? - Nail bombs and the flamethrower were pretty cool. Most of the weapons are fairly standard, though.
Optional boss/content? - Quite a few enemies were "optional" in the terms that you could skip them entirely and save your ammo, IIRC. There are also a decent amount of buildings that you could explore and get more equipment in that could potentially be classified as "optional", I guess.
Ammo conservation/weapon mods? Not much ammo conservation on the lower difficulties, and the only weapon mods I remember making were on melee weapons. There are basic upgrades, though, such as firepower, armor piercing, etc
Fun collectibles? Not much of a collectible guy (I had to look this up), but there are Firefly Pendants, comics, artifacts, and training manuals
Best combat/stealth of the genre? I enjoyed both, and I'm someone who generally doesn't like stealth games. You could take that as a good or bad thing, I suppose.

Only played through the game once, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#10DahlVaughnniPosted 8/15/2014 10:23:58 AM
Terzian313 posted...
I gave it a quick play when it came out. I remember being really anxious while playing it, like I think I was on vacation somewhere and may have not gotten immersed.

But I just remember nothing outstanding at all. The only thing i even remember about the gameplay was dat feel of smashing enemies with a 2x4

And if that's what you're looking for, play Hitman Absolution the chinese new year level... in the middle of a crowd with the sledgehammer (so good)

Really though, I really feel like the crowd thats going wild over the game are just crazy over the story or art direction which certainly does not make a game a game. That's why movies exist

So is TLOU a good game or a good movie? Should I rent it again today?

People like TLOU because of the character interaction between Joel and Ellie. Watching them go from complete strangers to a loving family can be touching for many, especially those with parental issues.
---
No longer reading moderation messages. Mods aren't competent enough to do their jobs so I don't need to waste my time on their notifications.