This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Souls series is not a JRPG

#1carsaucePosted 9/3/2014 2:43:47 PM(edited)
SERIOUSLY, Dark Souls Demon Souls Hell bound Souls
whatever you want to call it, ain't even going to change the style of what a true JRPG shall be.
Shadow Hearts is the only series that should at least still cater as a JRPG.
if this is the the game that changes JRPG. You gotta be kidding me. This series is dark demented and truly a challenge to play.
If you gotta call this a JRPG, we need a new term for this.
I would say this is action oriented Japanese role playing horror.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#2BLAZE_92XPosted 9/3/2014 2:42:42 PM
You're wrong
---
http://i.imgur.com/xYTokLF.jpg
#3EbonTitaniumPosted 9/3/2014 2:46:05 PM
It's a JRPG.
---
What can I say? I love a badass woman.
#4SongstaPosted 9/3/2014 2:46:50 PM
Seriously why do you care?

I think people consider the souls game jrpg's because its a rpg made in japan lol. Imagine if mass effect or the witcher games were made in japan.
#5nanofazz97Posted 9/3/2014 2:47:17 PM
I agree with TC.

The Souls games are not JRPGs in any way.

They are Japanese made, Western styled action RPGs.

JRPGs are actually quite obvious. They usually have extreme anime character design, corny dialogue, weird sense of humor, etc.

The three Souls games have none of these features. They are definitely more reminiscent of your typical medieval dark fantasy western RPG.
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/3/2014 2:55:22 PM(edited)
They certainly aren't WRPGs.

nanofazz97 posted...
They are definitely more reminiscent of your typical medieval dark fantasy western RPG.

They may be slightly reminiscent of a handful of action-dungeon crawlers, like Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, but those are atypical.

It plays a lot more like a melange of Castlevania, Dark Cloud and Metroid. With a touch of Monster Hunter.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#7SchoolRumblePosted 9/3/2014 2:48:48 PM
weaboo's piss me off
---
PSN: BlindyTwo
Gamertag: Blindy II
#8Scene13Posted 9/3/2014 2:49:02 PM
Technically it would be a Japanese Action Role Playing Game.

But I don't think JARPG sounds that good, go JRPG it is.
---
/glassesadjust
"I already play Dead-is-Dead in real life. I'm doing fairly well at it too." - VT-14
#9carsauce(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 2:49:51 PM
No I'm right.
A new fan boy community who enjoys this series and states it as the new JRPG.
I'm glad other developers take action to keep making what a true JRPG will be Square Enix, Atlus, NiS, Monolith, Falcom, Nintendo, Sega, and Namco.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#10carsauce(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 2:53:02 PM
I know it's Japanese made I done my homework but this ain't what will be the memorable JRPGS.
Thus why Final Fantasy goes on why Ys still goes on and Tales series as well keeps on going.
I'm glad we still have the developers who keep the real style of JRPGs going on strong.
---