This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: How long should audiences wait to openly discussing spoilers w/o warning?

#61dillpickle69Posted 8/24/2014 9:02:22 PM(edited)
Wow, some of you people are unbelievably self centered. You're saying that there should be a time frame where it's alright to spoil something? I'm gonna list some hypothetical scenarios that show why spoilers shouldn't have a time limit before they're alright, if you don't agree that it at least makes a little sense, you're either trolling or a flat out self centered douche.

-My son, 30 years later, dusts off my old ps3 and starts playing The Last Of Us from my old game collection. He happens to go on this site and goes on a topic on the ps3 board about old shooters, and Bam, someone brings up Tess dying, Joel breaking Ellie out at the end and killing the Fireflies, etc. Still his fault?

-I never touch a FF game, but finally the praise for FFVII catches up to me and I decide to get into it. Again, browsing a topic in this board about best game villains, someone brings up Sepiroth killing Aeris. Still justified?

-I get halfway through MGS3 and I go on the board to discuss how much I like Snake's hairdo. Somehow someone brings up how The Boss dies. Fair?

-I'm doing an AC playthrough and while I'm in the beginning of Brotherhood, I see a topic talking about Lucy's ass. In the topic, someone mentions Desmond stabbing her and her having been a double agent But that's my fault for not playing the game ASAP, right?

Really, it's not that hard to simply either put spoiler tags, or just word your sentence around the spoiler. If you can't put in that 2 seconds of effort to not potentially ruin someone's experience, then that really says something about what kind of person you are.
---
"They don't love you, they won't pet sit your cats. As a matter of fact for fifty cents they'll beat you with a pool stick till your retinas detach."
#62StephieGamerPosted 8/24/2014 9:04:33 PM
Never.
---
My name's Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass. I'm about takin' names. And we're about makin' games.
#63ryan0991Posted 8/24/2014 10:05:28 PM
Just give a spoiler warning. In my experience, the people who argue against never saying spoilers without warning are doing so simply because they're stubborn. They resent having to take a few extra seconds to accommodate a stranger. They'll go to great lengths to argue that it's really your fault for getting spoiled.

Again, just give a goddamn spoiler warning. And stop making it a point of pride to not give one. That just makes you an ass.
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/BOBtheMASTER.jpg
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#64CLupulaPosted 8/25/2014 3:08:17 AM
I'd say never.
#65MR_SorenPosted 8/25/2014 3:17:08 AM
Quote:I honestly can't imagine having that FF7 moment spoiled. It was truly something to see, when you didn't expect it at all.
@Mad_Cauliflower

Somebody spoiled that for me shortly after I started playing. I never played it again. This was sometime in the 1990s.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#66SlyCooper23Posted 8/25/2014 7:24:18 AM
I got modded on here for referring to vader being luke skywalkers father so...
---
"We're not tools of the government or anyone else, fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in''
#67blackerfire_Posted 8/25/2014 8:11:27 AM
dillpickle69 posted...
Really, it's not that hard to simply either put spoiler tags, or just word your sentence around the spoiler. If you can't put in that 2 seconds of effort to not potentially ruin someone's experience, then that really says something about what kind of person you are.

ryan0991 posted...
In my experience, the people who argue against never saying spoilers without warning are doing so simply because they're stubborn. They resent having to take a few extra seconds to accommodate a stranger. They'll go to great lengths to argue that it's really your fault for getting spoiled.

Yep, yep. This and this.

Gaara_fan posted...
If you don't want spoilers, don't visit places that will give you spoilers.

Another poster brought this up, but you can't always predict where a spoiler will turn up. You could be watching a youtube video trailer for Mockingjay and in the top voted comment, somebody is spoiling MGS. In my experience, those are the worst, most unavoidable but fairly common affliction to this problem. See the two above quotes in regards to your attitude.
#68PsychoWolfXPosted 8/25/2014 8:15:57 AM
When there is absolutely no chance anyone will ever play the game again.

I just started the first Mega Man the other day.
---
3DS FC: 2879-0740-0938
- From the desk of Admiral PsychowolfX
#69AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/25/2014 8:23:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#70beardface21Posted 8/25/2014 10:01:21 AM(edited)
1 Month.

1 month is more than enough time to see something/play something.

Also #Firstworldproblems.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18