This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Best JRPG released in NA

#21kaminarikidPosted 8/25/2014 5:25:49 AM
Squeeze ffx in there and you'd have a nice list of the most overrated games of all time.
---
Just because a game gets Best Wii Game Of The Year, doesn't make it good.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Kaminari_Kid.png
#22SuperOverlordPosted 8/25/2014 5:32:03 AM
Disgaea series
#23nanofazz97Posted 8/25/2014 5:39:35 AM
cnkern posted...
ComradeRyan posted...
Dark Souls II.

Dark souls 1

Neither one of them are JRPGs. They do not qualify.
#24nanofazz97Posted 8/25/2014 5:42:09 AM
I would say either Kingdom Hearts 1 or Final Fantasy X. I think both of these games are the best overall JRPGs I've ever played. Good, comprehensible storyline, great graphics, great battle combat, and both games were very challenging.

Yes, even though I like the PS3 more than the PS2, I will admit that the PS2 definitely had the JRPGs.
#25My_UnitPosted 8/25/2014 5:44:03 AM
FFVII is better than any other jrpg. It should be winning, but people are trying to be hipsters and go against whats popular. Quite sad.
---
The Last of Us is the greatest game in the last decade. There is no argument. Number of people who agree - 410
#26nanofazz97Posted 8/25/2014 5:44:32 AM
My_Unit posted...
Garage_Man posted...
You don't have FF9 or even FFX which is MILES better than 7. Sorry bro, can't take you seriously if you think FF7 is one of the best JRPG games.

7 is the most successful out of every FF. There is a reason it is the most popular FF to date. The game is fantastic in every way.

I have to agree with the first guy. Both FF IX and X were way better than FF VII. FF VII isn't even playable by todays standards (it looks that bad), but FF IX and the remastered FF X hold up extremely well in 2014.

I also liked the storylines of those games much more than that of VII.
#27MR_SorenPosted 8/25/2014 6:23:12 AM
nanofazz97 posted...
cnkern posted...
ComradeRyan posted...
Dark Souls II.

Dark souls 1

I've always hated the terms JRPG and WRPG. They are regional designations, but then some RPGs made in Japan aren't actually JRPGs because it's apparently a style rather than a point of origin.

The funny thing is that the origins of so-called JRPGs were an attempt to copy early Western-developed RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima. They became Megami Tensei and Dragon Quest. Nowdays, WRPG seems to be defined as "Whatever Bethesda and Bioware" are doing, Wizardry has become a Japanese series, and plenty of games like Dark Souls don't really fit anywhere in this narrow naming convention.

Even more ridiculous is that Magna Carta gets called a KRPG because it's from Korea, going back to the point of origin designations that are supposedly not how JRPG and WRPG are defined. And it's not like there are a ton of other RPGs coming out of Korea with a similar style that gives the KRPG designation any meaning.

I wish these terms would be eliminated from gaming. It's just as annoying as the hardcore/casual thing.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#28ArsenicSteelPosted 8/25/2014 7:24:45 AM
MR_Soren posted...
nanofazz97 posted...
cnkern posted...
ComradeRyan posted...
Dark Souls II.

Dark souls 1

I've always hated the terms JRPG and WRPG. They are regional designations, but then some RPGs made in Japan aren't actually JRPGs because it's apparently a style rather than a point of origin.

No, it's a point of origin that only partially indicates what styles may be used. Bollywood is a term used in a similar way. Movies made in Bombay and by Bombay studios qualify as Bollywood films. Even if America or any other country could replicate the style an America styled Bollywood film would not be actually be Bollywood.

We also have terms like JDrama, Kpop, JRock...etc. All those denote the same thing as JRPG. Country of origin and possible style differences from other products.

JRPG is the same. Some gamers are just dense.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#29bigtim777Posted 8/25/2014 7:42:30 AM
ArsenicSteel posted...
MR_Soren posted...
nanofazz97 posted...
cnkern posted...
ComradeRyan posted...
Dark Souls II.

Dark souls 1

No, it's a point of origin that only partially indicates what styles may be used. Bollywood is a term used in a similar way. Movies made in Bombay and by Bombay studios qualify as Bollywood films. Even if America or any other country could replicate the style an America styled Bollywood film would not be actually be Bollywood.

We also have terms like JDrama, Kpop, JRock...etc. All those denote the same thing as JRPG. Country of origin and possible style differences from other products.

JRPG is the same. Some gamers are just dense.

To avoid any unnecessary displease from other users I prefer calling the Souls-series as action RPG's.

I hate those WRPG or JRPG terms anyway. -,-

They should not exist in the first place in my opinion.
---
TotA > ToX2 > ToS > ToX > ToE > RM > ToGf > DotnW
VI>XIII>LRXIII>IV-AY>V>IV>XIII-2>X>III>I>II
#30ArsenicSteelPosted 8/25/2014 8:03:43 AM
ARPG is fighting style Xillia 2 is an ARPG too.
---
A heretic among heretics.