Why do people say Kojima sold out with this game?

#1cartelwarlordPosted 1/6/2008 7:47:09 AM
Just because it wasn't bastard complicated like MGS:2?
---
Currently playing: Guitar Hero III, Mario Galaxy, Phantom Hourglass, Sonic Gems collection.
#2sith_acolyte15Posted 1/6/2008 9:09:07 AM
Because they're picky gamers. Or, it's just the new fad.

I'm leaning toward the latter.
---
LionHart627 why do you spend so much time on the MGS4 board since you know you'll hate and never play the game? Do you not know you're trolling?
#3hrognamalPosted 1/6/2008 10:21:58 AM
The game has great gameplay, but because Kojima listened to the whiners who complained that the story in MGS2 was to complex he decided to simplify the story.
Kojima also met the complaints with the previous bosses by giving us the Cobra Unit (they introduce themselves - fight - die and explode, no backstory) and that there was too much Codec, by giving us less Codec and optional Radio moments some of which are hugely relevant to the story (Ocelot being the son of The Boss and The Sorrow). This a short summary of why some regard this game as a sell out story-wise.
---
James: I shall kill you with this plank! Even though I picked up a chainsaw earlier in the game...
#4ArucardPosted 1/6/2008 10:24:53 AM
I have never heard anything about Kojima selling out with MGS3.
If you heard this slander before I suggest you start considering this person's opinions as worthless.

---
:..:Addicted to misery:..:
#5hrognamalPosted 1/6/2008 12:03:48 PM
Well, then. How would you explain the drastic change between MGS2 and MGS3 story-wise?
Yoji Shinkawa already confirmed that players had complained that the bosses talked too much. So Kojima shortened it too an introduction (I am The Pain), the fight, and a quick death (microbomb) without post-defeat speech.
---
James: I shall kill you with this plank! Even though I picked up a chainsaw earlier in the game...
#6ArucardPosted 1/7/2008 4:05:52 AM
And taking critiques into account when improving a game is selling out... why exactly?

---
:..:Addicted to misery:..:
#7hrognamalPosted 1/7/2008 9:08:11 AM
Destroying boss characters is improving? Wow! This is new. The Cobra Unit were disappointing as characters and most of them were easy to beat. MGS1 and 2 had great bosses and great dialog that gave them backstories and made the bosses interesting.
---
#8sith_acolyte15Posted 1/7/2008 11:09:15 AM
Destroying boss characters is improving?

"Destroying"? There's an exaggeration for ya.

The Cobra Unit were disappointing as characters

How so? Some of them were really interesting. If you took the time to find out why they were, the way they were.

and most of them were easy to beat

Maybe you should play on a higher level than "easy" on your next play-through.
---
Peter's Law: If something can go wrong, fix it! To hell with Murphy!
#9j_person_425Posted 1/7/2008 3:16:28 PM
I really don't see how there's anything wrong with this one. So what if the story is a little streamlined? Just because he made some of the important stuff optional doesn't make it any worse. The people who really want to know what's going on can just find out for themselves by checking the radio.

The bosses making big dramatic speeches after being shot three hundred times was always a little annoying too. It's not like you have to know the life story of a bunch of characters who aren't significant players in the story anyway.

I think this was a huge improvement gameplay wise too. There's always something new to discover in this one. Who cares anyway one way or another? It's just a game anyway. MGS4 looks like it's going back to the crazy story and characters too. At least there wasn't eight or nine plot twists put in within the last twenty minutes of gameplay like 2, not that it wasn't an awesome game either. Just chill out.
---
I have no nose and I must sneeze!!
#10hrognamalPosted 1/7/2008 6:17:55 PM
"Destroying"? There's an exaggeration for ya."

- Untrue. They were not interesting like the bosses of the other games and felt rushed and just lousy characters.

"How so? Some of them were really interesting. If you took the time to find out why they were, the way they were."

- Oh, yeah. A lot of stuff was revealed about them. False. I know the game script inside out and if interesting you mean: "He can control bees" or "He's got a powerful flame thrower" or "He's using advanced stealth camouflage" Those aren't backstories. Maybe the microbomb was one. The only one who was a bit interesting was The End. He was the only one who had a semi-backstory.

"Maybe you should play on a higher level than "easy" on your next play-through."

- I've played on Easy and Normal and they weren't really that difficult. I tried Hard, but I couldn't get far enough through the game. And I won't even try Extreme or European Extreme.

---