This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?
1 year ago#31
DarkSymbiote posted...
Garage_Man posted...
Absolutely destroyed the game. I finished it and it will forever remain as one of the biggest wastes of 60 hours ever.

What? I knew about that particular thing too but that wasn't the entire point of the entire game.

I just really liked her character, I thought she had the most character out of everyone and then when I read the spoiler it just made it incredibly hard to get into. After I finished disk one it was just lame because cloud and tifa I dont relate to.
1 year ago#32
I honestly can't imagine having that FF7 moment spoiled. It was truly something to see, when you didn't expect it at all.
---
Those mostly foul, cry foul the most
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out
1 year ago#33
People just latched onto her because of White Knight syndrome. She was the "cute & nice" girl and made them feel it was a girl they had a chance with in real life. She had as much personality as Cloud.Tifa was too hot, and unobtainable.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
1 year ago#34
silly_sausage posted...
Aeris' death is commonly openly referenced without spoiler warning, and defended as if it's the Citizen Kane "rosebud was his sled" of gaming, the one that everybody knows by now. I say it's more like the Harry Potter "Dumbledore dies" of gaming, in that it was kinda forced into rosebud territory by spoiling trolls, and also in FFVII's case, fanboys who want to feel like their game has reached Citizen Kane level of recognition.

Anyway, I'd say maybe like.... yeah, I guess never. I'll say 50 years though.

The Dumbledore thing literally ruined that series for me. I never read that book or any after, though I read everyone up until that point.
---
Currently playing: Uncharted 2
1 year ago#35
I put a month, mostly because you didn't give an option to put down "you don't have to wait at all". Now this is IMO but I don't and never will under stand the big deal about spoilers. I'm not affected by them at all.

OMG! This person dies! *well...I still want to play the game and see the entire thing to get to that point*

OMG! This person turns evil! *same thing...I still want to play it and see how it happens*

What if you tell me how it happens...I would still want to play the game since I want to see it.

Whenever I read a book I always start on the last chapter and see how it ends. Does that make me not want to read it now? Nope, I go back and start on CH1 or prologue and get going.

Spoilers influence me not one bit. I use them for other people who are affected by them since I'm not the center of the universe but for me they don't affect me at all.
---
Look at those Monsters!!!-Rebecca Chambers, RE1
1 year ago#36
5 years is good enough if you haven't the time to play a popular game during its hype than 5+ years later its your own fault if spoilers.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems.
A Real Ass Gamer would want more Games, not Less, Regardless of the Genre or Console System!
1 year ago#37
Blaze21 posted...
Yeah, another defense against spoiling. If something is amazing and you want others to enjoy it, is spoiling the hell out of it really the way to go? If a person knows every major thing that's going to happen before it happens, it just won't hold the same impact/significance for them.

I knew every major spoiler for the first 3 star wars movies before I ever saw them. Didn't stop me from enjoying them though.

As for the topic, I'd say 1 year is more then good enough. If someone is interested in something and still hasn't gotten around to reading/seeing/playing it after a year, then it's their fault for waiting to long.
---
Topic still active from 2003.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/564341-real-bout-fatal-fury-2/10970719
1 year ago#38
I would have said 3 months, one month is too soon and 6 is a stretch.

I mean com'on, this is the internet where opinions and ideas should be openly expressed. If someone is planning on or is playing a game, why would they go read threads about the game? Doing this just asks for the game to be spoiled. Don't even get me started on people saying that "YouTube spoiled the game for me" - it was their own choice to watch the videos knowing that it could potentially spoil the game for them.

With that said, it's up to the reader to chose what they read/click. I know when I buy a game I avoid forums focused on it/YouTube, like the plague.
---
Common sense isn't always so common.
School of Hard Knocks - Grad.
1 year ago#39
Godzilla_82 posted...
Spoilers influence me not one bit. I use them for other people who are affected by them since I'm not the center of the universe but for me they don't affect me at all.

Tsukasa1891 posted...
I knew every major spoiler for the first 3 star wars movies before I ever saw them. Didn't stop me from enjoying them though.

These are both examples of individuals who don't care about spoilers. As long as people like the two above can respect people who are bothered by spoilers, then frankly I don't give a s*** if they're bothered by it. It's the people who aren't bothered by them and then go around spoiling the f*** out of stuff just cause. There are people who specifically do it just to troll others.

Godzilla_82 posted...
I put a month,

Tsukasa1891 posted...
If someone is interested in something and still hasn't gotten around to reading/seeing/playing it after a year, then it's their fault for waiting to long.

I do still have a problem with random time frames like these. Examples:

What about books that get turned into shows? Like Game of Thrones? According to these dates, it's totally okay for someone to spoil the show for viewers because they read the books 6 years ago.

What about games released in other regions? So it's okay for people who played the JP game to spoil others 1 month after a JP release, but still 5 months before International release. Because yeah, it's been 1 month!!! That's plenty of time!!! If they really wanted to play the game and not be spoiled, their ass should have imported!!!

Bluntified posted...
If someone is planning on or is playing a game, why would they go read threads about the game?

Yeah, if you do this then you're dumb and deserved to be spoiled. However, how do you avoid jerks/trolls doling out unmarked spoilers on a one week old game (Persona 5 for instance) on a Call of Duty board? Hmm? What then?
---
Why insult someone when you can say something nice in a very sarcastic tone?
1 year ago#40
MourningReigns posted...
brolynick posted...
Never. Movies, tv shows, games, people should NEVER spoil something without some type of warning first.

For example I was watching a Youtube video for a random game, went to the comments and immediately saw ''____ from Game Of Thrones dies next season''

HOW THE **** WAS THAT NECESSARY. YOU ****ING POOPSTAIN.

Yes, I still mad

That doesn't really apply to waiting though, does it? Yeah, the books are old but the television show is current. Yeah, you shouldn't spoil something that's going to happen in the future, but if 5 years after the show has ended, you can't say in Season 5 Frank Stanley dies?

That is correct. For example, I only just watched The Shield which ran from 2002 to 2008. I would've been very upset if something got spoiled. Now I just started The Wire which also ran from 2002 to 2008, and something major has already been spoiled for me which sucks. Then of course I also still need to watch The Sopranos and no one even attempts to hide the ending to it.

Not everyone watches TV shows, watches movies or plays games in the time period that they're released. Someone who watches a 20-year-old show should be able to go into that show without any knowledge of what's going to happen.
---
Nothing isn't better or worse than anything. Nothing is just... nothing.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived