This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The shorter the game, the better.

#31RPG maniac87Posted 8/23/2014 3:16:30 AM
ShionJrCitrine posted...
It all depends on the game and what you have to do for that length. Alright, 1rst hour of DW7...reading story. 2nd hour zzzzzzzzz...more story. 3rd hour....what the 1st battle just ensued...amazing. SE certainly didn't make the same mistake for DW8.

If you're not entertained by the story, why are you watching it? Play the game however you want to. For some people the story is a bit part of the fun as well.
---
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. -Anais Nin
#32FredericChopinPosted 8/23/2014 7:33:37 AM
Dash_Dash88 posted...
FredericChopin posted...
Battleship_Gray posted...
Deadric_King posted...
The longer the game the better because you get a value from that purchase thats why I like RPGs.

Some folks play games more than once which more, or less, alleviates that issue.

From reading many of the T.C.'s posts, he is looking for a game that is FPS, very short, and has massive amounts of DLC.

You know its all an act don't you ? This is Greer, he hates fps,dlc and everything about the "modern game" to the point that he has been banned a bunch of times for insulting people with differing opinions ! He has some serious issues.

He also sent pics of his junk to users on here during an argument. But please continue kissing his ass in every topic.

Oh yes, I know this is probably Greer.
Nevertheless I find most of the BOZK posts hilarious.
I like him better this way.

I didn't know about the junk pics story though.
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!" - F. Chopin, Eternal Sonata
"DLC you say?! *licks lips*" - BOZK
#33luigi13579Posted 8/23/2014 8:28:55 AM
I wouldn't say there's a 100% correlation, but certainly, I find that a good chunk of longer games pad out their length with pointless, mundane content like fetch quests.

I know it probably seems mad, but I do tend to prefer shorter games with replay value to longer games without much replay value (and even long games with it sometimes). Yes, I'll be repeating a lot of the same content, but if that content is enjoyable right the way through, then it doesn't really matter too much to me. It's even better if there are different paths/choices/endings to play about with, different modes, settings, cheats, unlockables, etc.

Of course, there are longer games that manage these things, but they're definitely rarer than the short games that do so in my eyes.

As for examples, Killer7 is a recent one (it was in my backlog for a number of years). It's not the longest game out there, but I enjoyed it that much that I wanted to replay it straight away. I didn't get round to it, but I definitely will.

Xenoblade is a counter-example: I enjoyed it, but I was glad when it ended honestly. The thought of replaying it almost turns my stomach.

Alpha Protocol is not that long (for an RPG), but it's a blast for me to replay, due to the different ways of going about things.

The Metroid games are good examples. They're fairly short, even if you go for 100%, but fun to replay, especially if you try sequence-breaking.

The Metal Gear Solid games aren't too long, sans cutscenes, but again, they're highly replayable.

Remember the Syphon Filter games? They've maybe not aged so great, but I replayed them many times too.

The list could go on and on.

I suppose none of the games I mentioned are *that* short (compared to many older games, like 8/16-bit 2D sidescrollers), but they still count I think, especially on replays.
#34NovaKaneXPosted 8/23/2014 8:40:20 AM
Long games, WE OFF DAT!
---
"I don't care! I don't give a damn, about the memory of Hulk Hogan!" - Sid Justice
#35FinalXemnasPosted 8/23/2014 8:43:51 AM
MGR Rising
---
"No more eternal than that radiance of yours."
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/DBZ_Freak21.png
#36squall1981Posted 8/23/2014 9:06:48 AM
FredericChopin posted...
Based on this logic, Journey is a great game.

I agree with what Deadric_King said.
#37ArsenicSteelPosted 8/23/2014 9:32:05 AM
Battleship_Gray posted...
Deadric_King posted...
The longer the game the better because you get a value from that purchase thats why I like RPGs.

Some folks play games more than once which more, or less, alleviates that issue.

Actually it makes the issue even more apparent. If a person plays a 20hr game 3 times then that's about 60hrs or less if this subsequent play through goes faster. If that same person places a 40hr game 3 times then that's 120hrs depending on how fast he/she plays.

Of course that's the logic if replaying is the goal and not meeting some hour/dollar value.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#38Battleship_GrayPosted 8/23/2014 9:37:20 AM
ArsenicSteel posted...
Actually it makes the issue even more apparent. If a person plays a 20hr game 3 times then that's about 60hrs or less if this subsequent play through goes faster. If that same person places a 40hr game 3 times then that's 120hrs depending on how fast he/she plays.

Of course that's the logic if replaying is the goal and not meeting some hour/dollar value.

A formula like that isn't really applicable in a broad case. For me I'm much, much, more likely to replay the 20 hour game than the 40 hour game. Moreso replaying a 10 hour game more than an 80 hour game.

Doesn't change the issue at all for me personally.
---
Recent-ish art: http://i.imgur.com/PvtaZDR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/P8IV9R1.jpg http://i.imgur.com/7DMMR48.png
#39rswsc0407Posted 8/23/2014 10:54:41 AM
For me it's around 8-10 hours for most games, 20-40 for RPGs and open world games like GTA or Saint's Row.
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#40dankanefanPosted 8/23/2014 10:56:57 AM
This is definitely another "depends on the game" topic. I love long games sometimes, if the game has deep gameplay that evolves and has a great story to carry you through the entire journey. Short games can be great too as long as they are short for a reason and don't feel too short like the Uncharted games.

It all just really depends.
---
Sac City Gamer - http://www.saccitygamer.com