This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?

#11MourningReigns(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 11:20:15 PM
Bruce Wayne is Batman
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#12calhoun1389Posted 8/21/2014 11:28:50 PM
I voted a month. To believe that there should never be a statute of limitations for spoilers is just silly to me. At some point in time, everyone who wanted to play the game should have already played it by then. I'm not saying 1 month should be that time, but still.
---
Behold and gaze upon the magnificent monstrosity what stands before thee; the beast of possibility.
http://backloggery.com/calhoun1389
#13Dash_Dash88Posted 8/22/2014 12:08:05 AM
MourningReigns posted...
Bruce Wayne is Batman

I thought so !
---
Bricks don't roll
PSN Dasha_UK XBL Dasha UK NNID Dasha88
#14CaIiber345Posted 8/22/2014 12:40:56 AM
Blaze21 posted...
I absolutely abhor spoilers. They should never be given without warning.

The worst spoilers are the ones that spring up (without warning of course) in totally unrelated discussions. You know, like someone spoiling Kingdom Hearts on a freaking Persona or Final Fantasy topic/board/article/etc.

This.

I had the ending of RDR spoiled for me in a Call of Duty discussion. I was very upset about it. Lol.
---
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, Bloodborne, DayZ, Destiny, Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 4,
MKX, Rime, SW: Battlefront, The Crew, The Last Guardian.
#15ArsenicSteelPosted 8/22/2014 12:55:57 AM
DBN_Stealth posted...
10 years sound about right, i mean honestly

If that's "about right" then why do most forums have a policy against non-tagged/hidden spoilers?
---
A heretic among heretics.
#16ArsenicSteelPosted 8/22/2014 1:00:48 AM
calhoun1389 posted...
I voted a month. To believe that there should never be a statute of limitations for spoilers is just silly to me. At some point in time, everyone who wanted to play the game should have already played it by then. I'm not saying 1 month should be that time, but still.

That depends on the game and people's awareness of it. Plenty of long running games are on backlogs. A month or any arbitrary timeframe will not by able to account for the time people will need to go through their backlog of games.

The fair thing is to not allow open spoilers and include code to hide information for people that want to discuss a spoiler.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#17riddlebox89Posted 8/22/2014 1:16:14 AM
Five years sounds fine, that's long enough to where most people who were interested in it would've played it, there's absolutely no reason people should have spoiler warnings for games more than five years old and it's ridiculous if it's more than ten years old.

Blaze21 posted...
Yeah, another defense against spoiling. If something is amazing and you want others to enjoy it, is spoiling the hell out of it really the way to go? If a person knows every major thing that's going to happen before it happens, it just won't hold the same impact/significance for them.

That's only because the person telling it to the person who hasn't seen it describes it in a way where it's exaggerated as hell and their expectations get high and then the actual scene itself doesn't meet those expectations because the guy doing the original spoiling exaggerated it so much.

It's the same thing as people over exaggerating the quality of a game itself, people see what they say about it, play it, the game doesn't meet their expectations and their experience with it is lessened because of it.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#18calhoun1389Posted 8/22/2014 1:23:59 AM
ArsenicSteel posted...
That depends on the game and people's awareness of it. Plenty of long running games are on backlogs. A month or any arbitrary timeframe will not by able to account for the time people will need to go through their backlog of games.

The fair thing is to not allow open spoilers and include code to hide information for people that want to discuss a spoiler.

Other people's backlogs shouldn't affect how we talk about games. I'll agree that on general purpose boards, such spoilers should not be in topic titles (thought they should be expected in threads discussing the story of game). My main problem is when unmarked spoilers are banned forever on forums dedicated to the subject at hand. I don't think at all that people should have to put spoiler markings in every single topic title if they're on the appropriate board, just because someone might be lurking before they play the game.

On general purpose boards like this one, I guess I can see waiting until the console generation is over before allowing it, but I don't think it reasonable to ban unmarked discussion of a game's story for all of eternity just because some people managed to miss out on the game.
---
Behold and gaze upon the magnificent monstrosity what stands before thee; the beast of possibility.
http://backloggery.com/calhoun1389
#19blackerfire_Posted 8/22/2014 1:50:04 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
Five years sounds fine, that's long enough to where most people who were interested in it would've played it, there's absolutely no reason people should have spoiler warnings for games more than five years old and it's ridiculous if it's more than ten years old.

Yeah, except for that group of people who were too young or not alive to see/play or otherwise enjoy something when it first came out.

riddlebox89 posted...
That's only because the person telling it to the person who hasn't seen it describes it in a way where it's exaggerated as hell

No. Telling someone who the bad guy is in a mystery/thriller isn't "exaggerating" a story. It's spoiling and ruining the story.

I agree with the other part. Over-hyping something is bad. But spoiling and over-hyping are two totally different things.
#20Garage_ManPosted 8/22/2014 2:00:51 AM
Never. I recently played FF7 and had to look up something because I was lost. Scroll through the comments and see something about the end of disk one.....woow

Absolutely destroyed the game. I finished it and it will forever remain as one of the biggest wastes of 60 hours ever.

I hate spoilers! Know how hard it was to keep in the dark on TLoU this whole year!