This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?

#41ArsenicSteelPosted 8/22/2014 3:25:53 PM
Blaze21 posted...

Bluntified posted...
If someone is planning on or is playing a game, why would they go read threads about the game?

Yeah, if you do this then you're dumb and deserved to be spoiled. However, how do you avoid jerks/trolls doling out unmarked spoilers on a one week old game (Persona 5 for instance) on a Call of Duty board? Hmm? What then?

And yet this site is built on the fact that people come to the forums for games they are interested in and all posts are mod'd for unmarked/warned spoilers. It's not just about people without the game. One person can be on Chapter 13 and another Chapter 2. The person that is farther along does not have the right to spoil the story for anyone else.

There is no way to dictate when a person should play a game. Forums have more information in them and most don't require spoilers.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#42Blaze21Posted 8/22/2014 8:53:07 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...
And yet this site is built on the fact that people come to the forums for games they are interested in and all posts are mod'd for unmarked/warned spoilers.

I agree with your post and understand where it's coming from. However, it's important to take a defensive stance, especially if some spoilers will make you rage. I'm not going to hang out on a board/forum reading random posts to get information. Especially if it's for a game that is apart of an ongoing series that I play, like Kingdom Hearts. Odds are, I'm going to get spoiled.

ArsenicSteel posted...
There is no way to dictate when a person should play a game. Forums have more information in them and most don't require spoilers.

While this is true, it's just how people are. Reading user made reviews and gameplay videos is okay. Hanging out on a forum just cause is a terrible idea.

I do agree that many topics really don't require spoilers. However, most people are self-absorbed jerks and act like you're taking years off of their life if they have to put a freaking spoiler tag or just *spoilers* in the topic title. Or, they act like they're being 'cool and hip' by throwing around spoilers. I've noticed this mainly with KH. The plot is kinda convoluted so people throw around information because they think they're 'cool and smart' for understanding the plot, even if they're adding absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand.
---
Why insult someone when you can say something nice in a very sarcastic tone?
#43arstosPosted 8/22/2014 8:58:13 PM
Six months to a year IMO. If you haven't seen/played it yet by then its obviously not important to you and you'll probably forget about the spoilers by the time you play/watch it.
---
PSN:Dragonlibrarian Steam:Dragonlibrarian7 NNID:Dragonlibrarian
#44loafy013Posted 8/22/2014 9:13:03 PM
I really want to give Netflix a smack when it spoils something for me. Recently watched Sons of Anarchy, and when I came back later to select an episode, I naturally read a summary like "the club is dealing with the death of (person)". I mean really? Now I know that sometime in the next 45 minutes, this person is going to die.
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#45CammyApplePosted 8/22/2014 9:14:20 PM
Using public forums and social networks revokes your "right" to be spoiler free.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
Go hardcore with glitter on the floor.
#46BOZKPosted 8/22/2014 9:37:28 PM
Do you people seriously not know who Luke's father is, what the Matrix really is, know about Tyler Durden, etc.? If you haven't seen them yet and do not know you DESERVE to be spoiled.
---
bro-up or shut up http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/brendogg_od/lolz/1281406266844.jpg http://emotibot.net/pix/6381.gif http://i.imgur.com/zmFRUmQ.png
#47GoatJugSoupPosted 8/22/2014 10:05:31 PM
2 weeks to a month, if they really cared they would have played/watched it in that time imo
---
http://psnprofiles.com/meecegoatsalot
GW2 Character Name: Ranger Goat of Yogi, Guild: Knights of Chicken
#48awesomesauce13Posted 8/22/2014 10:42:58 PM
In a game a spoiler isn't that much of a big deal. I knew about Zeke dying in inFamous 2 before I played it, and it didn't really bother me. I play for the gameplay, not just to watch the cutscenes. With movies it's much more serious.

Still, even though I don't feel it's a big deal, I'll still never spoil anything for a game or a movie for anyone
#49calhoun1389Posted 8/22/2014 11:38:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#50JanayBerryPosted 8/23/2014 12:06:23 AM
I'd say 1-year if it's a hugely popular game.

Just a few days ago, I did a trivia to give away a download code for Skyrim. Since my question was relating to Gears of War 2, and I didn't put the spoiler tag, the post was deleted.

You'd think by this time, people either don't care for for Gears 2, or people should have played the campaign by now. Kinda sucks that a spoiler is bad for a player even if they have never purposely touched the campaign/story.
---
X360 / PSN: KKA OMEGA Jim / Jim_Berry
FFXIV: ARR - http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3089119/