Alan Wake deserves a 5 out of 10 at most... *SPOILERS*

#1Parham66Posted 3/21/2012 10:28:28 AM
You've probably noticed how high the scores of Alan Wake are and how critics praised the game. I don't know why or how it got them but I can tell you that they're all a lie.

This game is seriously overrated. It hardly deserves a 5 out of 10. This is really a poor game. Why? I'm gonna explain why and defend my review in this topic.

** SPOILER WARNING **
1. Critical Plot holes:

a) The game says that Cauldron Lake gives life to pieces of art. That means "whatever" any writer, including Alan Wake & Thomas Zane writes there, will come to life. So if that's true, why did Thomas Zane "pay for making an easy end"? Why didn't his "easy way out" didn't work?
b) Alan Wake finds pieces of his manuscript along the way which tells him the future but (after reading them) he acts like he has no idea what's going to happen next and gets surprised many times.
c) Why did Alan Wake "write his escape in the story" just to go back to where he escaped and write an ending? Why didn't he just write the ending instead of making an escape attempt and going back to where he escaped in the end?
d) What the hell is "The Clicker"?

2. Game play lacks depth:

a) Only two or three different enemy types, though all of them look the same.
b) Weapons are basically the same, only different in size and looks.
c) No upgrades, level ups, replay value, bonus arts or anything like these.
d) You don't feel any progress at all.
e) Camera sucks.

3. Weak level design and many bugs:

a) Fairly linear, not much exploration.
b) Very easy and pointless puzzles (if you can call them puzzles).
c) Buggy! You get stuck in objects, fall through passages and the game crashes every one second.

4. The game is NOT scary:

a) The game goes into slow motion when battles start and shows you the position of enemies.
b) Enemies only include humans that look pretty normal except wearing liquid darkness clothes.
---
For the sake of Role-Playing, EAT THAT ****!!!
#2olgert56Posted 3/21/2012 3:07:10 PM

1.  "The Darkness" has a will of its own and it makes things hard. That's why the easy ending didn't work for Zane. Wake is in the pursuit of saving his wife and in the process learns that he may be able to stop the darkness. So that's his primary goal. I don't remember points where he shows surprise. Can you tell me a couple? Not everything he wrote happens exactly as he wrote them anyway so surprise is understandable at some points. I don't remember exactly, but the clicker was a little flashlight that he had when he was little because he was afraid of the darkness. He uses it in the end because it was an object of great significance. Again, it's a story that he wrote so things are possible, lol.... Finally, the game opens by saying that in a horror story the evil should be mysterious. That's how it remains. I mean, right then and there, at the very beginning, you should have realized that not much is going to be explained.

2. So what if you don't like that there are no level ups, upgrades and no different enemies? Everyone else has to like them too? You've been spoiled by this recent trend that everything has to have level ups and upgrades. The game progresses through the story, and it does conveys that progress very well. I don't know why you feel it doesn't. Camera is great too. Learn to play with it.

3. Nothing wrong with it being linear...Perhaps the designers didn't want to make hard puzzles... Show me a game with no bugs.

4. Again, so what? The slow motion and the showing of the enemies should tell you that the design was so that it wasn't scary but more like intense. Nothing wrong with humans only, but it would have been nice to have some wild animals. I agree on that one.

I think you're just confusing what the game wants to be with what you want it to be. If you wanted a kind of open world game, with options and upgrades and stuff like that then you won't find it here. It wasn't designed like that. It was designed around the story and atmosphere. When you review a game, review it for what it sets out to be and whether it accomplishes that. If you review games for what you want them to be then you would find lots of 5/10 out there. If you gave it a 7/10 of ten I would have understood but 5 is just wrong.

#3Parham66(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2012 9:14:05 PM
olgert56 posted...
1. "The Darkness" has a will of its own and it makes things hard. That's why the easy ending didn't work for Zane. Wake is in the pursuit of saving his wife and in the process learns that he may be able to stop the darkness. So that's his primary goal. I don't remember points where he shows surprise. Can you tell me a couple? Not everything he wrote happens exactly as he wrote them anyway so surprise is understandable at some points. I don't remember exactly, but the clicker was a little flashlight that he had when he was little because he was afraid of the darkness. He uses it in the end because it was an object of great significance. Again, it's a story that he wrote so things are possible, lol.... Finally, the game opens by saying that in a horror story the evil should be mysterious. That's how it remains. I mean, right then and there, at the very beginning, you should have realized that not much is going to be explained.2. So what if you don't like that there are no level ups, upgrades and no different enemies? Everyone else has to like them too? You've been spoiled by this recent trend that everything has to have level ups and upgrades. The game progresses through the story, and it does conveys that progress very well. I don't know why you feel it doesn't. Camera is great too. Learn to play with it.3. Nothing wrong with it being linear...Perhaps the designers didn't want to make hard puzzles... Show me a game with no bugs.4. Again, so what? The slow motion and the showing of the enemies should tell you that the design was so that it wasn't scary but more like intense. Nothing wrong with humans only, but it would have been nice to have some wild animals. I agree on that one. I think you're just confusing what the game wants to be with what you want it to be. If you wanted a kind of open world game, with options and upgrades and stuff like that then you won't find it here. It wasn't designed like that. It was designed around the story and atmosphere. When you review a game, review it for what it sets out to be and whether it accomplishes that. If you review games for what you want them to be then you would find lots of 5/10 out there. If you gave it a 7/10 of ten I would have understood but 5 is just wrong.

1. Clicker looks like anything but a flashlight. It looks more like a fuse! And if the dark presence has a will of its own and can change things, why does it need a writer to make things it wants happen? Why can the dark presence make them happens itself if he has the power and will to change things? Also saying "evil should be mysterious" doesn't justify not explaining about it. You can say "having weapons makes the game easy" and then leave players without weapons and saying I've told you, you're not going to have any guns, just run! Is that OK?

2. Camera is not great because the crosshair is actually Alan's flashlight. Camera sometimes shows the right side of screen and sometimes shows the left side of screen. With flashlight being the crosshair, this kind of camera makes playing pretty difficult.

3. Then they shouldn't have made any puzzles at all because these puzzles make people laugh. And if you want a game without bugs go play Chess. I'm not complaining because the game HAS bugs, but because the game HAS MANY bugs. I've lost count of times I fell through objects and got stuck...

4. So what? The game's genre is Horror and it doesn't have to be scary; only intense? Nice, CAPCOM would agree with you but not me. I think I made my point pretty clear...And about enemies, I'm not complaining for them being only humans, I'm complaining because there's only two or three different types of enemies. That's too much, isn't it?

Considering what the game wants to be, 5 is quite enough for it. Considering what I want the game to be, I should have given a 2.
---
For the sake of Role-Playing, EAT THAT ****!!!
#4olgert56Posted 3/22/2012 11:29:17 AM

1. Like I said, I don't remember exactly what it was. The point is it produces light. Your question about the darkness is part of the mystery. It's like in those movies where the evil has to be unleashed. Until then it waits. Same here... it was unleashed through a book's story. It made it it's own. It's still bound to what the book says happens, but it twists it to its favor...there is a movie like this but I can't remember. If you don't like it that's fine. It just have to make sense in the context of the game. The "evil should be mysterious" is a philosophy in the horror genre. Apparently, Stephen King has said that and I believe H.P. Lovecraft went along the same lines. So it does mean you don't have to explain it. That's the entire point.
I don't understand the example with the weapons, sorry....

2. Camera movement is fine. Whether your character is to the left or to the right doesn't matter because the flashlight points to the center of the screen and you move the mouse left, right, up, down anyway. Dodging is easy and fun. If you don't like "Shift" change it to another button you find easier. This somewhat "disorienting" camera is used in many games of this type so it's not something new. Perhaps you're just not used to it. I learned it within the tutorial.

3. Well, again, those "puzzles" are not really puzzles. They're just obstacles really.. You're just exaggerating it because you don't like them. Chess is a board game, not a video game. Is there a video game with no bugs? No. If you're experiencing many then that sucks but I didn't have bugs or any crashes. It ran buttery smooth on my system. Perhaps the game doesn't like your setup. There are games like that.

4. Is it horror? I thought it was an action thriller game. It can have horror elements, but that doesn't make it horror. But it's managed to scare quite a lot of people so calling it horror is still justified. Since it's focus is on the action (the game clearly makes this obvious), I think it's safe to say that "intense" is what the developers were going for....also, screw Capcom.

I already agreed on the enemies.....

So, again, if you consider what the game wants to be, it should get at least a 7. What you want it to be is subjective and I don't really care about what score you give it. When I read reviews, if I see they're subjective I stop reading them usually...

#5p00pzPosted 3/25/2012 12:47:18 PM

this was a stupid boring game. the selling point was years ago with the advanced graphics, which are standard if not dated today.

#6noob_gamerguyPosted 3/25/2012 9:02:06 PM
LoL these Graphics are Not dated, but pretty advanced stuff. I think this is the only game ever (even on PC) where ALL the lights and shadows are 100% fully dynamic. Pretty cool custom physics and the detailed Jacket lol
#7hastegaPosted 4/8/2012 5:15:50 AM
I agree. This game is so bad, I can't even believe it. Run from A to B on an extremely linear track, (feels like I'm playing a rail-shooter, only with worse combat) kill some shadow-men with axes, watch cut-scene. Repeat until game is over. They could at least have tried to make it scary.

The graphics are amazing though, but who cares?
---
How do i breed -Confused and Dazed
#8KickablePosted 4/8/2012 11:27:25 PM
the effects are nice when you combine them all it easily offsets any downside to low texture resolution IMO. but that's at the bottom of the list of what's good about the game IMO so whatever. i don't think it was supposed to be scary outside of just startling you all of a sudden or so dark you feel helpless, or just weird. some park ranger chasing you around with an axe kinda loses it's scariness once he tells you to renew your fishing license or the other occupational phrases you hear in the game. with the exception of something like Silent Hill's creatures, the bar for scariness in games now is low and if this game had a little more creature variety it wouldn't be any less scary than everything else out today
#9MikeGnzPosted 4/21/2012 2:30:30 PM

c) No upgrades, level ups, replay value, bonus arts or anything like these.

Actually, Alan's sprint duration gets longer and longer as the game goes on. Sprinting in Episode 5 lasts longer than Episode 1.
---
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8413/zangoosebyhartlesslazer.jpg
Wait...so then what the hell do I do with all these scissors!?
#10bunnyjoeyjrPosted 4/24/2012 1:17:44 PM
To each his own but i loved this game. I love Remedy's style of story telling, for me its the closest i am ever going to get to being in a real life twilight zone episode....i hope!