This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some PS3 hardware and PSN questions:

#1Archimonde123Posted 8/23/2014 8:00:15 AM
So my 80 GB PS3 is flashing red lights and flash a quick yellow light then go back into constantly flashing red light. Apparently there are multiple possible issues going on that causes this. I am trying go weigh my options so my questions are:

1) If I were to buy a new PS3, can I just swap the HDD and my game saves (DLC, digital games) be all transferred or do I have to actually perform a data transfer to the new console?

2) I have a PSN plus membership but if I don't "purchase" a free game for the monthly deal, will I not be able to grab it later? I don't have much time on my hand and there may be a change where I grab the deals. Or do I still get the free deals because I am a member?

Also if anyone has ideas on my issue, I would love advices. From what I have gathered, my PSU is getting a low flow OR I have to apply new thermal paste.

Thank you for your time.
---
I mostly lurk... in fact if you see one of my posts you might as well shoot for the lottery because it's THAT RARE.
#2GiappasBenzPosted 8/23/2014 8:04:38 AM(edited)
1) Data transfer, sorry. The old HDD will be formatted in the new PS3.
2) Use the SEN website to "purchase" Plus titles. No you have to get them manually every time.
#3Archimonde123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 8:08:24 AM
Thank you for the answers! I totally forgot I can just go to the site and get them...

I'll still take any advice for my issues.
---
I mostly lurk... in fact if you see one of my posts you might as well shoot for the lottery because it's THAT RARE.
#4archizzyPosted 8/23/2014 8:41:39 AM
Archimonde123 posted...
So my 80 GB PS3 is flashing red lights and flash a quick yellow light then go back into constantly flashing red light. Apparently there are multiple possible issues going on that causes this. I am trying go weigh my options so my questions are:

1) If I were to buy a new PS3, can I just swap the HDD and my game saves (DLC, digital games) be all transferred or do I have to actually perform a data transfer to the new console?

2) I have a PSN plus membership but if I don't "purchase" a free game for the monthly deal, will I not be able to grab it later? I don't have much time on my hand and there may be a change where I grab the deals. Or do I still get the free deals because I am a member?

Also if anyone has ideas on my issue, I would love advices. From what I have gathered, my PSU is getting a low flow OR I have to apply new thermal paste.

Thank you for your time.

As stated before if you swap HDDs it will make you format right away. If you don't have backups on the cloud or a flash drive the only way to get those saves is get that ps3 working long enough to upload to the cloud, flash drive, or do a data transfer to a new ps3. The cloud would be easiest since you are a ps+ member.

The YLOD (yellow light of death) where you power on, get a brief amber light followed by 3 beeps and shutting down to 3 flashing lights can be a number of things. It just means "general hardware failure". The most common cause of this is a separation of the GPU from the motherboard because of a weakness in the solder/thermal paste that caused the separation failure.

A "reflow" can buy you some time, but it's usually for most a temporary fix. Unless you do a reflow/reball on a system before it fails then the reflow after a failure is often a temporary short term fix though some people have had some long term success.

I personally would just buy a new console but that is up to you, what equipment you have on hand and your level of comfort in fixing it. There are some quality YouTube videos on walking you through the process but if you are going to pay to have it fixed, you're better off just putting that money towards a new system.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5Archimonde123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 3:54:15 PM
Thanks for your input archizzy!

I do have to tools and and comfort to do it (it would be kinda sad as an electrical engineer if I didn't, hahaha). I was thinking about replacing the entire PSU and redo the thermal paste but yes I am thinking about just replacing this with a new PS3 just for longevity purposes.

My biggest concern was my saves. My PS3 can't even start up, it goes straight into a yellow flash then blinks of red lights. I am a Plus member so I do have some of my recent games in the cloud but most of them will be loss...
---