This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WHEN ONLINE SERVER gets taken down, what happens?

#1GSP7Posted 8/27/2014 6:50:17 PM
Do they do a final update to the game to let you play unlimited offline? I'm talking about games that are only online with no disc release version like Ace Combat Infinity.
#2MourningReignsPosted 8/27/2014 6:53:10 PM
If it's an online only game, it becomes useless. If it's a digital only game, it's just eating HDD space.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#3GSP7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2014 7:56:23 PM
So in general, they don't care about letting players continue to play at least single player when servers are taken down? So like in Ace Combat Infinity, the players who spent a ton of money to upgrade their planes, etc. lose their investment when servers are taken down for good?
#4akuma634Posted 8/27/2014 8:02:10 PM
It depends on the publisher. For example, there was GameSpy shutting down and EA didn't care to fix the 50 something older games that were affected. You also have games that have online directly from the company and not a 3rd party service where they'll just pull the plug when they feel like it. Not many companies want to keep games online forever unless there is a way to keep making money from it.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#5SalvadorzamoPosted 8/27/2014 8:28:07 PM
All hail a completely online future!
---
PSN: Salvadorzamo
#6BurgerTime79Posted 8/27/2014 8:33:50 PM
GSP7 posted...
So in general, they don't care about letting players continue to play at least single player when servers are taken down? So like in Ace Combat Infinity, the players who spent a ton of money to upgrade their planes, etc. lose their investment when servers are taken down for good?

Look at it like that just makes your entire argument ridiculous. It's not that they "don't care" or that gamers are "losing their investment". Online only games are widely known as being a limited time genre. If you don't like that, then simply don't play online only games. There are games that wouldn't be any fun playing them solo, and companies aren't going to go reprogram these games with AI teammates good enough to actually make soloing a game workable. Especially if it's an MMO. That's not them being lazy. That's them seeing that it's not worth the labor to please the vocal minority that doesn't understand the concept of what happens to an online game when it's done.

But hey, at least you're talking about online games. There are people who flip out and rage because they refuse to play the offline modes of any game they own, and the online went down.
---
Classic Gaming Expo _ Sept 12-14 Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas
#7Gaara_fanPosted 8/27/2014 9:47:35 PM
FYI: All games with online mode provided by publisher itself puts a disclaimer in their EULA as they usually establish a given time for servers to work but after that, it's up entire to publisher whether to maintain servers online or not. I know for example Atlus still keep servers online for Demon's Souls for much longer they planned to.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno
#8Arrowsedge89Posted 8/28/2014 6:31:54 AM
I remember the day MAG became a coaster..
---
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
http://www.youtube.com/user/JensenIncorporated
#9GiappasBenzPosted 8/28/2014 6:43:06 AM(edited)
Arrowsedge89 posted...
I remember the day MAG became a coaster..

Well i remember Twisted Metal Black Online on PS2 but i think it's still playable through XLink Kai with bots and real players.
#10GSP7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2014 4:34:13 PM
I'm talking about Ace Combat Infinity that sold an "unlimited campaign ticket" with so far 7 of 8 missions released for single player that needs to be online to play them. Can't play single player offline. This is my first and only PS3 online playing experience.