This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Project M the Result of Brawl Vs. Melee Wars?

#1ThatGuyZPosted 4/24/2012 11:44:22 AM
I played the demo last week, and after playing it, I realized what it was that turned me off from Melee: physics are all-around too heavy, but that's besides the point.

Normally my game club will acknowledge that Melee is BEYOND the definition of a "true competitive" fighter for various reasons, and then a discussion occured between all of us of what should've been fixed between the two. So I ask, was this Demo made simply because people were bored, hated Brawl, liked Brawl but wanted Melee in it or what? I'm curious.
---
There's blood on my 3DS-here's the number to save it;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#2JetAurionPosted 4/24/2012 1:15:47 PM
It seems to me all the P:M team wanted was Melee but with Brawl's extra content.
---
No bra can withstand the might of Haku's heaving chesticles.
-UriChan
#3MetalKirbyPlushPosted 4/24/2012 1:29:54 PM
During Brawl+'s development, there were a good number of people that were really hoping for the new Melee out of it. Project M essentially delivers that.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#4ThatGuyZ(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2012 4:04:34 PM
Sorry for the late replies, but thank you two for the info.
---
There's blood on my 3DS-here's the number to save it;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#5HabefietPosted 4/25/2012 9:17:14 PM
JetAurion posted...
It seems to me all the P:M team wanted was Melee but with Brawl's extra content.

That's underselling things a bit.

They wanted a sequel to Melee that stayed true to Melee's playstyle, with Brawl's extra content and more (they're adding stages, y'know--at the moment new stages are kind of placed over old ones, like Hyrule Castle is there but Bridge of Eldin is gone, but the plan is to have them all there in the end), and also a game that is balanced. To that end, they're modifying characters HEAVILY to try and make all the characters as equal as they can. Ex. Bowser's got some crazy super armor gimmicks that make his attacks not as terrible, Sonic's moveset has been altered in a couple big ways, etc. And after this demo's been out a while, if any characters are clearly overpowered or underpowered, they're going to continue modifying them to try and bring them all to the same level.

It's astoundingly cool, imo. But then, I'm a Melee for life kinda guy. So. :D
---
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos.
#6JetAurionPosted 4/25/2012 11:00:57 PM
So, in essence, Brawl's stuff but with Melee's gimmicks. :/
---
No bra can withstand the might of Haku's heaving chesticles.
-UriChan
#7Dark_SilverXPosted 4/26/2012 12:03:59 AM
Hopefully they add Roy and Mewtwo.
---
Carmine is a beast. No matter how many times he dies.
#8HabefietPosted 4/26/2012 10:13:12 AM
JetAurion posted...
So, in essence, Brawl's stuff but with Melee's gimmicks. :/

What's meant by Melee's "gimmicks?" If you're talking about advanced techs, it isn't like Brawl doesn't have plenty of those, just different ones. And the devs are keeping some of Brawl's ATs in Project: M you know.

And again, you're choosing to ignore the entire balance thing. None of the Smash games have been balanced. They're trying to make every character roughly equivalent by changing or buffing not-top-tier characters in various capacities. That's really, really cool. Each game has at least one character that just plain invalidates like half the cast at high level play. They're trying to change that.

You know, I think one or two of the devs have GameFAQs accounts. Maybe they'll swing by and write a more eloquent response.
---
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos.
#9Blingya25Posted 4/26/2012 11:39:58 AM
Dark_SilverX posted...
Hopefully they add Roy and Mewtwo.

I haven't tried the demo, but this is what I want. Mewtwo, with a little bit of balancing and damage and whatnot fixing, he can actually be a good character. Tried him on Melee yesterday and he was actually pretty good. Really OP Recovery and no down time at all besides his side dodge xD
---
`/(o^_^o)\` Raichu!!
TOO BAD, IT'S A RAICHU!!!!
#10RPGMaster95Posted 4/26/2012 12:55:08 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of fan made projects...

I mean we still have melee, hell you can play it on Wii, and its a pure source without fan tampering.

If people want a technical fighter that focuses soley on balance thats why we have games like Street Fighter...

I get it and all, but honestly until Smash Bros has a strong onine community whats the point of fine tuning the game beyond what it already is? So you and your buddies can have a more competetive and SERIOUS experience on your couch?

Seriously unless this was being implemented for a large scale tournament that meant something, or the online was fixed so that one could compete against the world, I'm pretty sure Melee and Brawl provide plenty of competetive on the couch fun with friends.
---
Check out my youtube page =D
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRPGMaster95