This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is anyone good with strategy when they play a jrpg game?

#11AlltraPosted 8/19/2014 1:29:37 PM
I can be, when the game dictates I need to be, but most RPG combat devolves into button mashing X.

Now, there are other forms of strategy outside of combat that relate to progression. I'm pretty creative in that regard, but when you boil it down, I tend to find a strategy that is optimal to my desired objective and stay with it, so I can become set in my way.

It's exceedingly rare that a game require strategy to be successful, beyond just brute force or button mashing, and most of those games only accomplish that goal by being restrictive.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#12ElDudorinoPosted 8/19/2014 1:37:25 PM
To be fair, most JRPGs don't offer much in the way of strategy. In most of them, for example, you can't inflict negative statuses on bosses or mess with their stats. You can only mess with your party, but even then your choices might not be much more than "Physical shield, magic shield, damage boost, speed boost, attack, heal."

I tend to play most RPGs underleveled, except for a few like FFX where I get too focused on filling in my pretty sphere grid. I've had to employ some pretty crazy strategies to beat some battles but honestly in the vast majority of games it's pretty much come down to healing and attacking because those are the choices provided.

Sometimes SRPGs can really push you, though. In the original Tactics Ogre, archers got a massive advantage to damage and range and I believe accuracy when attacking from high ground, status effects were serious business and could be used on almost every enemy you fought, and death was permanent (until you got revive magic and necromancy late in the game). You also had to sculpt your party intelligently to be able to tackle a range of possibilities, or train extra party members for unusual battles. You could still just power-level to beat everything, but if you didn't do that then you had to play smart.
#13MR_SorenPosted 8/20/2014 5:37:57 AM
Alltra posted...
It's exceedingly rare that a game require strategy to be successful, beyond just brute force or button mashing, and most of those games only accomplish that goal by being restrictive.

Of course. That's game design 101. Restrictions are very important. Restrictions create opportunities for the players to be creative, resourceful, and strategic.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#14fire21971Posted 8/20/2014 6:22:56 AM
densetsu86 posted...
Try playing games that rely on strategy.

In ffviii monsters and bosses lvl up with you so power leveling does not work. It makes you think about how to equip to get the best stats in lieu of leveling.

Honestly that game is way too easy to break. If you junction the right magic you'll completely destroy everything with ease, no strategy required.
#15shadowenclave47Posted 8/23/2014 4:07:53 PM(edited)
Im also horrible with strategy and i find games harder than most people do so that's why i grind and be overleveled/overpowered in JRPGs and crush everything in my way.

Also i always play on the easiest difficulty.
---
Neptune: I'll nep your face!
Currently playing: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Xillia, P4G, Xenogears